Moparts

Vibrations in drivetrain

Posted By: JonC

Vibrations in drivetrain - 10/02/10 12:49 AM

As I have posted several times in the past, I have a vibration I can't find. I have changed tires, wheels, had the 904 rebuilt with new tailshaft bushing, had a brand new driveshaft built and balanced. I was told by the guy I bought the engine from that is was indeed balanced. I was also told it was an internally balanced engine and came with a neutral dampner. I am using a torque converter with the weights knocked off. What kind of vibrations would one have if it was an externally balanced engine with neutral torque converter and harmonic balancer?? This thing makes me want to get rid of it!!!!!!!!!

Re: Vibrations in drivetrain - 10/02/10 12:50 AM

I forgot to mention, I also tried a different 3rd member.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Vibrations in drivetrain - 10/02/10 12:51 AM

what size of engine is it?

Have you ever check the rear pinion angle?

Re: Vibrations in drivetrain - 10/02/10 12:54 AM

It's a 340, I haven't checked the rear pinion angle but it looks like it is about parallel with the drive shaft on the ground. I have played with air shocks on the rear in different positions and doesn't change anything at all.
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: Vibrations in drivetrain - 10/02/10 01:17 AM

You mention you changed the third member. Did you check your axles to see if one or both aren't bent or twisted? Bearings? When the car is at ride height is the driveshaft not jammed to tight into the tail stock on the trans?

Re: Vibrations in drivetrain - 10/02/10 01:22 AM

I had the car on my lift with the axles out and at ride height. The driveshaft I thought was too short so I had a new one made with about 3/4" to go before it would jam.

Re: Vibrations in drivetrain - 10/02/10 01:27 AM

The axles were not bent or did you check them? Maybe try the old driveshaft and see if that makes a difference.

Re: Vibrations in drivetrain - 10/02/10 01:30 AM

I did not check the axles because I ran the car up to speed on my lift with the axles removed but still had the 3rd member in and it still vibrated. The vibration is there with the old or the new shaft installed.

Re: Vibrations in drivetrain - 10/02/10 01:33 AM

the vibrations changed when I changed gear ratios. But it was the speed where they occurred that changed not rpm.

Re: Vibrations in drivetrain - 10/02/10 02:30 AM

Well, it looks like you have covered the bases. I think AARCuda might have it on the pinion angle. I believe it should be set to 5-7 degrees down if I'm not mistaken.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Vibrations in drivetrain - 10/02/10 02:45 AM

eng balance/TC prob
Posted By: pishta

Re: Vibrations in drivetrain - 10/02/10 02:54 AM

Quote:

the vibrations changed when I changed gear ratios. But it was the speed where they occurred that changed not rpm.

If its is Speed related then it must be in the diff, but if it is RPM related its in the driveline. You knocked the weights off the external balanced convertor..some of those were to balance it neutrally too. It would show itself in neutral too.

Re: Vibrations in drivetrain - 10/02/10 06:07 PM

Quote:

eng balance/TC prob

That basically is what I asked in the original post, what kind of vibrations would I experience if I had neutral balanced converter and damper with a cast crank.
© 2024 Moparts Forums