Moparts

Shorted rear brake/turn signal lights.

Posted By: RoyceFlo73

Shorted rear brake/turn signal lights. - 09/30/10 08:11 AM

The car is a 73 dart. Got the thing on the road finally and now I have both my rear brake/turn signal lights on all the time. Keeps draining the battery obviously.

I have some time tomorrow hopefully to look at it, would there be an obvious place to look to start on these?

The side marker lights(rear) don't seem to turn on, gotta check the bulbs first, maybe they're cooked. Either way, rear lights just stay lit.

From the diagram it seems that off the instrument panel plug, one power wire for each bulb, then 1 ground that splits to run to both (all rear main lights) then each housing is grounded via mounting. Is that correct? The rear light assembly is it's own circuit with nothing else involved?

I just don't have a ton of time tomorrow and don't want to tear into it if i won't finish it. It's gotta be easier than the whole engine wiring I would hope!
Posted By: therocks

Re: Shorted rear brake/turn signal lights. - 09/30/10 12:20 PM

Check the brake light switch.Sounds like its not shuttin off.Probally the pedal isnt contacting it to close the plunger.Rocky

Re: Shorted rear brake/turn signal lights. - 09/30/10 05:53 PM

I'll check it out. You are talking about the switch that leads off the diverter block inside the engine bay?

I thought if that was the problem, it would cause my lights to never turn on.
Posted By: feets

Re: Shorted rear brake/turn signal lights. - 09/30/10 05:57 PM

I had that problem on the hot rod. The culprit was the brake light switch on the pedal. It wasn't making good contact.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Shorted rear brake/turn signal lights. - 09/30/10 06:22 PM

The brake light switch is on the pedal pivot under the dash.

Re: Shorted rear brake/turn signal lights. - 09/30/10 07:59 PM

sounds good, i'll check it out... once this all this rain lets up
© 2024 Moparts Forums