Moparts

Summit exhaust

Posted By: LastChanceGarage

Summit exhaust - 09/25/10 04:34 PM

Anybody ever used one of summit exhaust systems before? I was looking at one for my '73 road runner and was wonder how well they fit, the price($209+shipping) is better than the quotes ($275-$400) from the local exhaust shops.
Posted By: mopowergtx

Re: Summit exhaust - 09/25/10 04:37 PM

Thats half a 2 1/2" A-body kit on my Lebaron. Good stuff! Got one of their kits on my 2004 3/4 ton Ram too.

Posted By: Hollywood

Re: Summit exhaust - 09/25/10 04:42 PM

I put it on my 1968 408 Valiant. I was impressed for the price.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Summit exhaust - 09/25/10 04:59 PM

Never used a kit, but I have built two systems using their mandrel bends and tubing.
Posted By: Gusteve

Re: Summit exhaust - 09/25/10 07:07 PM

I bought one for my 68 Charger. It fits like crap- BUT: I had some kind of mystery headers from the late 1980's. So the header length to the collector was different than what I suppose a modern Hooker is, which is what the Summit exhaust is expecting. I had to rig the whole thing together using the right side collector pipe on the left, and vice versa, and it really didn't turn out well. The mufflers ended up having to be tipped at like 30% angle for everything to fit right, and it just looks bad.

However - as I said, my problem was that whatever headers I had were a different length than what the Summit kit assumed. It was probably only a few inches longer on one side, but it made it so the Summit collector pipe would not clear the frame underneath.
Posted By: Tom Fox

Re: Summit exhaust - 09/25/10 07:37 PM

I have used 2 of there kit's on Dusters. VERY impressed with them, very little fine tuning to fit perfect, they are made by HeartThrob.
Posted By: rapom

Re: Summit exhaust - 09/25/10 09:42 PM

I got it on my 68 charger. Took some work to get it up tight.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Summit exhaust - 09/26/10 02:49 AM

I have the 3" on my charger. fit sis ok considering the cost. It is not a drop and go item. You will need to cut and fudge some. FWIW the cheapo mufflers that come w/ it sound great. and yes you do have to have the correct headers for best fit
Posted By: 440fied

Re: Summit exhaust - 09/26/10 04:25 AM

Put one of their kits on my 72 Demon and it fit very well, little bit of tweaking, but overall pretty good for the price.

I bought one for my 64 Sport Fury, hopefully I'll have it on in the next few weeks.
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Summit exhaust - 09/26/10 12:57 PM

The A-body kit for my Duster fit rather well.

Here is a youtube clip of the car running from behind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN9GmjZ7h3I
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Summit exhaust - 09/26/10 08:55 PM

i prefer to work from the back when it comes to exhaust for cars with headers, first hang the tailpipes,then install the mufflers and last the headpipes, all headers end up in slightly diferent locations and its impossible for a exhaust company to make a set of headpipes that fit them all,its all about geting most of the system to fit right under the car and then figure out how to make the fronsections fit the headers wich may end at the right or wrong place.
Posted By: 440challenger

Re: Summit exhaust - 09/27/10 12:49 AM

E body kits are hideous. They have you put the mufflers side ways next to the fuel tank. The kit for my 68 roadrunner was awesome though!
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Summit exhaust - 09/27/10 03:11 AM

Make sure you have a pipe cutter and mig welder ready for the modifications...Used summit's kit on a 73 Road Runner and the pipes going over the axle were way off.... ...They try to span too many years on the B body kit and unfortunately the 73-74s should'nt be on the list for the exhaust to fit....

Re: Summit exhaust - 08/02/13 09:49 AM

Quote:

Make sure you have a pipe cutter and mig welder ready for the modifications...Used summit's kit on a 73 Road Runner and the pipes going over the axle were way off.... ...They try to span too many years on the B body kit and unfortunately the 73-74s should'nt be on the list for the exhaust to fit....

Just an update- Installed the B-body 3" kit on a 1970 and it fit like ass. The passenger side was mostly ok but had to cut down the collector adapter to about 2" so the pipe would pass through the trans tunnel proper.

The drivers side was a train wreck. The front pipe when everything in the rear was lined up placed the collector in the middle of the torsion bar! I had to cut the drivers pipe in two places and flip it 180 degrees for everything to line up as it should.

If I didn't have a welder and a chop saw it would have been real ugly.

On the other hand, the tailpipes fit fairly well and the mufflers sound good.
Posted By: Mike P

Re: Summit exhaust - 08/02/13 12:10 PM

I bought their house brand mufflers for my daily driver after 1 1/2 years the internal guts have broken free and they rattle badly. As soon as I get some time they will be getting replaced.

Re: Summit exhaust - 08/02/13 12:17 PM

Quote:

I bought their house brand mufflers for my daily driver after 1 1/2 years the internal guts have broken free and they rattle badly. As soon as I get some time they will be getting replaced.

The ones in the 3" kit are all welded, sort of like flowmasters but not as obnoxious sounding.

The 2.5" mufflers on my Duster look like typical "turbo" mufflers, no problem yet but it only sees a few thousand miles a year.
Posted By: Mike P

Re: Summit exhaust - 08/02/13 03:48 PM

I've got the 2 1/2 turbo looking ones, the first one starte to rattle at about 7,000 miles and the second about 10K. The truck has always been primarly driven on smooth pavement so it's not like they were shaken loose going over washboards. It shouldn't really make any difference but they are on my 507 Cadillac powered El Camino.
Posted By: GTXKen

Re: Summit exhaust - 08/02/13 06:45 PM

The pipes are good but the mufflers are restrictive. I blew the backs off the mufflers...
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Summit exhaust - 08/02/13 09:23 PM

I bought the Summit 3 inch system for my 1969 Dart 383 4 speed car 3 years ago, it had headers on it at the time. They worked well, I have since replaced the headers with stock exhaust manifolds and I see no noticeable difference with the manifolds Years ago I had a 2.5 inch exhaust system with Turbo muffs and side exhaust exiting in front of the rear wheels on this car, it had a 440 and 727 in it at that time, removing the exhaust made that rascal run a lot better It ran 12.23 at 109. MPH at LACR on a Friday night when it was cool and wet with the exhaust on, I removed the exhaust and the car ran 11.39 at 117. MPH, no other changes Bigger exhaust is way better usually My Duster had 3 inch exhaust, it would pick up .03 ET and .2 MPH in the 1/8 mile with the exhaust removed, it was a full system that had the muffs at the rear bumper, more than likely the weight removed made the differences, not the exhaust restrictions The Dart exhaust system was straight out of the headers into the turbo muffs and then about 30 inches of pipe to the side of the car, not much weight or length of pipes in that system

Attached picture 7800026-SANY0162.JPG

Re: Summit exhaust - 08/02/13 11:33 PM

Quote:

MPG at LACR on a Friday night when it wa s cool and wet with teh exhaust on, I removed the exhaust and the car ran 11.39 at 117. MPH, no other changes Bigger exhaust is way better usually

With the old 2.5" crimp bent exhaust system the car would lose 4 tenths in the quarter like clockwork.

Re: Summit exhaust - 08/03/13 01:46 PM

Quote:

The pipes are good but the mufflers are restrictive. I blew the backs off the mufflers...

really? I bought the 3" cheapo's you can see right thru them. I ran 11.44-11.46 w/ mufflers and only 11.38 un-capped. I did pick up 1.5 mph uncapped. Not much difference in sound either

Re: Summit exhaust - 08/03/13 01:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

really? I bought the 3" cheapo's you can see right thru them. I ran 11.44-11.46 w/ mufflers and only 11.38 un-capped. I did pick up 1.5 mph uncapped. Not much difference in sound either

I have both the 2.5" system and the 3" system. The 2.5" system uses a "crimped" turbo style muffler, the 3" system has a fully welded semi-flowmaster style muffler.

Re: Summit exhaust - 08/03/13 04:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have both the 2.5" system and the 3" system. The 2.5" system uses a "crimped" turbo style muffler, the 3" system has a fully welded semi-flowmaster style muffler.

no I bought the cheap turbo's not the ones w/ the kit, they are not a knock off Flowmaster.

Re: Summit exhaust - 08/03/13 04:21 PM

Quote:

no I bought the cheap turbo's not the ones w/ the kit, they are not a knock off Flowmaster.

I went with the complete 3" kit which included the welded mufflers, for $299 how can you go wrong? No one in my area can bend up a dual exhaust system for that price let alone one with mandrel bends.
© 2024 Moparts Forums