Moparts

5.9 magnum hates mods?

Posted By: Ultanium

5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 05:37 AM

I have been building a dak much like the scat Dak project in Mopar Action. I started with a '95 truck with a 5.2, dropped in a '94 5.9 & Mopar computer, & drove the tires off it. Got a few bucks saved up, added a comp cams 262 roller (260/262 .480/512), new lifters, double roller chain (0°), m1, EQ heads (2.02), all new sensors, large manifolds like Ehrenberg used, stock injectors & TB. We fired it up today, & no matter what we did, it was a dog. It idles rough, dies often, & I feel like I wasted my time & money. EGR seems fine, playing with the timing made it a little better, but harder to start. Any ideas on why this thing doesn't even bark the tires? Appreciate any advice!!

Tom in Texas
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 05:45 AM

Could be running lean with the better flowing heads and new cam. May need to either up your fuel pressure a bit or step up injector size. Ideally you would have your computer recalibrated but I don't know if anyone offers that for those trucks.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 12:10 PM

I'll guess your stock injectors aren't able to keep up. When you do that much modification the computer might need a upgrade. I'd swap the injectors out 1st. What did the magazine build use?
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 12:17 PM

I suspect a computer issue, they do have tuners now.

BTW- Fuel injection and timing control are keyed off the distributor location, you can't just crank it about without screwing up the PCM's reference signal.
Posted By: GregCon

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 12:18 PM

There could be many reasons, but for a start you are probably outside the operating range of one or more parameters in the PCM.

The simple fix would be to connect the PCM to your laptop and reprogram the initial values. Unfortunately, the PCM is not reprogrammable in that fashion - hence the need for a custom 'burn' and all the PITA associated with that.
Posted By: 360view

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 12:19 PM

If
"it idles rough and dies often"
then the pintle valve seat inside the EGR valve
may be so corroded that it is letting a lot of flow
all the time

At full throttle the EGR flow should be totally off
but if the pintle seat does not seal
that will lower your volumetric efficiency
and drop horsepower.

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 12:23 PM

94-95 is the old style PCM, to take advantage of a hand held tuner you have to step up to 96 electronics so you can use a SCT tuner.

I'd double check your basics though before going there.

I have pointed out this thread to someone who has done a lot of Magnum modding, maybe he will chime in.
Posted By: b1llyw

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 12:58 PM

Sounds to me like the fuel sync is way off. That combo should work fine with that PCM. Get your fuel sync set, see where that leaves you. You are probably borderline on injector sizing.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 01:37 PM

Quote:

Sounds to me like the fuel sync is way off. That combo should work fine with that PCM. Get your fuel sync set, see where that leaves you. You are probably borderline on injector sizing.

Could his TB be too small? I mean what do those 2bbl (2 hole) flow? 500-600cfm max????

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 01:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Could his TB be too small? I mean what do those 2bbl (2 hole) flow? 500-600cfm max????

He would benefit from a larger throttle body but it's not small enough to cause these kinds of problems. I'd recommend this guy if he decides to upgrade.

http://stores.hi-potek.com/-strse-DAKOTA-cln-ENGINE-cln-Throttle-Body/Categories.bok

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 02:23 PM

Quote:

Would not explain the idle issue, the throttle blades are closed.

At that point what the throttle body flows in a non-issue.

Start with the basics, set the fuel sync (distributor) which is critical for proper operation.

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 02:43 PM

http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/Adjusting%20the%20idle%20for%20a%20Magnum.pdf

http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/Camshaft%20Timing%20and%20Setting%20Fuel%20Sync.pdf

From my site, maybe these will help.
Posted By: zrxkawboy

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 04:21 PM

Quote:

playing with the timing made it a little better

I didn't think timing was adjustable...?

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 04:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

playing with the timing made it a little better

I didn't think timing was adjustable...?

You can play with the timing chain and/or crank sensor to play with base timing.

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 04:33 PM

Man, you guys are awesome! All good advice and I'm reading the PDF's from Bionic Dodge now, good stuff. I thought the Mopar Performance computer would be able to keep up with these mods, & if it was a '96 I would be able to flash it. I will get this thing synced this evening, and see what it does. What would be the next step up for injectors? I think I recall reading something about using blue ford injectors, but I cannot find it. Thanks again for all of the replies.

Tom in Texas

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/21/10 05:49 PM

No problem. Bruce is a Ford guy but his site is a good source for injectors.

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 09/22/10 04:03 AM

Well we think we have solved the rough idle problem. For several days I had a friend over tearing down the motor when we started this build. Well today we noticed a lot of jitter in the timing & misfires, so we went back to check the crank sensor and reluctor, and every hole was bent up so badly that it chewed the end of the sensor off.

With friends like that, who needs....
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 10/06/10 03:53 AM

Remember, MT and AT crank Hall effect sensors are different lengths. Or...crank bolts loose?

Rick

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 10/06/10 03:56 AM

Quote:

...added a comp cams 262 roller (260/262 .480/512)

The project truck has a dead-stock 2001 cam.

Rick E.
Posted By: olemopar

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 10/06/10 02:17 PM

looks like a bar in the cps slots to rotate the ingine during build up ??
Thad

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 10/09/10 08:32 PM

Yep, large phillips screwdriver was used to turn the crank. Truck now has a new reluctor and sensor, but still isnt running right. Any Magnum experts in the Houston Galveston area??

Ps: The cam barely made the engine lope, no interference with the pistons, good vacuum. Yay! I cannot run the Mopar perfomance computer at all though, it makes the engine run really rich, my eyes were burning like fire until I switched back to the stock box.

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/09/10 12:33 AM

Just a quick update & some dyno data. Pig rich condition was caused by a TRW o2 sensor, switched to NGK & truck ran good. Still not the power I expected from the mods though, so I put it on a dyno in Houston & here are the results.

RPM. HP. TQ. AF.
2250. 89. 209. 12.6
2400. 93. 202. 11.9
2700. 105. 205. 11.7
3000. 114. 200. 11.3
3275. 118. 190. 10.9
3575. 125. 180. 10.3
3875. 129. 175. 10.3
4175. 134. 167. 10.2
4450. 135. 160. 10.2
4750. 152. 169. 10.5
5000. 160. 169. 10.7

Obviously something is killing it in the middle, good TQ off the line, flat on her face until 4700 when the AF starts coming back up. From top to bottom I have a 5.9 mag, 14" open air cleaner, stock TB, stock injectors, Mopar M1, Comp Cams 262hr, MP lifters, EQ Magnum heads 2.02/1.62 (no port work), MP computer, large exhaust manifolds dumping into 3" magnaflow cat, then to a 3" muffler that splits to 2 tailpipes. Is the stock TB choking her down? This has me stumped, and wanting to get a megasquirt II & wideband so I can tune it, obviously the Mopar box can't cut it...
Posted By: blk00rt

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/09/10 12:37 AM

have you pulled the distributor? If so who set your fuel sync and what is it set at? It could be your fuel sync is so far off that it is running rich.
Just a thought. Mine is set around 0 to +1, the computers will run as long as its set anywheres from -10 to 10.

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/09/10 01:46 AM

I stabbed it per the instructions on bionic Dodge. I did call 3 local dealerships to get it synchronized, but all 3 said they didn't have the box to do it anymore. I'll go back & do it again tomorrow just to be sure. Do you really think the sync would hurt it that much? Thanks for your suggestion, I'm stumped...
Posted By: FuryUs

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/09/10 02:01 AM

The stock computer goes to max injector pulse width above a certain RPM and with the throttle floored, so the AFR change as RPMs increase is normal. Not good for fuel economy or power, but safe.
Posted By: blk00rt

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/09/10 02:12 AM

the fuel sync tells the injectors when to fire. The dealer ship needs a DRB to be able to set the fuel sync. It literally takes about 5 minutes to set. There is one snap on unit that can do it too but I do not remember the number for it.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/09/10 04:22 AM

I think that wild cam is causing all the problems.

Your dyno numbers are really low, it's almost as though this thing has no compression. Perhaps the cam is bleeding what little compression (8.9:1) the 360 has out of it?

There is a Mopar cam that is supposed to match the PCM you have, that may be another route worth looking at.

Not sure if you have come across this yet, but there is a re-flash available from Chrysler that will raise the shift rpm and make the truck feel a bit more responsive. I had it done to my '01 360 but it has the stock PCM. Just my opinion, but I would go to a 318 Magnum cam (hotter than the 360 cam) and go back to the stock PCM.

If you have to stick with what you have, you could also go with a four-barrel.
Posted By: RoadRaceDart

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/09/10 06:24 AM

What is the measured intake centerline on the cam? What's the cranking compression? Which ECU are you using? That's way too rich and hurting power. Can you measure the vacuum at WOT to see if you've got an intake restriction? How about exhaust back pressure?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/09/10 10:49 AM

Seriously, do yourself a favor. Go to a boneyard and pull a OBD2 pcm from a 96 Dakota V8 truck, pull the computer harness and OBD2 under dash port. Get it wired, its not that hard. Then, call Marty at KRC performance and have him build you a tune that you can download through a SCT tuner. You can run that cam with your combo, but I agree that it is probably to aggressive for that compression ratio, injector size and throttle body. A SCT tuner is dirt cheap right now and the parts cant run much more than $100.

Attached picture 6292674-408dak13.jpg
Posted By: Devilbrad

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/09/10 04:51 PM

KRC Performance no longer exists. I would double check the cam is installed correctly. Sounds like cam timing is off a tooth. Also, are those cam duration numbers at .050" lift? If so, thats way to big for the PCM. If thats advertised, that cam is fine.

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/10/10 03:19 AM

I got mad after the 5th dealership told me they couldn't set the sync, & bought a Snap On MT2500 scanner. Sync was off, +12 so I rolled it back to +6 per the recommendations of some Ram & Jeep guys. Other numbers from the scanner were:
Idle 736rpm
Map 2.1v
Tps .82v
Closed loop
Vac 15.2v
IAT 2.87v
Coolant 2.0v
O2s .1-.6v
Adv +6deg
Sync +6deg

The can is really tame, duration @ .050 is 206/210, 112deg Sep, 108 centerline. One interesting thing I found, is the scanner will not talk to the MP computer, only the stock computer. It does feel stronger now that the sync is rolled back, but still not what I expected from these mods.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/10/10 06:21 PM

Now that you tried what the internet hacks said, try what the factory says and set it at zero

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/11/10 04:32 AM

That's the plan. When I can find another $25 dyno weekend in Houston, I will do some pulls at 0, 3, & 6 just so we can see once & for all what the magnum likes.
Posted By: Five9Dak

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/11/10 02:11 PM

Something else is still wrong, that combo should run it's ass off in a '95 even with the synch a few degrees off.

I would to +4 for that combo.
Posted By: patrick

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/11/10 04:01 PM

Quote:

Something else is still wrong, that combo should run it's ass off in a '95 even with the synch a few degrees off.

I would to +4 for that combo.

I'd expect that cam/head/intake combo to be putting out ~250-270 at the wheels....

are you SURE the cam is degreed correctly?

what valve springs are you using?
Posted By: RawnDart

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/11/10 05:45 PM

Re-check the cam timing

Check the compression on all 8 cylinders. You may have a problem there, too.

Are you sure that the valve train is right? Is there a valve hanging open due to wrong pushrod length?

I ran a lot more cam and head combo in a 318 on nitrous with the stock 19lb/hr injectors. That stuff is not causing your problem.

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/11/10 05:59 PM

Good point Ron. What rockers and pushrods are on this thing? Does it still have a catalytic convertor that might possibly be plugged up?

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/11/10 07:20 PM

Cat & entire exhaust is new, all magnaflow. Used the comp cams double roller chain, used the 0deg marks, but will see if I can scrounge up a degree wheel. Heads were ready to run from Clearwater, had beehive springs, comp cams tech said spring pressures were close enough to recommended, so I torqued them down. I'll run a leakdown when I do the compression test, just to be sure. When I get the new TB, I figured I would be just under 300 to the wheels, this thing should be well over 250 now...

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/11/10 07:25 PM

Quote:

Cat & entire exhaust is new, all magnaflow. Used the comp cams double roller chain, used the 0deg marks, but will see if I can scrounge up a degree wheel. Heads were ready to run from Clearwater, had beehive springs, comp cams tech said spring pressures were close enough to recommended, so I torqued them down. I'll run a leakdown when I do the compression test, just to be sure. When I get the new TB, I figured I would be just under 300 to the wheels, this thing should be well over 250 now...

I had a Comp Cams timing set for Mag motors that was three teeth off on the cam gear when dots lined up. Mine wouldn't even run. I'll bet thats your problem, cam timing.

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/11/10 08:23 PM

Here's a fairly easy and quick way of telling if the cam timing is off without pulling the front cover, using degree wheels, or a dial indicator. It works for me to at least tell me I'm close. IIRC the cam gear has 36 teeth, crank 18. 2:1 ration. Every tooth on the cam gear is 10 degrees of timing. Put the engine at TDC #1 intake (not compression) stroke. The balancer on Mag motors has 4 slots around it every 90 degrees. Get a tape measure or better a tapestry tape and measure from the #1 mark to the next mark counter clockwise. Cut the measurement in 1/4's and mark the balancer. Each mark is 22.5 degrees. Get your cam card, see when intake opening starts. Pull the #1 intake rocker and as you turn the crank slowly clockwise, watch the pushrod. As soon as it moves stop and see where the balancer lines up on the timing cover. The cover has ten degrees of timing marks, so you should be able to figure out if the cam is any wheres near close to opening like the card says. This worked for me when I found my timing set off 3 teeth. I did the math, figured out how many teeth to turn the cam gear and the engine fired right up. It's not accurate to a single degree, but if your off one tooth, it will tell you.
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/11/10 09:20 PM

Many years ago I had a timing set that was several teeth off.

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/12/10 12:44 AM

I'm also thinking valve timing is off.

"Fuel sync" does very, very little (emissions mainly, and a skosh of low-end torque) - BUT, if way off, the distributor rotor can be misaligned with the cap towers - that's why is needs to be set right. Many early MPI systems weren't even sequential - they were batch fired.

Rick
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/12/10 03:32 AM

What does the truck sound like? I put a cam and timing chain in a 81 dodge truck I had (MP260/268) with a 318 and lined up the wrong dots (MP chain, it appears that one set of dots may have been for a set up for a machining operation possibly, but there was definitely 2 dets of dots, on opposite sides of the gears IIRC). The truck ran but sounded REALLY weird. It had dual exhaust with glass packs and was very loud with the cam set up wrong, it would REALLY bark at low rpms (1500), then completely run out of steam at about 3500 RPM and sound almost like a high revving deisel, very weird, and it had about half the power it should've. It also ran hot. IIRC the chain was out about 3-4 teeth advanced.

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/14/10 12:26 AM

http://www.youtube.com/user/tommyjdj

Here is a video of the truck running.
Posted By: RawnDart

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 11/14/10 11:40 PM

That engine is running how it should be running on the low end with that combo. (Based on what I'm hearing in that video, but you didn't crack open the throttle there!)

Your biggest problem is that it's not tuned, and you don't know for sure if the cam is timed properly right now.

Re: 5.9 magnum hates mods? - 04/21/13 01:55 PM

Just a final post about this project. I installed a polished TB from a board member, and it helped a little, but I never was able to get this truck right. My guess is the cam was a little off, and I sold the truck to help pay for new toys. If anyone else does a Dak, may I suggest a couple things? First, start with a 96 or newer truck so you can tune the thing, or get the other M1 intake and put a carb on it. Second, double and triple check the cam timing! Save yourself the headache, and buy or borrow a degree wheel. This truck should have been well into the 13's at the track, not 17's. I'm now working on a 71 Demon 340, and have bought a degree wheel, do not trust the marks.

Tom
© 2024 Moparts Forums