Moparts

Reccomend me a decent OHM meter?

Posted By: RUMBLON

Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/12/10 08:11 PM

I have had several cheapos over the years. Tell me a decent one that will last? brand, what ever. I need to buy a nice one.

Dave
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/12/10 08:27 PM

I like the fluke meters. They cost a little bit, but never had a problem. Mine is 10 years old or more. I did have to replace a fuse recently, but it's because I tried to measure more than 10amps on the 10 amp setting, but other than that, no problems. Here is what a quick search at Frys pulled up.

http://www.frys.com/product/2957425?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Posted By: srt

Re: Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/12/10 08:30 PM

Hard to beat a fluke.
For a cheapy get a craftsman
Posted By: 6T6Cuda

Re: Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/12/10 08:34 PM

For a decent lower cost one I would get a Temma (http://www.mcmelectronics.com/) I have a few at home and a few here at work, for the money the are great...
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/12/10 08:40 PM

I have a craftsman as well, but it lacks that quality feel. I have had the cheapy harbor freight meters and thats what the craftsman seams to be. Plus, with the fluke, you can measure temp and get several different leads that will adapt to all types of connections. If you want a meter that will last, its hard to beat the reputation. Plus, I got my Fluke 189 for changing out an alternator on a Lexus SC400. Guy was greatful, what can I say.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/12/10 09:39 PM

Scout the pawn shops for used Flukes. Lot's of them out there.
Posted By: Nukechargerboy

Re: Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/12/10 09:46 PM

Fluke, can't beat em', join em'
Posted By: 70runner

Re: Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/12/10 10:37 PM

Simpson 260-8. I've owned mine for 25yrs. Not a fancy digital display, just a solid, reliable VOM.
Posted By: Nukechargerboy

Re: Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/13/10 12:20 AM

Those are awesome also, especially where you need to measure for discreet voltages, and for milliamps.
Posted By: geol

Re: Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/13/10 12:38 AM

I am an electrician and would recommend a Fluke 177.The ohm scale can accuratly read short circuits in the megohm range which can make trouble shooting short circuits easier.At least it does for me.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/13/10 12:52 AM

Quote:

Simpson 260-8. I've owned mine for 25yrs. Not a fancy digital display, just a solid, reliable VOM.

I'm from the old school too. Can't beat a Simpson.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/13/10 12:54 PM

I have had a Fluke 87 since 1985.

Since '85 I have had a 1970s era Temma and a 1980s era Keithly multi-meters go bad.

All had rough lives in the mining business and spent most of their lives being carried around in pickups.

I can't personally understand economically how Harbor Freight can profitably sell a $2.89 multi-meter imported from China, especially since it reads close to the Fluke 87. Pretty clear proof of currency manipulation. Right now there is coupon to get one free with any purchase.

Here's a multi-meter with more types of measurement than most:

http://www.grove-ent.com/MS8209.html

a review

www.multimeterwarehouse.com/MS8209Review.pdf
Posted By: broncobra

Re: Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/13/10 01:40 PM

How did they say it in Star Wars?..."FLUKE,... I am your Meter!" or something like that.
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: Reccomend me a decent OHM meter? - 09/14/10 08:21 AM

Fluke, Simpson and Tripplet. I have about 15 diferent VOM's around the house. Most are cheap units and work for 85 % of what we need for automotive work. But like said above, if its a Meg Ohm short its near imposable to find with a cheap unit.
© 2024 Moparts Forums