Moparts

Synthetic oil

Posted By: 1BAD383

Synthetic oil - 08/30/10 04:38 PM

Will synthetic oil cause some oil leaks on a car that is 9 years old. We purchased the car a year ago, and it had used regular oil. Then when I got the oil changed, I put synthetic oil in.
Posted By: Dartthunder340

Re: Synthetic oil - 08/30/10 04:43 PM

I did not have a problem switching to a full synthetic oil in my '95 Ram for a period of time. Since then things have gotten a little tight so I have gone to a Valvoline blend. But I did'nt see any leaks at all. Hope it helps.

edit: switched at over 100,000. Truck still runs fantastic.
Posted By: Paul_Fancsali

Re: Synthetic oil - 08/30/10 06:15 PM

Usre the high mileage oil valvoline or pensoil its works great and leaks will slow down to virtually disappear. Not for pouring leak
Posted By: deansrr

Re: Synthetic oil - 08/30/10 06:48 PM

Synthetic oil flows much better, if you have a small leak it could enhance it, but havn't seen it happen to often
Posted By: Moparzrule

Re: Synthetic oil - 08/30/10 06:50 PM

Mobil 1 has the high mileage oil now too.
Posted By: 1BAD383

Re: Synthetic oil - 08/30/10 09:40 PM

It's a very small leak, a couple of drops a day.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: Synthetic oil - 08/31/10 12:40 AM

Darthunder340, blend your own. Legally, all they have to do is put a tablespoon of synthetic in and they can call it a "Blend" Most folks think it is 50/50 but its not. Put in two quarts of good synthetic on a 6 qt. change and you get most of the benefits of synthetic. Dave Vizard wrote an article several years ago about this.
Posted By: Spike

Re: Synthetic oil - 08/31/10 02:44 AM

Synthetic oils flow better, the molecules are consistent and not irregular like conventional oils.

They won't cause a leak. Most likely you had a leak somewhere and the synthetic oil found it's way out.
Posted By: Dartthunder340

Re: Synthetic oil - 08/31/10 04:24 AM

Quote:

Darthunder340, blend your own. Legally, all they have to do is put a tablespoon of synthetic in and they can call it a "Blend" Most folks think it is 50/50 but its not. Put in two quarts of good synthetic on a 6 qt. change and you get most of the benefits of synthetic. Dave Vizard wrote an article several years ago about this.

Lee446, thanks for the info about that. I am coming up on a change and will switch.
© 2024 Moparts Forums