Moparts

Best way to clean up dust covered car body?

Posted By: Diplomat360

Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/08/10 06:07 PM

We recently moved to a new house and in the process of doing so my project car picked up quite the piling of dust all over the car's body.

Hosing it off is not an option (weatherstripping is not on, etc, etc)...

So what has worked for you guys as far as removing the dust and avoiding putting scratches/swirl marks into the paint?

I was thinking of blowing some of it off...but my compressor is not hooked up yet. Spray bottle with lots of cloth changes comes to mind next...I've seen a body shop once clean up an absolutely filthy car this way...body was black, not a single scratch after...but I'm not sure if he used some special detailing mix?

Thanks!
Posted By: DmanSRT71

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/08/10 06:10 PM

I have a "california car duster" from one of those gimmicky car show booths....but it works decent enough that I don't notice any swirls after use. I'm fairly picky too.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/08/10 06:14 PM

Same thing has been happening to mine from general dust collection, and I have it in the garage.

As far as swirl marks go, I'm going to have to have it final polished and waxed once it's completely back together to get rid of the swirl marks, hand marks and such that I am invariably getting on it from working on it and to some degree from washing it. Once it's done i'll be keeping it covered with a dust cover and keeping it dusted off with a California duster between washings.

I just wash the whole car with no glass, no weather strips, nada...inside and out. My interior is out, or I would just be more careful with the water. I final rinse with reverse osmosis filtered water. Then, I use a gas powered leaf blower to get most of the water off then towel dry it. I leave it out in the sun to evaporate the rest of the remaining water.

Attached picture 6239662-IMG_1074(Large).JPG
Posted By: burdar

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/08/10 06:33 PM

I've been using the air compressor first, then using the California car duster. It works good. Just remember that a new duster will leave some oil residue on the paint the first few times you use it. The more dust that gets on the duster the better.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/08/10 06:51 PM

I washed my CA Duster and it was useless afterwords. Had to throw it away.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/08/10 06:58 PM

Quote:

You washed out the treatment of the duster that makes it work. They are not washable.
Blow it off, dust with California duster. Windex and several micro fiber cloths. Then put a car cover on it and no more dust.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/08/10 07:24 PM

Water in a spray bottle and lightly blot it off with a chamois. Don't wipe side to side as that can cause scratches. Rinse the chamois in a bucket of water when it starts to look dirty.

Once the dust is off clean up any streaks or minute water spots with a detail spray and an old cotton t-shirt.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/08/10 09:19 PM

Quote:

I have a "california car duster" from one of those gimmicky car show booths....but it works decent enough that I don't notice any swirls after use. I'm fairly picky too.

I used to have an immaculate '93 Mustang Cobra that was black and CCD was the only way to keep it looking nice. Worked great!
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/09/10 12:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You washed out the treatment of the duster that makes it work. They are not washable.
Blow it off, dust with California duster. Windex and several micro fiber cloths. Then put a car cover on it and no more dust.

...I heard Windex has Ammonia in it, a should not be used on lexan, & plexiglass, but what about the different paints & clear coats?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/09/10 07:41 PM

I use a dry wash product called Dri-Wash & Guard, use it generously and it'll clean heavy dust without scratching.
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/10/10 05:48 PM

If you are careful you can do all but the roof with a garden hose, then do the roof with wet towels. As long as I keep the majority of the water out of the inside of the car it doesn't seem to bother anything.
Posted By: rjsjea

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/10/10 09:27 PM

Leave it until the compressor is hooked up
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/10/10 09:59 PM

Quote:

I use a dry wash product called Dri-Wash & Guard, use it generously and it'll clean heavy dust without scratching.

That's some good stuff there...I have a stash of that for extremely dirty or dusty situations where you can't use any water....
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/10/10 11:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's some good stuff there...I have a stash of that for extremely dirty or dusty situations where you can't use any water....

I love that suff too, been using it for maybe 15 years now. Used it on my black 74 for 15 years and the paint still looks good. Also had guys use it on my dragsters every round, good stuff.
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: Best way to clean up dust covered car body? - 10/11/10 04:59 AM

A leaf blower will also knock off the most of it, if you don't have a compressor.
© 2024 Moparts Forums