Moparts

Intermittent no-start problem... 99 Ram

Posted By: RestoRick

Intermittent no-start problem... 99 Ram - 08/31/10 08:11 PM

Looking for some ideas.

'99 Dodge Ram 5.2L

About a month ago coming up to a stop sign, I had the truck stumble, start idling rough and then die.
Wouldn't restart. Popped the hood looked around for anything obvious, closed the hood, hit the key and it fired right up and was fine until last week.

g/f takes it to work, wouldn't start after it sat all day. She tried numerous times. Tried it with the throttle at different positions too.
Had it towed home. I hop in after it's dropped off the wrecker and it fired right up!

It didn't trip the check engine light on either incident.
I just scanned it for trouble codes.. nothin'
Tested fuel pressure... it's 49# before firing it up. 50# when it's running and with reving it. The needle does quiver rapidly about a pound, if that means anything.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to check for spark when it's not starting yet.

What next?
Posted By: rhad

Re: Intermittent no-start problem... 99 Ram - 08/31/10 08:16 PM

im gonna guess that it might be the crank position sensor,ive had to replace them on my dakota and jeep,i dont know how to test them?
Posted By: loco340cuda

Re: Intermittent no-start problem... 99 Ram - 08/31/10 08:48 PM

I had this same exact problem with my 99 5.9L Durango. It would do the same thing that you described and then just die. Sometimes it would start right up and other times it would take a little while before it would start. I took it to two different dealers to have it looked at and they could never find anything. Everytime it never tripped a code. It got to the point I could not trust the car becuase it would just die for no reason when you were driving. I did some research on this and found a website (I don't remember the web address) where a bunch of people were complaining about this and their dealers as well as Chrysler would not do anything about it. I have heard theories that it is the computer, the PCM box, blah, blah, blah. I never found the problem and never found any information about what it is caused by or how to fix it but when my wife was in the middle of rush hour traffic and it stalled out twice I decided that this is now a safety issue and I was not going to have this car as the family vehicle so I sold the car a couple of years ago.

The worst part about this problem is that it is not consistant. It might happen a couple of times in a week or so and not happen again for another 8 months.

Sorry I was not any help but I wanted to let you know that you are not the only person this has happened to. Let me know if you get this solved, I would really like to know what fixes it.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Intermittent no-start problem... 99 Ram - 08/31/10 09:08 PM

I would check the coil and see if it is rusted Most of the vans I had that quit or acted up were due to plugs being shot or coil that was rusted and bad. For some many thought the 360s etc were equipped with platinum plugs which they were not, other things that can cause this are the crank sensor but that should drop a code. The coil did not generally trip the engine light
Posted By: sreinheimer

Re: Intermittent no-start problem... 99 Ram - 09/01/10 01:25 AM

Check and make sure they battery is good and fully charged, IAC and Throttle housing is clean and your trans fluid is full. The last one i had it turned out to be the trans fluid was low and would stall when coming to a light.
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: Intermittent no-start problem... 99 Ram - 09/01/10 01:52 AM

id say crank sensor have changed dozens of them
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Intermittent no-start problem... 99 Ram - 09/01/10 02:28 PM

Quote:

id say crank sensor have changed dozens of them

Change the bad crank sensor.
Posted By: JCCuda

Re: Intermittent no-start problem... 99 Ram - 09/01/10 06:12 PM

I'm pretty sure it's your fuel pump. In-tank pumps will do as you described. My 2000 Ram 1500 5.9 shut off while driving down the highway. I had the truck towed and when they dropped the truck it fired right up. For a couple weeks prior to it just shutting off on the highway it was cranking longer in the morning before starting. I changed the pump, problem solved. It started like it alway's had and hasn't stalled since and that was over 2 years ago. I've also had this happen on other vehicles sometimes banging the tank (or bouncing around on the tow truck) will get the pump working again but only temporarily. Good Luck!
Posted By: chache876

Re: Intermittent no-start problem... 99 Ram - 09/01/10 07:33 PM

Quote:

I've also had this happen on other vehicles sometimes banging the tank (or bouncing around on the tow truck) will get the pump working again but only temporarily. Good Luck!

GM vehicles? They have a huge problem with the wiring harness contacts loosening up and banging on the tank reconnects the connector (at least until you hit the next speed bump)
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: Intermittent no-start problem... 99 Ram - 09/02/10 03:42 AM

Quote:

I would check the coil and see if it is rusted Most of the vans I had that quit or acted up were due to plugs being shot or coil that was rusted and bad. For some many thought thethings that can cause this are the crank sensor but that should drop a code. The coil did not generally trip the engine light

Check the coil wire at the dist. end.
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Intermittent no-start problem... 99 Ram - 09/02/10 03:20 PM

Thanks for all the tips...

I'm starting with the cheapest first...
I threw a coil & crank position sensor on it.
The coil was a Made In Japan aftermarket that had some swelling of the magnet part. The crank sensor was the original 169K miles unit.

Fuel pump hasn't given me any other indications either... always starts quickly, etc.

Seems like the most logical possibilities since it hasn't dropped any codes.
Time will tell..

Rick
© 2024 Moparts Forums