Moparts

1-wire GM alternator on a Big Block

Posted By: AlexP

1-wire GM alternator on a Big Block - 09/18/10 09:53 AM

I'd like to throw my 60amp roundback over a fence and put a GM alternator on the car.

Please don't get into the semantics of it all, its the last piece of mopar wiring/electronics on the car.

I've got the repop brackets from 440Source, and I'd like to have the simplest install of a Delco 1 wire style alternator I could possibly have.

I'm pushing a 6AL, Electric fuel pump, Hella H4/H1's and a decent stereo.

What do I need ?
Posted By: ahy

Re: 1-wire GM alternator on a Big Block - 09/18/10 02:19 PM

The "small case" Delco alternator had factory ratings from roughly 60 to 100 A. Powermaster makes a 140A version. With your setup, I'd suggest 100 or 140 A.

I believe there is a post in the archives on good model references for rebuilt stock alternators from the parts stores. The 140A Powermaster unit from Summit or others would be a good choice also.

One consideration... the Delco can fit std MOPAR brackets but the back is a real tight fit with the heads. I got one for an Ed headed B engine and it was a no go. I had to return it. Stock iron heads have a little more room. Spacers - say around 1/4" - for the alternator, crank pulley, WP pulley and any other accessories may be needed.
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: 1-wire GM alternator on a Big Block - 09/18/10 09:47 PM

...I may be wrong, but I thought some body out there makes a 1 wire Chrysler Alt but also I don't remember the amp outputs either.
Posted By: ahy

Re: 1-wire GM alternator on a Big Block - 09/18/10 11:32 PM

Powermaster makes a 75 amp one wire version. It puts out 50 amps at idle. I believe Mancini, Summit, Bouchillon and others sell it.
Posted By: Pyper70

Re: 1-wire GM alternator on a Big Block - 09/18/10 11:32 PM

Atta boy Alex.....coming to the dark side....I run a single wire to a fuse and then the battery. Easy peasy. No external voltage regulator, nothing...My BB has the Small block alternator adjustable arm underneath and bolts directly into the head on the top. All you need is to hook up the "sense" cable.

Diagram here

Posted By: ToddP

Re: 1-wire GM alternator on a Big Block - 09/19/10 01:53 AM

I run a gm powermaster 140.

2 stereo amps, 250 mallory fuel pump 2, 10 inch fans, and hid headlamp transformers

basically a bolt on, but output terminal is close to the head (1/4 inch)

Thia alternator will put out 140 amps, the down side is it draws some hp.

I had a local rebuild guy put this alt on his test bench. he said about 8 to 10 hp to run.

With standard v groove pulleys it would eat belts.
Had to convert to serpintine pulleys.

If you need the power you need the power , but I would recomend a smaller output unit if you don't want to mess with the belts and pulleys.

Posted By: cudaboone

Re: 1-wire GM alternator on a Big Block - 09/19/10 02:37 PM

I got my 1 wire mopar alternator 100amp from march performance.
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: 1-wire GM alternator on a Big Block - 09/19/10 02:47 PM

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/chromal.html
one and 3 wire types

Powermaster Street Alternator
Alternator, Internal Regulator, 75 Amp, Natural, Chrysler/ Dodge/ Plymouth, Big/Small Block, V8
$146.95
PWM74191
Posted By: AlexP

Re: 1-wire GM alternator on a Big Block - 10/15/10 12:47 AM

If I was to just get a parts house alternator, what year and such would I ask for ?

What makes the power master alternators have "little or no modification" needed ?
© 2024 Moparts Forums