Moparts

360 cam and gear drive suggestions

Posted By: moparsrule

360 cam and gear drive suggestions - 09/26/10 03:28 AM

I have a 74 Dart with a numbers matching 360. The engine has been rebuilt but it is throwing oil out of the dip stick. I am planning on having the engine gone through to check it out and I want to install a new cam and I was wondering what I should go with. I also like the sound of a gear drive, has anybody had any experience with a gear drive versus a double roller chain? Here is some info on the car that might help in the cam choice. 360 with factory intake and exhaust manifolds, 2 1/2" TTI exhaust with H pipe and flowmasters, going to install an 8 3/4 rear with 410 gears and may install around a 2500 stall. I want the cam to have a good choppy sound but I want it to perform as well as I can get it to. Thank you for all of your suggestions.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 360 cam and gear drive suggestions - 09/26/10 03:46 AM

The only benifit to a geardrive is it can be adjusted easier. If you want one even easier than that then you need a belt drive. I have seen several dyno tests with the different drives and never seen more than 2-3 hp differance if the cam timing was no changed.
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: 360 cam and gear drive suggestions - 09/26/10 07:37 AM

I've heard that the benefit of gear drive is the accuracy of setting your timing and it hold it. You won't get the ever so slight variation you get with a chain. Thing is, MOST people that run these don't set their timing that good to begin with. If you want it for the sound, then thats a different story. Thats what I lot of people get them for. Me, I'll run a supercharger to get that sound
Posted By: ahy

Re: 360 cam and gear drive suggestions - 09/26/10 10:44 AM

On a SB you can fit the chain tensioner from the later Magnum's. This is a really good setup and takes out any slop in the chain. Mancini can fix you up.

If you want a gear drive, the Milodon idler type is supposed to be the best. There are less expensive offerings but I'd take the chain first.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 360 cam and gear drive suggestions - 09/26/10 01:34 PM

the cheaper CAT gear drive are getting some good feed back from a few that are running them,they are like 120$ compaird to 300-400 $ for name brands

the hughes whiplash has a nice lump sound and is a great performance/cruzer cam

Posted By: therocks

Re: 360 cam and gear drive suggestions - 09/26/10 05:25 PM

My kid has Pete Jackson in his BB.After probally 15K street and strip models no problems at all.Rocky
Posted By: patrick

Re: 360 cam and gear drive suggestions - 09/27/10 03:48 AM

cam, hard to go wrong with an XE262 or XE268....

Re: 360 cam and gear drive suggestions - 09/28/10 01:58 AM

Quote:

Will these cams have a good lope to them? Will they work fine with factory exhaust manifolds? And should I use a stall converter other than stock? Thanks for the help.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: 360 cam and gear drive suggestions - 09/28/10 01:13 PM

the whiplash has a nice lumppy lump lump sound to it

if you look on hughes web page the have a member(lew) with his 340 on there to advertize it

you can hear it and see it

not sure on the 2 Patrick suggested,I do know they work good

I run a lunati 292/292 in a 360 and it has a very nice choppy chop chop as well
Posted By: patrick

Re: 360 cam and gear drive suggestions - 09/28/10 03:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Will these cams have a good lope to them? Will they work fine with factory exhaust manifolds? And should I use a stall converter other than stock? Thanks for the help.

if it's a stock long block, low compression 360, the 262 will have a bit of lope if you set the idle at about 700 RPM in gear (will pull ~11-12" vaccuuum)....it works sweet with a converter that stalls in the 2300-2500 RPM range. pulls like a mother.....been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, but I was also using an eddie 600, eddie air gap, and headers.

XE268 will be a little rougher idle, and lower torque on the low end with a little more HP up top (say, north of 5500 RPM) in the same motor as the XE262. I'd probably up the stall speed another 200 RPM or so.

I strongly recommend the summit headers. good quality, cheap price, will make a good 15-20 lb ft more torque throughout the rev range.

Re: 360 cam and gear drive suggestions - 09/29/10 01:49 AM

Thanks for all the good advise.
© 2024 Moparts Forums