Moparts

Anyone ever rebuild a proportioning valve?

Posted By: Carsavior

Anyone ever rebuild a proportioning valve? - 10/16/10 12:31 AM

I have a proporting valve saved from a 74 Newport I'm using on my 65 New Yorker which I put front discs on. After cleaning up the outside of the valve I opened it up and man, am I glad I did. There was enough goo in there to start a goo factory. Anyways I cleaned everything up real good with brake cleaner and put it all back together with brake fluid. Does anyone carry a kit to replace the o-rings and stuff on one of these?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Anyone ever rebuild a proportioning valve? - 10/16/10 01:39 AM

probably could get some good O rings at a hyd supply house. What other soft parts are in there?
Posted By: sah62

Re: Anyone ever rebuild a proportioning valve? - 08/01/11 12:16 AM

Digging up an old thread with new info for my first post:

I've been researching what it takes to rebuild these valves for the last few years. I just finished doing an autopsy and rebuild on a valve that I think was used on several different 1968 - 1970 Mopars. Does yours look like the one in the attached picture?

There are two tricky things about rebuilding these valves:

• Using the right material. EPDM is the best rubber compound for seals that are exposed to brake fluid. The typical o-rings you can get at a parts house made from Nitrile/Buna-N are NOT compatible with brake fluid!
  • Sourcing the special seals that aren't o-rings. I've had them custom made.

I've been reading up on forum policies towards linking to other sites, but I'm not sure if it's OK to provide links to my work since I use my site to sell parts and publish technical information. Is it OK to post links?

Attached picture 6755707-prop-valve-amc-gm-mopar-8.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums