Moparts

Cylinder heads

Posted By: j3wbagell

Cylinder heads - 09/18/10 05:58 PM

Anyone have advice on where to find a good set of heads?

Also has anyone had difficulty getting to the screws on the headers, they seem very close to the tubing and looks like a ratchet is necessary.

Posted By: stumpy

Re: Cylinder heads - 09/18/10 06:02 PM

It would help to know what engine and what headers? What are you looking for in heads? There are all kinds of different ones for different uses. Yes most header bolts are hard to get to.
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Cylinder heads - 09/18/10 06:04 PM

Make sure you are using header bolts..with small heads...usually need an open end wrench to tighten them up..

and yes..good head is hard to find...

and what kinds of heads are you looking for...small block big block ..hemis...slant 6?
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: Cylinder heads - 09/18/10 06:05 PM

Quote:

Anyone have advice on where to find a good set of heads?

What engine?

Quote:

Also has anyone had difficulty getting to the screws on the headers, they seem very close to the tubing and looks like a ratchet is necessary.

When I installed mine on my 318 in an A body I found a variety was necessary. Ratchet with different length extensions, combination wrenches both short and long made the job a little less difficult.

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/16/10 08:45 PM

Motor is a small block 318. I need to tap the first hole and bolt the headers back in. Extra lazy and thought about buying a smaller bore bole and rtv sealing it into the head. Would y'all recommend a new head? or should i take the SB out put in a 440 BB with new headers and intake?

Any thoughts according to the rtv?
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/16/10 08:53 PM

That wont work. Repair the threads.
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/16/10 08:55 PM

Wht not buy a heli coil kit and fix the hole. RTV won't work or at least for not very long!! TAKING A SHORT CUT IS THE QUICKEST WAY TO THE PLACE YOU DID NOT WANT TO GO.

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/16/10 08:59 PM

My problem is how close the bolts are to the header tubings. If it was easy to get to I'd be on the road already. I had it at a friends house for repair but he was unsuccessful in getting the headers off. So even if I buy new heads, taking off the headers is still going to be a chore.

Is it possible to tap and dye with out taking all the springs out?

how much pressure is going on in those blocks?
Posted By: Todd

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/16/10 10:50 PM

Quote:

My problem is how close the bolts are to the header tubings. If it was easy to get to I'd be on the road already. I had it at a friends house for repair but he was unsuccessful in getting the headers off. So even if I buy new heads, taking off the headers is still going to be a chore.

Is it possible to tap and dye with out taking all the springs out?

how much pressure is going on in those blocks?

Springs? Pressure?
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/16/10 11:44 PM

Working on cars is hard work. Maybe you should take it to a shop.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/16/10 11:53 PM

after reading this post,,,, I need another beer
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/17/10 12:11 AM

I'm sorry but if you can't figure out how to get a simple header out and helicoil the stripped hole there is no way in hell you're going to be able to do a big block swap.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/17/10 12:48 AM

I'm thinking

Kevin
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/17/10 12:54 AM

ProMax had a pair of J heads redone at a very fair price. Check under small block parts for sale. Plus they are a sponsor here.
Posted By: StukaJU87

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/17/10 02:00 AM

Ok, my head is spinning from all this.
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/17/10 01:24 PM

I think he means how much water pressure, and the answer is enough to make it leak if you don't fix it right! These young guys.......ok, my advice, just figure it out, go on Google and read how to's........then do it, fixing a stud is a 15 minute job for God's sake. And I agree with the post above, you need to do a LOT more "hands on" work before you even consider an engine swap. And buy an overhaul manual. (Ebay) Engines don't just fall in place by themselves......... just my
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/17/10 08:38 PM

Newbies need to take a deep breath and describe the problem clearly and intelligently- no text dialog and slang. Its bad when people think a post is a prank because its written SO BAD!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Cylinder heads - 10/17/10 10:28 PM

A small/thin open end wrench that has the 1 end turned 45 or 90 deg will help you. Do you have bolts or studs? If bolts which are notorious leakers, on the 1 that is leaking you might get an OE type stud that has the shoulder in the middle and this might solve it without resorting to a helicoil (do put some sealant on the inner coarse threads). You might be able to just take out the 1 bolt that is leaking & replace it w a trimmed OE stud & leave everything else in place depending on how much clearance you have. You can trim the outer fine threaded section of it for a better fit (mockup/measure/trim it ahead of time). You only need enough threads there for the nut to fit flush and any more is a waste and for sure will hit a pri tube. All BB head header bolt holes are wet so drain a gallon of coolant 1st. Good luck w it. EDIT shoot a quick shot of starting fluid into the hole to clean the head threads so your choice of gasket cement on the stud threads will seal better
© 2024 Moparts Forums