Moparts

I want to lose my MP cam and crappy idle - suggestions

Posted By: 70Sbird

I want to lose my MP cam and crappy idle - suggestions - 09/07/10 05:00 PM

So.... this is new territory for me, usually Im trying to go bigger not smaller.
This is for the 440 4bbl in my 'Bird, I have stock compression, iron dual plane intake, edelbrock 750 vac sec carb. Currently I have the MP purple shaft cam with 60 degrees of overlap, poor vacuum at idle etc...
This car is a cruiser and street car, I'm seriously considering just going back to the stock cam and seeing how it runs. I'm looking for good idle and torque, and a redline of under 5,000 RPM. also, I have a good double rolled timing chain in it, I've seen kits that contain the OEM style non roller chains. Since this will be a stock 440, is there any real advantage of a double roller, and is there a downside to using the "quieter" stock chains?
Any input will be helpful as I am pretty lost when it comes to cam selection It seems there are way too many choices out there, and I just want a decent running car.
Posted By: dmerc

Re: I want to lose my MP cam and crappy idle - suggestions - 09/07/10 05:09 PM

Something like an RV cam would probably work well for you. Stock timing set up should work well too.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: I want to lose my MP cam and crappy idle - suggestions - 09/07/10 05:12 PM

The Summit 224/234-465/488 cam works well and has a good idle and pulls good vacuum. The smaller cam (214/224-455/465 I think) works pretty well too.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I want to lose my MP cam and crappy idle - suggestions - 09/07/10 05:13 PM

MP .528/284 adv. duration mechanical.

Nice smooth idle and tons of power.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I want to lose my MP cam and crappy idle - suggestions - 09/07/10 05:19 PM

the summit cam 6401( the bigger one) is a fantastic street cam--one of the best running out there--don't care about how the specs look--it runs great!
Posted By: v10

Re: I want to lose my MP cam and crappy idle - suggestions - 09/07/10 05:21 PM

The cam choice is all in what you are looking for. But on the timing chain I would still use the double roller setup. After only a couple hundred miles the stock ones feel like they are worn out.
I always use the double roller.
Posted By: Paladin

Re: I want to lose my MP cam and crappy idle - suggestions - 09/07/10 06:23 PM

For what you described, I would suggest the Lunati Voodoo 60301 camshaft. It has a lot of torque, redlines around 5200 RPM, and pulls about 18 inches of vacuum at idle. Also makes that 440 fairly easy on gas, all things considered.

Definitely stay with the double row timing chain.

May God bless America,

Paladin

Attached picture 6182708-0810LF.jpg
Posted By: gch

Re: I want to lose my MP cam and crappy idle - suggestions - 09/07/10 06:51 PM

Either the comp or lunati 262 grind should give you a smooth idle and plenty of low speed torque for cruising.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: I want to lose my MP cam and crappy idle - suggestions - 09/07/10 07:03 PM

What's the initial timing on your car. It makes a HUGE difference in idle profile.

As an example. My 340 has a 284/528 mechanical in it. When the car was at 12* initial, it wouldn't run right at idle unless the AF was in the 12.7 range. Change the initial to 20*, it now idles with an AF of 14.2-14.7, much snappier response too.

Vacuum went for 9's to about 11-12 inches.
Posted By: 70Sbird

Re: I want to lose my MP cam and crappy idle - suggestions - 09/07/10 07:11 PM

If memory serves me correctly i'm running about 18 degrees
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: I want to lose my MP cam and crappy idle - suggestions - 09/07/10 07:53 PM

Quote:

So.... this is new territory for me, usually Im trying to go bigger not smaller.
This is for the 440 4bbl in my 'Bird, I have stock compression, iron dual plane intake, edelbrock 750 vac sec carb. Currently I have the MP purple shaft cam with 60 degrees of overlap, poor vacuum at idle etc...
This car is a cruiser and street car, I'm seriously considering just going back to the stock cam and seeing how it runs. I'm looking for good idle and torque, and a redline of under 5,000 RPM. also, I have a good double rolled timing chain in it, I've seen kits that contain the OEM style non roller chains. Since this will be a stock 440, is there any real advantage of a double roller, and is there a downside to using the "quieter" stock chains?
Any input will be helpful as I am pretty lost when it comes to cam selection It seems there are way too many choices out there, and I just want a decent running car.

First, get someone who knows how to setup your distributer and carb. Then decide if you like the current cam, I bet you will want to keep it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums