Moparts

rear suspension problem

Posted By: TrueTripleX

rear suspension problem - 09/01/10 01:40 AM

Car is a 69 Coronet R/T convert. The car has Dynamat and Dynapad installed throughout the car. The trunk has been completely boxed in with carpet and extra insulation for sound deadening. Even with heavy duty NEW rear leaf springs, the car sags. The springs are almost flat. I am sure that it is from the extra weight (estimate 500-600 pounds). What would you suggest to improve ride height and handling.
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: rear suspension problem - 09/01/10 02:03 AM

load leveler shocks

air bags

heavier duty springs
Posted By: Magnum

Re: rear suspension problem - 09/01/10 02:40 AM

To correct ride height, get the springs rearched or buy new ones.

To improve handling, you need a stiffer spring. Again new ones, with a higher spring rate. Or add a leaf to your old stack.
Posted By: TrueTripleX

Re: rear suspension problem - 09/01/10 05:57 PM

Quote:

To improve handling, you need a stiffer spring. Again new ones, with a higher spring rate. Or add a leaf to your old stack.

As mentioned, the springs on the car are brand new HD from Mopar. not sure that rearching will help and i don't know who would have some "super HD" springs. Any and all help will be appreciated
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: rear suspension problem - 09/01/10 09:12 PM

mopar springs are designed to be in a nearly flat position when installed, so they are doing exactly what they are supposed to do. The flatness of them is actually a greater benefit to handling than having a high arch.

If you want additional ride height or load capacity out of them, they would need to be custom built for that purpose. Since you already have them in, you can add a leaf to get a couple more inches of lift from them for arond $50, or you can buy a new set for another $200-250 with additional arch built in them. Best source of these would be Espo.
Posted By: scamper340

Re: rear suspension problem - 09/02/10 03:47 AM

Have you looked at adjustable front spring hangers, I'm assuming they make them for B-bodies. Or could you possibly flip the front hangers? Not versed in B-bodies, but I've heard of guys doing it on A-bodies to gain some height.
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: rear suspension problem - 09/02/10 01:05 PM

I have done alot of customers cars with new mopar springs. They do seem to be lower than maybe some of the originals. Since the customers usually had larger tires than stock on the back they need more clearance so i just had them rearched 2 inches and they work perfect.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: rear suspension problem - 09/02/10 04:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As mentioned, the springs on the car are brand new HD from Mopar. not sure that rearching will help and i don't know who would have some "super HD" springs. Any and all help will be appreciated

You asked 2 questions. Ride height and handling.
Rearching them WILL give you more ride height without changing the srping rate. Is that what you want?
Since you mentioned you've added 500 lbs (which sounds like alot BTW). Adding a leaf will increase the spring rate. This will improve your handling and that is a common practice when carring more load.

Rearch = ride height.
Add spring = add spring rate.

Flipping the front hanger is about 1/2" higher.
© 2024 Moparts Forums