Moparts

Best spark plug

Posted By: zzyzxpat

Best spark plug - 08/31/10 01:23 AM

Looking for recomendations for a 10:1, 361, 3.75 stroke, .045" quench, 516 heads,Pertronix 3 conversion, 60304 Lunati, DP4B, no carb yet, HP exhaust manifolds, auto, 3.55 rear. New combo, street only, getting ready to fire soon. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 01:48 AM

I say this everytime this question comes up but...Mancinis has the best plug chart anywhere and NGK #'s NGK is the best out there and that chart nails it for numbers that you can get at the local parts store anywhere OR AT MANCINIS
Posted By: JoesMopar

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 02:09 AM

Champion

NGK's are for honda's...
Posted By: roe

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 02:21 AM

has anyone tried those new E-3 plugs? my brother swears they made his car run smoother/stronger, and better on gas. what do you guys think abouth them?
Posted By: roy2345

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 02:27 AM

E3 plugs are in my 440 and it made it run alot smoother.....
Posted By: ahy

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 02:47 AM

Quote:

I say this everytime this question comes up but...Mancinis has the best plug chart anywhere and NGK #'s NGK is the best out there and that chart nails it for numbers that you can get at the local parts store anywhere OR AT MANCINIS

Posted By: stumpy

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 03:20 AM

E3s are over priced over hyped waste of money. If they were all that great the factories would be using them. A good single electode plug is all anyone needs. Those extra two electrodes just shroud the spark.

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 03:24 AM

Can you give me a number to start with, or just run with the catalog number? Thanks for your time.
Pat
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 03:27 AM

Quote:

Champion

NGK's are for honda's...

My 440 runs AWESOME with NGK plugs.

I just pulled the fouled Champion out of my lawnmower last weekend. The sad part is I am NOT joking...
Posted By: MidPenMopar

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 03:33 AM

Never had any luck with Champions but maybe it's just me. I use those ACCELL split grove plugs in my 383 and they seem to work great!
Posted By: Dodgem

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 03:33 AM

Quote:

Champion

NGK's are for honda's...

Posted By: JoesMopar

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 04:03 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Champion

NGK's are for honda's...

I just pulled the fouled Champion out of my lawnmower last weekend. The sad part is I am NOT joking...

That's because they were in a lawnmower. How dare you compare a well oiled machine like a Chrysler big block to a lawnmower....

Always had great service out of Champions. Just like anything else, you need t he right ones for your engine.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 04:15 AM

Mancini will fix you up with either NKG's or Champions. I've had good results with NKG's.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 12:34 PM

NGK.
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 01:03 PM

I've run Autolite in my engines 318/361/360/383/440 for the last 40 years with no problems.
Posted By: Gusteve

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 02:46 PM

Quote:

I've run Autolite in my engines 318/361/360/383/440 for the last 40 years with no problems.

I used Champion RJ12YC's for years in several 440 cars, and just thought that plug fouling was a normal thing. After switching to Autolite 85's I've never had a problem.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 03:28 PM

Ive run Autolites since the 60s.Never had a problem.Just put NGKs in my 12.5 street driven 440 last year.Its faster idles better and even seems to get a bit better milage.Only thing I run Champions in is the new Mopars.I agree the E3s seem like hype.Rocky
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 10:12 PM

Quote:

Looking for recomendations for a 10:1, 361, 3.75 stroke, .045" quench, 516 heads,Pertronix 3 conversion, 60304 Lunati, DP4B, no carb yet, HP exhaust manifolds, auto, 3.55 rear. New combo, street only, getting ready to fire soon. Thanks in advance.

As others, I like NGK's the best. Just looking at them, you can tell that there high quality.

BTW, that looks like an interesting engine combo. Did you have to get custom pistons made? What car is it in?

Also, did you wire the Pertronix 3 conversion direct or run it through the ballast resister?

Posted By: repad

Re: Best spark plug - 08/31/10 10:30 PM

Quote:

I agree, except the new ones are now made in china, don't know if the quality is still the same.

Re: Best spark plug - 09/01/10 01:45 AM

Yea, it's a little different. It's the original engine in a '66 Coronet 440, barn find, that sat since 1981. I picked it up last year and with my boys help, am in the process of putting it back on the road. I wanted to keep it as original as I could. Hate spending the money to stay 361, but everybody and their brother has a 440. I figured if I was going to go 361, I would at least stroke it a little. I am getting ready to order pistons, probably from someone on Moparts. That is why I was asking about the plugs, so I can do a proper CC on the heads before I order. I plan on running the Pertronix with no ballast, as I think they recommend that. I agree with you on NGK. They do look quality. I went on Mancinis to get the number. Thanks to all who responded. I love this place. Pat
Posted By: joewhite440

Re: Best spark plug - 09/01/10 05:29 AM

Quote:

Same here, Motorcraft until you could no longer get them.

Joe Sr
Posted By: therocks

Re: Best spark plug - 09/01/10 02:39 PM

At least no one suggested Bosch plugs.Thats a good thing.The 361 is a good motor.I had 3 of them and the one that was in my 65 was bullet proof.I tried to blow it and never could.My old man wouldnt let me put a 440 in because the OE motor was still running.When I moved the 361 came out and 440 went in.Rocky
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Best spark plug - 09/01/10 03:05 PM

Quote:

Champion

NGK's are for honda's...

New champions are crap
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Best spark plug - 09/01/10 03:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, except the new ones are now made in china, don't know if the quality is still the same.

They aren't the same quality , and they didn't get better
Posted By: 74RALLYE

Re: Best spark plug - 09/01/10 05:40 PM

NGK for my 440. They also last a very long time in 2 stroke dirt bikes.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: Best spark plug - 09/02/10 02:05 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Champion

NGK's are for honda's...

That's because they were in a lawnmower. How dare you compare a well oiled machine like a Chrysler big block to a lawnmower....

Always had great service out of Champions. Just like anything else, you need t he right ones for your engine.

I HAVE THE "RIGHT ONES" FOR MY ENGINE.
They are NGK.

Sorry, but I've tried Champions galore over the years, and to sum it up....
No
Thank
You.

Posted By: BobN

Re: Best spark plug - 09/02/10 03:06 AM

I have had great response with NGK's in my 440!
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Best spark plug - 09/02/10 04:58 AM

Never had a problem with a Champion. Autolites were great, now made in China.

E3? Isn't that the plug that fires through a diamond? I don't think they have 3 pronds.
Posted By: justinjames

Re: Best spark plug - 09/02/10 08:26 AM

NGK’s are good.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Best spark plug - 09/02/10 05:15 PM

Quote:

E3? Isn't that the plug that fires through a diamond? I don't think they have 3 pronds.

Yes they fire through a diamond shape but the E3 stands for 3 electodes. Check this out. http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/ way too much extra crap to carry a charge from a positive pole to a negative.
Posted By: Rug_Trucker

Re: Best spark plug - 09/03/10 04:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes they fire through a diamond shape but the E3 stands for 3 electodes. Check this out. http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/ way too much extra crap to carry a charge from a positive pole to a negative.

Well OK looked at them! It would be interesting to see how the spark kernal looked. I did have them at Lowes. We sold a few. I didn't push them. However a couple of customers swore their string trimmer ran better with it.

The V groove NGK's are suppossed to be great in slants.

The 2 and 4 Bosch's are a joke. Electricity goes to the shortest gap.
© 2024 Moparts Forums