Moparts

Tranny problem anybody have any ideas Update -1

Posted By: Boise Chall

Tranny problem anybody have any ideas Update -1 - 10/03/10 04:44 PM

I went for a cruise in my 72 Challenger last night and had some 727 tranny trouble. When I left home it felt like it wanted to stay in 2nd but eventually shifted and did fine. After cruising for for about 30 minutes it started feeling like it was slipping or more like going into neutral. I headed out from the cruise and on the way home it started getting worse it started going into neutral as I was driving when I let off the throttle it would engage again. It finally went into neutral and would not engage at all. I stopped in a parking lot figuring I would need towed home. After about 10 minutes I started the car again and the tranny worked fine for about 3 miles then it did it again. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it worked again. When I got home it wouldn't make it up the slight incline my driveway has. I let it sit for about 10 minutes added some Mercon 5 fluid in it fired it up and was able to back it up and pull it up the driveway to put the car away. I couldn't see any signs of a leak at all. This tranny has about 1,000 street miles on it since a complete rebuild using billet everything and an ACC Boss HOG 3,500 rpm stall converter. Does anybody have any ideas of what could be wrong before I take it back to the guy that built it and get smoke blown up my *ss ?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/03/10 05:08 PM

Last trans I had do that was cured by a fluid and filter change. The filter was getting plugged while it had fluid going through it and after stopping the drain back through it would clean enough gunk out of it to allow fluid flow again. It sounds like either you are plugged up or you are runing low on fluid somehow.
Posted By: moparsquid

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/03/10 05:11 PM

isnt the stall(3500) a bit high for street use?

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/03/10 05:13 PM

If this tranny has a plugged filter after less than 1,000 mile it must have something wrong wouldn't you think? Unless the guy dipped the parts in sawdust before assembly.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/03/10 05:17 PM

I'd drop the pan & good visual/check the 2 band adjustments & as Stump said change the filter & see if that solves it.

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/03/10 05:19 PM

Yes it's way too much stall I need to change it but it came with the rest of the parts for the motor when I bought it. Besides I don't drive the car very much like I said it has less than 1,000 miles on it. It might be safer to say less than 500 miles on it and it's been done for 16 months now.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/03/10 05:22 PM

Quote:

If this tranny has a plugged filter after less than 1,000 mile it must have something wrong wouldn't you think?

sumpin ain't kosher. EDIT but w more thought sure does sound like classic plugged filter/fluid starvation

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/03/10 07:35 PM

I will replace the filter and fluid to see if it fixes it.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/03/10 08:17 PM

If a fluid/filter doesn't fix it the problem is leakage at the front clutch, as the fluid gets warmer and thinner the leakage results in the clutch releasing and no third tgear.

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/04/10 12:29 AM

I checked the tranny fluid and it's full maybe a little over full. I used Mercon 5 tranny fluid and it's black not red not orange just black. the tranny has 887 miles on it as black as it is I don't think it's worth throwing a filter at it and wasting the tranny fluid. What do you guys think.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/04/10 12:31 AM

toast
Posted By: earlybee

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/04/10 12:43 AM

Posted By: johnedod

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/04/10 12:58 AM

If the fluid's black it's full of friction material that should still be on the clutches.

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/04/10 01:05 AM

That's what I thought from the way it was feeling last night. this is the second tranny this company built for me that took a crap in less than 5,000 miles it's getting old.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/04/10 01:17 AM

Pop the pan off and tell us what is on the bottom ...

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/04/10 01:45 AM

I think I'll let the guy that built the tranny do that or the new guy that will build the new tranny that I will charge the guy that built this tranny for. Like I said this is the second tranny this guy / company built that went bad in less than 5,000 miles. The last 1 was in my Vette ( yea I know ) it cost me $1,500 to have the tranny built $500 to have it redone to get it to what I ordered $1,000 to replace the broken shafts after he screwed up when he re-did it causing a 1-2 bang shift and $1,200 for a new glass top that shattered when the shafts broke from the 1-2 bang shift. Yea I know I need a new tranny guy.
Posted By: Cuda67

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/04/10 02:10 AM

Thr trans didn't go into neutral. It was slipping the front clutch. Sounds like the seal rings on the reaction shaft. Yes you smoked the front clutch. Take it back.

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/04/10 03:53 AM

I know it didn't go into neutral that was the only way I could explain it. I plan on calling them in the morning I will post his response after I talk to him.

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/05/10 04:02 AM

I talked to the guy that built the tranny today he said he would warranty it. I need to pull it and bring it to him. He said he would fix the tranny for free and have the converter freshened But if the converter caused the problem then I would have to pay for the converter rebuild. I imagine I'll have to pay for the fluid again also ( merc 5 spendy stuff) What are the chances that the converter caused the problem? he didn't supply the converter so I can only guess that he's going to say the converter caused the problem. The converter is a 3,500 RPM ACC boss hog converter.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/05/10 04:52 AM

Way too many unknown to pinpoint the cause of the failure. I guess the first obvious question is if using a valve body that requires the throttle linkage, are you using the throttle linkage and is it adjusted correctly? Also, are you using a larger trans cooler, and are the lines clean and flowing good? Sorry I have to ask you since it sounds like the trans builder did not do the install.
If all that checks out, then you might want to question the trans builder? If he is cool, maybe he will let you watch him take it apart and and inspect the trans. That way you will know what went out, and maybe find out why?
I have seen a few "mechanics" that though they were transmission rebuilders, but I watched them just replace the frictions and steels, but not even disasemble the clutch pistons to replace the seals which were likely the cause of the failure in the first place
I don't know about the converter? I guess if it was pretty inefficent it could have generated alot of heat?

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/05/10 08:37 AM

No he didn't install it I did. Yes i am running the TV cable it's new and it's adjusted properly. The tranny cooler and tranny lines are new and yes I blew compressed air thru them before I installed them. Although the guy that built this sounds like he knows what he's doing This is the second tranny he built for me that went away in less than 2,000 miles. I paid for all the right parts so It would handle the abuse I told him I was going to put on this tranny I don't know if they actually got put in the tranny or not but I'm sure they did. The last tranny that went away he let me stand there while he took it apart so he was cool that time

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/06/10 01:20 AM

Sounds like your doing everything right. Sorry to sound like a jerk and doubt you, but I don't know you, and I the trans I did last week didn't have any kickdown linkage.
It sounds like you might have to trust your transmission builder? At least he says he will fix it for free?
I think if the slippage was just the converter then the clutches should look good. It is a good idea to have the converter cleaned/checked and rebuilt with all the problems your having.
On the otherhand, I with everyone elses opinion that the clutches are slipping, or there is a really bad fluid leak? You may want to pull the valve body and pressure check the clutches and servos with compressed air, just to see if you notice any really obvious air/pressure leaks.
Posted By: 74Cuda

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/10/10 05:58 AM

I would highly recomend flushing out the trans cooler tank in the radiator because it takes more that compressed air. Because it could be full of crap and it is getting back in the fresh trans causing trouble.
And if you are only running a cooler with your 3500 converter, it should be 1/2 the size of your radiator or the trans will cook itself.

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/10/10 06:21 AM

I have the tranny out of the car now I'm just waiting for the shop that built the tranny to get some free time so we can take the tranny apart. I'm hoping to get it done Monday afternoon. I will post the results after we see what's inside.

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 12:51 AM

Ok the guy that built the tranny was able to take the tranny apart today. He found a cracked pressure plate and all of the valve body bolts finger loose or backed out a couple threads. He said the pressure plate most likely cracked because of heat and the loose bolts on the valve body didn't matter he said it didn't have to be a perfect seal. The filter was full as stumpy said with a bunch of finely ground up aluminum. He said it was the torque converter that went bad and caused the problem. What do you guys think ?????
Posted By: Y3 70 BEE

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 01:06 AM

Whiskey and trans building don't mix. Find a new builder.

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 01:17 AM

He's going to warranty the tranny but it's the torque converter that I'm worried about. If the TC was the problem I don't know if I want to try another one from the same company. The Tc company will fix it for $60 plus shipping but is it worth possibly trashing another tranny ? Could the loose valve body have caused this problem ?
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 01:55 AM

Quote:

all of the valve body bolts finger loose or backed out a couple threads.

What do you guys think ?????

SEE comment above .....

SEE if you can have him FIX the trans that he messed-up .. but be-sure he is sober !
Posted By: johnedod

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 02:18 AM

the loose bolts on the valve body didn't matter he said it didn't have to be a perfect seal

Auto transmissions work by hydraulic pressure. A perfect seal is essential.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 02:35 AM

Quote:

He's going to warranty the tranny but it's the torque converter that I'm worried about. If the TC was the problem I don't know if I want to try another one from the same company. The Tc company will fix it for $60 plus shipping but is it worth possibly trashing another tranny ? Could the loose valve body have caused this problem ?

That puts you in a tough spot. Do you let him screw it up again for "free" or take it elsewhere and pay again? I suppose the fact that it's paid for (and you won't get your money back) means you have to give him another shot. I'm sure the thought isn't comforting...

By the way, how would one know if his TC was bad???

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 04:08 AM

When I pulled the TC drain plug out it was full of metal shavings and I could see broken parts inside. It also had something that looked like a plate that I could move with my finger through the hub about an inch or so each way. I don't know much about TC's but it didn't look like it did when I put it in 900 miles ago. Could the loose valve body be the reason the TC went bad ????
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 02:44 PM

Quote:

Ok the guy that built the tranny was able to take the tranny apart today. He found a cracked pressure plate and all of the valve body bolts finger loose or backed out a couple threads. He said the pressure plate most likely cracked because of heat and the loose bolts on the valve body didn't matter he said it didn't have to be a perfect seal. The filter was full as stumpy said with a bunch of finely ground up aluminum. He said it was the torque converter that went bad and caused the problem. What do you guys think ?????

If it would work with loose bolts, Mother Mopar would not ask for 35 inch pounds of torque on them. Plate warpage was due to fluid pressing on an unsupported plate. IMHO he forgot to tighten the screws.
Craig
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 02:56 PM

Quote:

Which valve body bolts were loose , the ones holding it to the case or the ones holding the halves together ? What did the rear support where the mainshaft rides look like ? If all the crap came from the convertor it should have destroyed that part and the possibly mainshaft.

If he is going to warranty it he knows that what he did had to do with it going south .

I would get a better convertor.

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 03:07 PM

Quote:

the loose bolts on the valve body didn't matter he said it didn't have to be a perfect seal

Thats like saying that it does not matter if the head boles in the engine are loose because the pistons move a lot of air.
That guy needs to be ran out of business, after he repairs your trans, gets you a new converter and you watch him torque the valve body bolts.

How big is your cooler, and are you running the trans fluid through the radiator tank and then through the cooler?
Back in the 70's I ran a B&M J 5000 stall on the street all of the time and it was sweet.
Talk to Rick at A&A transmission and have him build you a nice 3200 stall convereter.

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 04:33 PM

the loose bolts are the ones that hold the valve body to the case. He said everything looked good in the trans except for the 1 cracked pressure plate. He said it would need what he called a "soft rebuild" and everything would need to be cleaned. The cooler I run is 12 x 14 and I have it running through the radiator then through the cooler. My engine temps are normally 180-190 I have 185 T-stat.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 05:06 PM

Be sure all the lines and cooler get a good flushing.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 05:13 PM

Boy the 727 is about the easiest tranny to build if he can't do that he needs to retire. All the crap you see in the converter could have been from the tranny.

If it is a big name converter I would have it rebuilt and sell it. Ask them if anything failed as the tranny guy could just be feeding you another line of crap. Then get a slightly smaller converter if your cam can handle it.

If he knew that he was the one who screwed up he should be able to rebuild the tranny correctly as there are not many trannies simpler than the 727

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 05:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If it would work with loose bolts, Mother Mopar would not ask for 35 inch pounds of torque on them. Plate warpage was due to fluid pressing on an unsupported plate. IMHO he forgot to tighten the screws.
Craig

Maybe that's why they loosened because the spec is 75 inch pounds

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 05:56 PM

Quote:

the loose bolts are the ones that hold the valve body to the case. He said everything looked good in the trans except for the 1 cracked pressure plate. He said it would need what he called a "soft rebuild" and everything would need to be cleaned. The cooler I run is 12 x 14 and I have it running through the radiator then through the cooler. My engine temps are normally 180-190 I have 185 T-stat.

The guy is an if he is trying to tell you them being finger tight is ok. I actually have a gasket between the VB and case in my 2000 Ram 47RE to help against the pressure loss, is it needed , probably not but my trans still works well behind my hot rod Cummins 127k miles later.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 06:30 PM

with metal debris in it, I would take that thing all the way down to the bare case and start over . cleaning everything including the valvebody

AND have the convertor opened up and ck'd

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 06:59 PM

I plan to just buy a new cooler and flush out the lines. The converter is on it's way back to the manufacturer ( ACC ) to be rebuilt or replaced. I know the 727 is an easy trans to build I have built 4 of them. But with the motor I have in this car I wanted a pro to build it so everything was perfect kind of funny huh. I will call the TC company and see if he still wants to warranty it after I tell him what we found in the trans.
Posted By: tonycpe

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 08:37 PM

Just so you know , your trans guy is screwing you.

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 09:44 PM

Quote:

the loose bolts are the ones that hold the valve body to the case. He said everything looked good in the trans except for the 1 cracked pressure plate. He said it would need what he called a "soft rebuild" and everything would need to be cleaned.

Not sure what this guy means by a "soft rebuild"? the whole thing needs to be dissasembled to get it clean. Also, the "cracked pressure plate" comment? What pressure plate cracked? Is he refering to one of the steels in the clutch pack, or a drum piston, or the rear bellvule (sp) spring, or the really thick plates that hold the clutch packs in the drums (not sure how you would crack one?)

Your really in a bad situation. Even if the guy fixes the trans for free, I'm not sure I would trust his work. maybe have him fix it, then have someone go back through it?

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/13/10 10:35 PM

The pressure plate is the thick piece that holds the clutches in the drum. One of the guys said it was heat that cracked it and the guy that built the trans said it didn't look like it got hot at all. ACC the torque converter company said it was the loose valve body that caused the problem. He said he still might warranty it but my guess is when he gets it he'll say I need to buy a new one.

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/20/10 05:30 AM

Any Updates?
Posted By: doctor_mopar

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 10/20/10 08:45 PM

A few years ago I removed my Turbo Action 10 " Converter from my 904 and installed a Boss Hog converter. ( I wanted a little less stall ) It was not worth a Damn and came apart in less than 1000 miles, and left shrapnel all through the trans. Took alot of cleaning, and had metal embedded in clutches ,valve body, governor. When I rebuilt it, I put the Turbo Action converter back in, and threw the Boss Hog out with the trash !

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 11/11/10 12:48 AM

The only updates that I have so far are I'm still waiting for my tranny. It's been almost a month now the guy said that the tranny is done but he doesn't have the converter yet. The converter is supposed to be here Wednesday of next week.
Posted By: crlush

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 11/11/10 02:35 AM

I think its time to find a new tranny guy and converter company (Ive been running a turbo action tc for ten years on the street and track 3800 stahl no problems ever), I love how each guy blames the other.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 11/11/10 03:40 PM

you won't know till he opens the trans..but that 2nd time with the same guy is not looking that good...good luck and let us know

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 11/18/10 03:07 AM

I am supposed to be getting my tranny back tomorrow. I blew all of the old tranny fluid out of the cooling lines and cooler with compressed air. Then I flushed the tranny cooling lines and cooler out using an old electric fuel pump. First I ran diesel fuel through it for about 30 minutes then blew that out with compressed air. Then I ran new tranny fluid through it for about 30 minutes. Will the traces of diesel fuel that might still be in the system cause any problems ?

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 11/19/10 02:50 PM

Ok I got my tranny back yesterday and put the torque converter in it dropped in the first shaft then the second when it engaged the pump the torque converter would not turn it was stuck. I put 2 hands on it and pulled pretty hard with no luck it was stuck. I called the guy that built it and he came and got it. He said that sometimes the pump gets packed too full of grease and will hydraulic. When the converter went in it never moved like the pump was jammed metal to metal. What could cause the pump to jam ?? I'm going to call around this morning and try to find somebody I can trust to open this tranny up to see if it's right before I put it in the car. This guy has been in business for 7 years that I know of and they always seem to be busy when I go to the shop. I don't know how they can stay in business making mistakes like this.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 11/19/10 08:39 PM

If somebody packs it so full of grease that it hydraulics what's going to happen when the engine turns it over?

Attached picture 6309728-Pumpgears.jpg

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas - 11/19/10 08:56 PM

It just didn't feel like a hydraulic it felt more like metal to metal. The converter wouldn't budge in either direction it was locked solid.
Posted By: Johnny Pace

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas Update -1 - 11/19/10 09:59 PM

Let me tell you my similar experience i went through recently that might shed some light on your situation.

i race my dart regularly, it's now a 408 stroker, but at the time only had a 318 that would push the car to low 14's. the tranny was rebuilt and i purchased a 3000 stall B&M converter when it went together..(also i'll point out that a 3500 converter for the street is completely fine...i drove a 4500 to the track every weekend for years without a problem, flash speed and their advertised stall speed are very diff things) any ways, on a pass down the track (on motor) i lost 3rd gear completely, shifted into first, second, every gear but drive. i checked my linkage a thousand times, adjusted it slightly and it appeared to fix the problem...for a week..then it did the same thing...i called my trans guy and gave him h@ll about my 1000 mile tranny blowup i just had.. like your guy he said he'll go through it for free, but also said that my pan full of shavings was most likely a blown converter. i thought he was an idiot until i went to pull the converter off of the pump. the converter had internally blown up and basically ate the front of the pump shaft off..these shavings then clogged the valve body, which restricted pressure for the shift. long story short, i apologized, gave him his deserving $250 for the rebuild and intense cleaning my tranny needed...and then proceeded to call B&M and give them hell instead. they basically said it's out of warranty, i'm on my own, and i basicaly said i'm done with their crap and my next one will be a TCI with an anti baloon plate.
long story short, neither the trans builder or the converter company is gonna own up to it. i know nothing about boss hogg and i work for what we'll call...(americas #1 performance warehouse)..they might be good, no idea...my mistake was running nitrous on a garbage $300 converter, i felt no shudder, shake or anything, and had no idea the converter went until the valve body clogged, also probably only made 20 nitrous passes on the motor, and it had beena bout 5 months since the last one...so learn from that as well..and back to your problem, your tranny builder seems very unprofessional..loose bolts? come on..but that would just cause pressure leaks and stop you from shifting..the other parts found in the pan show his parts failed, either as a result of the converter going, or on thier own....i'd be leaning to his fault since now he also gave you a seized pump, and i'd be the first person to blame a budget converter, but in this case i think it's on him, and the converter and trans both need gone through. if there's shavings in the pan, there's shavings everywhere else. if the converter checks out ok then again better business b this guy...hope my long winded story and opinion helps you.

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas Update -1 - 11/20/10 12:32 AM

The guy that built the tranny just dropped it off. He said that he took the pump out checked everything out and put a new pump in.He said the pump that was in it was just fine it was just stuck. He said he put the new pump in so he could be sure I wouldn't have any problems. If it stops raining tomorrow (I'm working outside because I have my Roadrunner in the garage in bare metal) I will put the tranny in and see how it works and let you guy know. Johny Mac I never ran nitrous in this motor and I only raced it a couple time on the streets ( yea I know ). He cleaned and went completely through the tranny and he replaced my 3500 rpm stall converter with a new one. The new converter has the anti ballooning plate also. If this tranny works for 5,000 or 10,000 miles I'll be happy. I don't think he will do another tranny for me but I will be happy that this didn't end up in court.
Posted By: Johnny Pace

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas Update -1 - 11/20/10 05:06 AM

yeah i wasn't assuming you had nitrous, just saying when a converter goes..it takes the tranny with it..sometimes you get in a bad situation with a smaller or private shop (i have my own horror/almost court appearance story involving a paint job so i hear ya)..but good luck, glad he fixed it for you. hope it hold together this time!

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas Update -1 - 11/20/10 05:21 AM

I think in this case the tranny went and took the converter with it. Don't get Me started on People getting screwed over on paint work. I was on the sh@t end of that stick with an AAR Cuda clone I built and painted a guy and never got paid for it. But I think that would something for a different forum.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Tranny problem anybody have any ideas Update -1 - 11/20/10 10:44 PM

Do what I did 25 years ago. Get a good book. Read it completely. Buy a few tools. Get a spare trans a take your time assembling it. Find a trans whole sale house for the parts, there cheap. If you get stuck ask questions. I got very tired of paying money for failed rebuilds. It is very simple to assemble a 727 that will last for year with 600 H.P.
Good luck Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums