Moparts

Transmission mount swap problems?

Posted By: polkat

Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/13/10 08:18 AM

Pulling the 318 poly and 727 out of my '64 Fury and dropping in a 440 and later 727. The front engine mounts are no problem (I have the parts), but I keep reading that the mount on the tranny crossmember will be in the wrong spot. I'll be using the later tranny mount, but does anyone know exactly what I need to do to the crossmember to get it to sit at the right spot?

I know that there are (rather expensive) aftermarket mounts out there to do this, but I'm sure others have done mods for this themselves. Seems to me I could just drill new holes in the rails to move the crossmember...no? So who's done what? Thanks!
Posted By: moparsquid

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/13/10 01:37 PM

i have a 69 tranny in my 62 dodge i beleive i used the stock xmember and a later trans mount, and it is true i paid 80$ for a polly oem style tranny mount for mine and i didnt use it.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/13/10 01:48 PM

Quote:

Pulling the 318 poly and 727 out of my '64 Fury and dropping in a 440 and later 727. The front engine mounts are no problem (I have the parts), but I keep reading that the mount on the tranny crossmember will be in the wrong spot. I'll be using the later tranny mount, but does anyone know exactly what I need to do to the crossmember to get it to sit at the right spot?

I know that there are (rather expensive) aftermarket mounts out there to do this, but I'm sure others have done mods for this themselves. Seems to me I could just drill new holes in the rails to move the crossmember...no? So who's done what? Thanks!

Unless you changed the K frame in the car to the 66-70 B body unit, which moves the engine rearward, the trans will drop right on the stock mount location if you have the stock engine mounts.

For someone who claims to not have a job and be living in the middle of nowhere you have an awful lot of projects going, your trust fund seems to be holding up well ???

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/13/10 06:19 PM

Heh, yea John, I guess things arn't as bad as I make them sound sometimes. So as long as I have the right mounts, I don't really have to move anything? Just use the mount for whatever tranny I use?

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/13/10 08:34 PM

Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/13/10 11:18 PM

The mount pad on the transmission tailhousing is different on the '65 and earlier and the '66 and later. Early pad is further forward and has a wider bolt pattern.

Schumacher makes a conversion mount to allow the use of '66 and later transmissions in the early B.

Attached picture 6194406-Tailslate_early.jpg
Posted By: QuickBpBp

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 12:00 AM

I used the 68 B-body crossmember and mount when I did this to my 64 Dodge Ragtop. I only had to cut the sides of the mount(it's to wide) and redrill the outside holes. The inside holes lined up and it was a Loooong time ago I think I also ha to drill a hole for the E-brake cable.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 12:09 AM

"Seems to me I could just drill new holes in the rails to move the crossmember...no?"
No, there are no rails to drill.

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 12:13 AM

Quote:

"Seems to me I could just drill new holes in the rails to move the crossmember...no?"
No, there are no rails to drill.

I shortened & drilled the crossmember to the same bolt pattern as the 64 one...NOT the crossmember frame.... Very easy job.

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 03:16 AM

Thanks all! Between the two John's it sounds like the mount is the same, but the position is different. John K, couldn't I make up a 1/4" steel plate to move the mount forward the required amout? And does anyone have a pic of the aftermarket mount mentioned?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 03:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks all! Between the two John's it sounds like the mount is the same, but the position is different. John K, couldn't I make up a 1/4" steel plate to move the mount forward the required amout? And does anyone have a pic of the aftermarket mount mentioned?

Schumacher sells it but it's the Imperial Services mount. I put one in my 440/late727 comboed '63 Dodge and it bolted in. No muss no fuss.

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 01:44 PM

Quote:

The mount pad on the transmission tailhousing is different on the '65 and earlier and the '66 and later. Early pad is further forward and has a wider bolt pattern.

Schumacher makes a conversion mount to allow the use of '66 and later transmissions in the early B.

Doooh , I didn't know that ...

Once again John K. to the rescue

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 01:49 PM

Quote:

No it's a different mount and adding a 1/4 " thick steel plate would change the driveline angle. The 66 up automatic crossmember as someone else stated MIGHT be an option since the mount is not in the middle of the trans crossmember.

But it would be quick and easier to get the imperial services mount , unless it's a $200 part .
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 03:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No it's a different mount and adding a 1/4 " thick steel plate would change the driveline angle. The 66 up automatic crossmember as someone else stated MIGHT be an option since the mount is not in the middle of the trans crossmember.

But it would be quick and easier to get the imperial services mount , unless it's a $200 part .

$79

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 05:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

$79

A no brainier then

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 06:11 PM

My way costs nothing but your time and keeps it a servicable mount available at local parts stores...BUT I see alot of times people like to make things more difficult than what they are.....

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 07:01 PM

Quote:

My way costs nothing but your time and keeps it a servicable mount available at local parts stores...BUT I see alot of times people like to make things more difficult than what they are.....

Well then you need to post up some pics and be a little more forth coming with what you did?

Quote:

I shortened & drilled the crossmember to the same bolt pattern as the 64 one

What exactly did you shorten, I am not versed on the difference between the 65 down trans Xmember and the 66 up , did you modify the part that slides over the torsion bar crossmember or where the rubber mount sits ?

I like the idea of not having to buy a special, only available thru mail order part also.

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 07:22 PM

John

I took the original trans mount and crossmember from a 68 Auto b-body and cut the ears off to the same "size" as the 64 trans crossmember. The 68 one is wider left to right and does not fit. It now fits up in the torsion bar frame and the inside holes line up. Then all that I had to do was measure & drill the outter holes. You also need to drill the same holes for the e-brake cable to go through the crossmember.

I hope it's simple to understand...I can take pics at a later time....

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 08:00 PM

Quote:

John

I took the original trans mount and crossmember from a 68 Auto b-body and cut the ears off to the same "size" as the 64 trans crossmember. The 68 one is wider left to right and does not fit. It now fits up in the torsion bar frame and the inside holes line up. Then all that I had to do was measure & drill the outter holes. You also need to drill the same holes for the e-brake cable to go through the crossmember.

I hope it's simple to understand...I can take pics at a later time....

Pics would be cool but that pretty much explains it, this was an automatic crossmember I assume and it put the mount in the proper spot to bolt to the 727 ?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 08:00 PM

Quote:

My way costs nothing but your time and keeps it a servicable mount available at local parts stores

Yeah, but not everybody has a '68 crossmember lying around.

Re: Transmission mount swap problems? - 09/14/10 08:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

My way costs nothing but your time and keeps it a servicable mount available at local parts stores

Yeah, but not everybody has a '68 crossmember lying around.

2 & 4 dr B-body 66,67,68 and 69 Auto crossmembers are easy to obtain....
© 2024 Moparts Forums