Moparts

new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker

Posted By: torqueaddict

new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/30/10 04:11 PM

Hey guys what are the pros and cons of doing a Hemi conversion, and what would be the most cost effective and give you good street performance?
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/30/10 04:15 PM

got more info? budget? limitations? expectations?

the 2 are totally different and cannot even be compared without more requirements...do you want all out power or driveability? EFI/carb? budget?

depending on the car and what it's got now, a big block might drop in with just an all out stroker build costing $5-6K, but if its a small block car, then you need everything to drop it in, and could spend closer to 10-12K

a hemi driveline out of a junkyard could probably be had for less than $5K...but then you have wiring, custom engine mounts, headers, etc. to worry about.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/30/10 05:37 PM

if you are talking about a newer 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi in I hope you can do your own work. Otherwise it will be very expensive and won't run even w/ a mild 440.
For somebody like me w/ limited skills I'd stroke the 440, or maybe supercharge it. Pretty easy ti make 600hp with a 440. Not sure how much work it would take to make a 5.7 turn out those numbers...and don't forget about torque. It depends on your wallet and what you want out of the car.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/30/10 08:05 PM

Heres the situation: the car is a challenger that currently has a 383 in it, my buddy kinda got me thinking it would damn near be cheaper to get a used Hemi and drop it in with a sb 727. Heres what I already have, I have a standard bore 440 with a forged crank, and 440 source stealth heads this is all at the machine shop. Even if I build the 440 using the stock crank and rods, pistons and rings would cost nearly as much as a stroker kit. Now I started thinking Hemi's are on craigslist for around 2k with low miles I am going to spend a least that on the stroker kit alone, then getting it machined assembled, (not to mention all the bolt on stuff intake, oil pan, carb) I would be in around 6-7 k total. If I got a good deal on a Hemi, ( lets say under 3k with the wiring harness and fuel pump) my transmission guy would rebuild me a 727 with 4 pinion planetary gears for under $500 (parts included in that price). I would be in 3500 in parts and once installed would have a car with decent power and that can be driven long distances without hesitation. When it comes to performance I know what I can get out of a 512 stroker from what everyone tells me but I think a Hemi with 350-400 hp and 450 fpt would be ok with with me. I think I may have to get a 6.1 to get those kind of #'s I have seen them new for around 6k) I dont really know how to install any kind of engine but there are many shops in my area that have done LS1 changes in Government Motors cars so I think I can get the change done for probably about 2k in labor. Tell me how this sounds am I off or does this make sense.
Posted By: mickm

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/30/10 08:55 PM

Quote:

gthen you need everything to drop it in, and could spend closer to 10-12K

a hemi driveline out of a junkyard could probably be had for less than $5K...but then you have wiring, custom engine mounts, headers, etc. to worry about.

seems to me that unless you have substantial experience with wring and fabrication, or are willing to learn, you will be into this substantially more to put the hemi in.

wiring work is not cheap, generally, and i'm sure there are many hours involved in doing this right.

but it has been done, so maybe someone with experience will post...

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/30/10 09:17 PM

You can do your 440 way cheaper than 6k. Jeesh you can buy fulley assembled 500ci 500hp units for 5k. Those "Hemis" you are looking at online are from wrecked cars/trucks. Who knows how well one is going to run. You going to stay w/ EFI? Plan on spending $$$ on sensors and extensive wiring. And headers? Plus the new Hemis are drive by wire. No need to even stroke it. Youcan call summit and get a rebuild kit w/ forged pistons for waht $7-800? Those Hemi conversions look easy however I don't think it's something an average Joe can do in his gargae.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/30/10 09:46 PM

The 440 is cheaper.....BUT, the Hemi is wicked cool. They can be converted to a carb for the price of an intake at $399, carb $550, MSD coil on wire $650 ignition. I am not sure what else is needed, but I am sure I missed a few things like headers and engine mounts,...and of course the SB trans. Its still only 345hp while your 440 should be closer to 500hp and a bunch more torque. Its your call.....But they are cool.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/30/10 10:01 PM

I think with the basic carb conversion and headers the 5.7 hemi is puting out around 400hp
Posted By: ahy

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/30/10 11:59 PM

As posted... different animals but both good. One consideration is the transmission. Gen III hemis are like gen II hemis in one respect... they make their power with good breathing and RPM more than mid range torque like a 440/500.

It takes a good transmission to get the 5.7 to move a full size car well and retain some efficiency. Low first gear, increased stall convertor, lockup and OD with a rear gear that will let it spin. With a 727 I believe it would be dissapointing. A Keisler 4 speed OD would be a much better match.
Posted By: LO23

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 12:10 AM

torqueaddict-440 stroker-simple
Posted By: az426john

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 01:28 AM

From an ease of installation perspective, if the car already has a big block in it, it would seem easier and possibly less costly to go with a 440 stroker.
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 02:11 AM

In MY opinion, go with the 440. Forget about the cost and work involved. Even from a looks standpoint, I walk right past 60s/70s cars that have the new 5.7/6.1 Hemis in them at carshows. Just doesnt look right...regardless of how it runs
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 02:21 AM

Quote:

In MY opinion, go with the 440. Even from a looks standpoint, I walk right past 60s/70s cars that have the new 5.7/6.1 Hemis in them at carshows. Just doesnt look right...regardless of how it runs

I somehow doubt the OP gives a crap about what some random guy on the intenet thinks how his combo looks with the hood popped. 99.9% of the time your car is driving with the hood closed. Build what you want to run/drive the way you want.

The car is already a big block car, do the 440. You will be $$$ ahead and have a better performing combo. Especially seeing how much 440 stuff you already have. If you really want the EFI, that can always be swapped in later.
Posted By: derekeh

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 02:43 AM

My opinion.. I would go with the newer hemi if possible. Sure it would cost more but in the end I think it would be worth it. I think with a mild cam, headers, intake, etc you would be more than happy with the engines power, street manners and better handling thanks to the lighter hemi engine. Ive seen new challengers run mid 12s with bolt ons while still being n/a. Your lighter car should be able to do that and then some with ease. Besides its always cool to show people that mopars do NOT require 440+ cube big blocks to keep up with the ford/chevy crowd...
Posted By: mercman1

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 02:47 AM

TorqeAddict...You will be way ahead to go with a mild stroker 440. If you can assemble it yourself you can stroke, machine and asssemble a 500 inch mild stroker to make 550 hp and maybe 600lbs torque for about $8k and that includes carb to pan,ignition and headers. I built this for a friend's 70 Challenger and he runs on 89 octane fuel. With the AC on it will just boil the tires in any gear.
I've been looking at every option to get 600 hp from my new SRT8 Challenger and a supercharger will be $6k alone. I will need to stroke it, ported heads cam and so on plus pay a tuner big$$$ to dial in the calibration.
If you go new Hemi you will have to redo accessory drive system for water pump alternator and power steering, rig electric fans, conversion kits for starter as new hemi is on the opposite side.
Un less you have big$$$ to spend this is a no brainer.
PS I have yet to have a new Hemi catch my 10 second wedge GTX to tell me his engine "looked cooler. I get a LOT more respect from the 10 second time slip.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 03:44 AM

I've had all the scenarios you've listed. As to the late Hemi conversion, figure up what you think it'll cost and then double it.

The 5.7 Hemi runs good, much better as it builds RPM's. If you had a light Dart I'd be more inclined to lean towards the late Hemi.

If it were my car I'd stay with the big inch engine.

Robert

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 04:49 AM

Quote:

Build what you want to run/drive the way you want.

Then whats the point of asking everybodys opinion? He asked for it, and he got it. Yeah, go with the new Hemi then. Drop literally thousands of dollars on something that will run like a mild 360. Thats an apples and oranges comparison anyway. Gee, stroked 440, or a stock 5.7 Hemi. Speaking of, I was thinking about combinations for my Charger. What do you think? Maybe pick up a stock slant 6, or a 528 Hemi??? Hmm...too close to call! Decisions decisions....

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 04:52 AM

Quote:

I somehow doubt the OP gives a crap about what some random guy on the intenet thinks

And just a newsflash, were all pretty much "random guys on the internet"

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 05:51 AM

Guys call me stupid but if a wedge stroker cost 8k from carb to pan, how is that cheaper than a Hemi if you can get a fully assembled motor for under 3k not to mention I could go the cheap route and put a carb on the Hemi and make out even cheaper than a fuel injected Hemi even if I pay someone 3k to install thats still cheaper. I really do value you guys opinion and this will allow me to make a better call
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 06:10 AM

I think it's more HP per dollar for the stroker.The $3k hemi is a 345hp engine,the $8k stroker 440 is more like 500+hp.Considering you have a big block installed in the car now,the 440 bolts in,while the hemi needs to adapt.You need a new trans,motor mounts,wiring and an aftermarket ignition and fuel controller if you want more hp,exhaust,etc.it adds up!I like the new hemi,but if it comes down to $'s,you have a lot of BB part ready to go.
RT
Posted By: Alikazam

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 06:36 AM

Personally I really like my 6.1L hemi and would not think twice about swapping one in if I were in a position to do so. The heads flow 300 cfm on the intake side without any porting! Stock they churn out 425 hp. A "couple" of bolt ons (good exhaust, intake, tuner, etc.) you can get upwards of 400 whp and 400 wtq out of them. If you go the carb route, may be able to "tune it" even easier. I would go 6.1 or 440. Not the 5.7 as it has MDS and the '09 up have VVT and not sure how you would control that if you stayed with a carb set-up. But the '09 up 5.7 heads are said to be even better than the 6.1L heads.

A decently tuned 6.1L with bolt ons will DEFINITELY keep up with a "mild" 440, but a stroker is another story. My buddy with a "stock long block" 6.1L SRT8 charger running E85 has hit a best of 11.85 in his car on slicks, lightening the car up some (no rear seat, carbon fiber trunk lid, etc.), Cold air intake, torque converter and a 90mm throttle body. Good luck!

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 12:24 PM

Quote:

I think it's more HP per dollar for the stroker.The $3k hemi is a 345hp engine,the $8k stroker 440 is more like 500+hp.Considering you have a big block installed in the car now,the 440 bolts in,while the hemi needs to adapt.You need a new trans,motor mounts,wiring and an aftermarket ignition and fuel controller if you want more hp,exhaust,etc.it adds up!I like the new hemi,but if it comes down to $'s,you have a lot of BB part ready to go.
RT

you don't need to spend 8k on a 440. Do yourself a huge favor and look at some used parts and look at some magazine articals on 440 builds before you start writting checks. A mild 440 build (non-stroked) in your E-body and you should be well into the 12's. Not a chance your new Hemi can match that.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 12:52 PM

You are right the bigger $ will get bigger hp but I just dont see how the costs are even close the Hemi conversion seems cheaper. I even called 440source and they said I can return the heads with a restocking fee. I know the 440 will run like a raped ape but the question is more about cost effectivness. Also I will never take my car to the track so driving on the street is really what I want out of my car I would not mind a 440 I just dont wanna spend 8k to do it

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 01:05 PM

you don't need to spend 8k on a 440. Do yourself a huge favor and look at some used parts and look at some magazine articals on 440 builds before you start writting checks. A mild 440 build (non-stroked) in your E-body and you should be well into the 12's. Not a chance your new Hemi can match that.

So how much would a mild 440 cost? I dont see doing a big block even without a stroker for less than another 4k in parts and a 1k in labor I am open to the 440 build its just not as cheap as everyone seems to think. If I had a 440 already and could reuse my car intake and so on then it could be cheaper but since I need all that it just looks really expensive. As for the new motor if I get it for between 2-3 k I dont see spending much more to get it in. I am just playing devils advocate and trying to get the best powerplant possible.
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 01:11 PM

The new hemi is great, but don't forget that its not the price of the motor that is the cost of the conversion.

First, if you want EFI, the OE harness needs expensive mods to stand alone, along with a cable converter for the fly by wire. Otherwise its carb kits which work great too. If the motor is MDS, that will need to be removed as well. The hemi must use and electric fuel pump also.

Getting it into the car requires mounts, headers, oil pan, sb trans, conversion flexplate and radiator+electric fan. These all add up too.

The transmission is small block pattern, so your BB 727 wont work either. You will also need to convert the kickdown to cable, as none of the OE brackets fit.

If you are confortable addressing these items then go for it. A simple cam/spring swap will net 425 hp easy on a 5.7.
Posted By: DennisH

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 01:27 PM

I own 2 5.7's. Sweet. For the Challenger,
Big Block 440!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumpity thump. No comparison.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 01:33 PM

Quote:

So how much would a mild 440 cost? I dont see doing a big block even without a stroker for less than another 4k in parts and a 1k in labor I am open to the 440 build its just not as cheap as everyone seems to think. If I had a 440 already and could reuse my car intake and so on then it could be cheaper but since I need all that it just looks really expensive. As for the new motor if I get it for between 2-3 k I dont see spending much more to get it in. I am just playing devils advocate and trying to get the best powerplant possible.

I bought this short block here on Moparts w/ a total of 8 runs. 4 on dyno 4 at the track for $1500 SHIPPED. It is a decked, squared balanced blueprinted .030 over 440 w/ Diamond pistons. I bough a set of ported 516 heads w/ 2.14/1.81 valves NEVER USED for $400. They flow great. Before I decided to go w/ a six-pack I had a used Torker II $75, used 750HP carb $350, New Summit headers $109, 3" exhaust $230, I spent $190 on a custom solid cam, but you can get a nice hydro w/ lifters for that. I also have a set of 1.5 roller rockers I bought new at Carlise for $150, but stock is fine as well. So how much is that? $2774 (not including exhaust) Even with the 6 pack I'm still under 5k. This should make pretty close to 500hp or more. What's wrong w/ your 383? You'd be surprised what a cam, intake, a GOOD carb (read no Eddy 750) headers and a good tune can do to an old 383. Add a 2800 stall and some gears and that thing will move out. My buddy took his 100k+ 383 2bbl 69 Charger and added a Summit t-chain set, 488 cam, headers, M1 intake and a 670 Demon carb and a set of 3.55's and ran 14.10 driving like grandma. The car could have easlily ran 13.70's with some slicks and if he was a little more aggressive w/ it. Keep in mind that's with a stock 383 2bbl convert and ollllld 727 trans.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 01:38 PM

Quote:

You are right the bigger $ will get bigger hp but I just dont see how the costs are even close the Hemi conversion seems cheaper. I even called 440source and they said I can return the heads with a restocking fee. I know the 440 will run like a raped ape but the question is more about cost effectivness. Also I will never take my car to the track so driving on the street is really what I want out of my car I would not mind a 440 I just dont wanna spend 8k to do it

You have been all over the map with your questions since you have joined this forum. I have to ask, how old are you ?

The first red flag I see is your thought that you can pay someone 3k to put a new generation hemi in your car ... good luck with that.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 01:49 PM

As John states, getting for 2-3k and getting into your car and making everything work are 2 different things. Leave those New Gen Hemi swaps to the resto-mod guys. Oh and your 383 intake will not owrk w/ a 440 or a RB. You could always stroke your 383 ya know.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 04:07 PM

The 5.7 is significantly lighter than a small block not to mention a big block. Secondly you can easily run a 904 instead of the 727 and lose even more weight and put more of your HP to the wheels. Probably be about as fast as a mild big block and handle WAAAAAAAAY better and get better MPG(don't know how much you drive I am just mentioning it).

Your car will be close to 1000 lbs lighter than a challenger witch by the way can run very low 13s bone stock, you would be makeing more HP to boot.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 05:03 PM

Quote:

The 5.7 is significantly lighter than a small block not to mention a big block. Secondly you can easily run a 904 instead of the 727 and lose even more weight and put more of your HP to the wheels. Probably be about as fast as a mild big block and handle WAAAAAAAAY better and get better MPG(don't know how much you drive I am just mentioning it).

Your car will be close to 1000 lbs lighter than a challenger witch by the way can run very low 13s bone stock, you would be makeing more HP to boot.

BS 1000lbs? Last I checked he'll be running aluminum heads, intake and probably H2O pump. Facts is facts the stock 5.7 makes about 340 hp and 375 lb·ft give or take.
"And the power plant is 56 pounds lighter than its predecessor."...the 360 magunum.
Were's that 1000 lbs at? It still has a cast iron block. Plus they make power higher in the rpms so he will need a expensive stall. The good stall for the newer Hemis start at $800!

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 07:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You have been all over the map with your questions since you have joined this forum. I have to ask, how old are you ?

The first red flag I see is your thought that you can pay someone 3k to put a new generation hemi in your car ... good luck with that.

If you dont like what I post then why answer? For one I post for positive feedback and comments. Regardless of what I do with my car I am always looking for information. Whats wrong with asking questions?

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 08:01 PM

Quote:

As John states, getting for 2-3k and getting into your car and making everything work are 2 different things. Leave those New Gen Hemi swaps to the resto-mod guys. Oh and your 383 intake will not owrk w/ a 440 or a RB. You could always stroke your 383 ya know.

I said if I buy all the parts to make it happen I do not think it will cost more than 3k in labor. I also clearly said I would have to buy everything for a 440 build ( I am giving the 383 to my brother) and that makes it not just a swap, the only thing that makes that build easier is the bb motor mounts. Look guys I really appreciate you guys help, Thanks for any and all comments.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 09:06 PM

Quote:

Quote:

BS 1000lbs? Last I checked he'll be running aluminum heads, intake and probably H2O pump. Facts is facts the stock 5.7 makes about 340 hp and 375 lb·ft give or take.
"And the power plant is 56 pounds lighter than its predecessor."...the 360 magunum.
Were's that 1000 lbs at? It still has a cast iron block. Plus they make power higher in the rpms so he will need a expensive stall. The good stall for the newer Hemis start at $800!

Thanks for jumping down my back with out ever paying atention to what I said.

Here it is in real simple english, An old challenger with a 5.7 and 904 will weigh close to 1000 lbs less than the 09 challenger. The 09 challenger will run very low 13s bone stock, now imagine with nearly 1000lbs less weight how much faster that same motor will propell a car

Now on top of that the 5.7 does make lots of power upstairs, but it is no slouch in the low RPM range,a factory high stall 904 converter will work great, there may be slightly better choices if you want to spend $800 (same with a 500 inch BB, it will drive through a stock converter)but for a nearly stock 5.7 with a carb conversion and headers it will work great.

XV motor sports gets 360 hp from them with a carb conversion with too small of a carb. Put on a bigger carb and headers and you will be close to 400hp. Heck a camand spring swap can net you 420hp in that configuration.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 09:42 PM

yes I misread your post sorry. but I'll stand by this
"The 09 challenger will run very low 13s bone stock"
It will not ... maybe the SRT-8. Stock 5.7 Challengers run 13.80's at best. Hey I like my 5.7 in my Magnum R/T AWD. It's a great motor and I almost have the 4700lb sled in the 13's but not a chance I'd try that swap.
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 08/31/10 10:03 PM

Are you building a race care or a great street cruiser?
If you are building a great street cruiser then I'd say go with a 6.1 if you can get it or the 5.7 with a carb up top.
If you are building a Race car then go with the tried and true stroked 440.
I was at at seminar with Herb McCandless and he has done the late model hemi swap in a few cars and can't say enough about it for a great street car,
he had his 1960 Chrysler 300 with him and he has installed a late hemi in it with Holly carb getting 20mpg from his place in N.C up to New Hamburg Ontario.
It looked great and he was talking about how the costs were coming down and that power was going up with the aftermarket supplying more to the market.
Indy Heads has a drop in kit with what you need, as well TTI sells the engine mounts and exhaust for B/E bodies. This is not what I have any experience with first hand but thought I'd put it out there for you to continue your research.
If it was me and I hadn't just built my stroker small block I'd go late 6.1 carb.
Good luck, but ask your self if you are building a car to drive to big shows with great power or are you building a race car.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/01/10 12:31 AM

There is a guy on here who ran 13teens out of the box with an 09 R/T 6 spd.
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/01/10 01:31 AM

i got 400 hp and 500 ft lbs out of a used 440 short...trw forged flattops 60 down in the hole, set of 516 closed chamber heads with a mild prot and gasket match, had the bigger valves put in, stock iron sixpack, msd 6al and a set of hooker comp headers...total investment with the sixpack 2800 bucks you should be able to get alot more out of a stroker with the right parts for 8k

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/01/10 04:28 AM

Quote:

Are you building a race care or a great street cruiser?
If you are building a great street cruiser then I'd say go with a 6.1 if you can get it or the 5.7 with a carb up top.
If you are building a Race car then go with the tried and true stroked 440.
I was at at seminar with Herb McCandless and he has done the late model hemi swap in a few cars and can't say enough about it for a great street car,
he had his 1960 Chrysler 300 with him and he has installed a late hemi in it with Holly carb getting 20mpg from his place in N.C up to New Hamburg Ontario.
It looked great and he was talking about how the costs were coming down and that power was going up with the aftermarket supplying more to the market.
Indy Heads has a drop in kit with what you need, as well TTI sells the engine mounts and exhaust for B/E bodies. This is not what I have any experience with first hand but thought I'd put it out there for you to continue your research.
If it was me and I hadn't just built my stroker small block I'd go late 6.1 carb.
Good luck, but ask your self if you are building a car to drive to big shows with great power or are you building a race car.

I am really building a street car with good power, I did some research and I would be paying around 917 for the motor mounts, flexplate and bolts, cam, plus the oil pan and pick up. I can get a rebuilt sb 727 for 500 with 4 pinion gears. Am I missing something I am going with a carb too by the way, gentlemen tell me what I am missing
Posted By: Alikazam

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/01/10 07:14 AM

Quote:

...but I'll stand by this
"The 09 challenger will run very low 13s bone stock"
It will not ... maybe the SRT-8. Stock 5.7 Challengers run 13.80's at best. Hey I like my 5.7 in my Magnum R/T AWD. It's a great motor and I almost have the 4700lb sled in the 13's but not a chance I'd try that swap.

Hate to break it to you but they upped the horsepower on the '09 and up 5.7's (375 hp approx) and they really do run low to mid 13's (13.3 - 13.4) bone stock with a good launch. Dodgetony pulled out his air filter and ran a best of 13.1 bone stock and a couple guys out there with a tuner, cat back exhaust, air intake kit and a couple other bolt ons have run mid 12's on 5.7 R/T challengers. Check out www.challengertalk.com if you want to find out more
Posted By: feets

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/01/10 04:46 PM

Ali, you'll never get through to Yuck and some of the others. Progress is good.
The architecture in the new hemi is light years ahead of the old wedges that were based on 50s era technology.
The only thing the new engines lack is displacement. There is simply NO WAY an old 360 will make the same power as a 5.7 without giving up street manners and efficiency.
The 6.1 will make more power than a similarly equipped 440.
It's easy to make stupid power out of a 440. The same things can be done to the 6.1 to make it just as strong. It takes a pair of big money wedge heads to match the flow of the stock 6.1 heads. Add a little work to the new stuff and you'll be chasing B1 or big Indy heads to keep up.

Doesn't anybody rememebr the Jeep SRT running 9s with a full interior?

The new engine is a little pricier than the wedges. It's a little more difficult to swap at the moment too. However, those swaps are getting easier as more people get on board.
Posted By: Cevidicus

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/01/10 05:24 PM

450-500ish crank HP from 03-08 5.7 with stock heads(not ported) Requires something like this for a conversion into a classic with a carb:

750 TTI headers or <200 for manifolds
400 Milodon oil pan, windage tray, gasket set
600 Indy Modman intake
550ish 700-750 carb
750 MSD Hemi 6 ignition controller/harness for carb conversion
425 Inertia Motorsports cam Mild to wild custom ground
125 push rods
165 adjustable timing set
300+ valve springs
<100 conversion flex plate or flex plate spacer set
135 TTi conversion brackets
totals $4300 Thats not including the core engine with accessories (2000), power sterring conversion($?), A/c conversion($?), SB trans, or rings, rod, main, cam bearings and gasket set(500) if needed.
Oh and the Lokar throttle/Kick down cables (200?)

So you are looking at around $7000-$8000 if you start out from scratch to swap in a lopy idleing 5.7. Add anywhere from 1000 to 2500 if you want to go EFI. NOT including the fuel system.

All in all not 'cheap' by any means. Even if all the stock components are used it is still costly and time consuming.

And avoid the '09+ 5.7's with the VVT. Read my thread at FABO http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=97262 and you will understand why.

Now Can someone post a part by part breakdown of a 440 build for comparison?

I hope this helps.

CM

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/01/10 05:40 PM

Even if you keep the stock cam, the timing chain tensioner and valve springs(you can use stock 6.1 springs) should be replaced. On HorsePowerTV they took a boneyard 5.7 and rebuilt it with elect water pump($700!) and FAST EZEFI ($2000+), headers, stock cam with new rings, bearings and dyno'd 400 HP 400 ft lbs tq

Oh, I forgot about replacing the MDS lifers and solonoids. Another 150-300 bones

The 09 Eagle heads can not be used in stock form on the 03-08 5.7 short blocks because of thier 66cc chambers vs. the 08's 84cc. Inertia has Eagle heads with enlarged chambers that yield 10.75 + compression ratio on the 08 down short block. Otherwise those heads will have like 12.5:1 CR!

If you are a glutton for punishment, like me, Nothing Beats the Cool Factor of a Modern Powerplant. But, you have to think out every detail and do your home work to make it work and not waste money.

I say go Gen III Hemi. How many 1st gen Challengers have big blocks? 90%?
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/01/10 05:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Build what you want to run/drive the way you want.

Then whats the point of asking everybodys opinion? He asked for it, and he got it. Yeah, go with the new Hemi then. Drop literally thousands of dollars on something that will run like a mild 360. Thats an apples and oranges comparison anyway. Gee, stroked 440, or a stock 5.7 Hemi. Speaking of, I was thinking about combinations for my Charger. What do you think? Maybe pick up a stock slant 6, or a 528 Hemi??? Hmm...too close to call! Decisions decisions....

If you read my post you will see I suggested the 440 over the 5.7. I agree bang for your buck the 440 is a much better option. I just think your comment of threatening to walk right by his car at a car show if he puts in a 5.7 hemi is totally ridiculous. Because I'm sure that's the deciding factor for him.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/01/10 06:07 PM

Quote:

Ali, you'll never get through to Yuck and some of the others. Progress is good.
The architecture in the new hemi is light years ahead of the old wedges that were based on 50s era technology.
The only thing the new engines lack is displacement. There is simply NO WAY an old 360 will make the same power as a 5.7 without giving up street manners and efficiency.
The 6.1 will make more power than a similarly equipped 440.
It's easy to make stupid power out of a 440. The same things can be done to the 6.1 to make it just as strong. It takes a pair of big money wedge heads to match the flow of the stock 6.1 heads. Add a little work to the new stuff and you'll be chasing B1 or big Indy heads to keep up.

Doesn't anybody rememebr the Jeep SRT running 9s with a full interior?

The new engine is a little pricier than the wedges. It's a little more difficult to swap at the moment too. However, those swaps are getting easier as more people get on board.

I don't really have anything against them. However right now it's NOT a cheap swap. And it souldn't be entertained by somebody that doesn't have deep pockets. I think Daytona has the best reply here by running down the actual cost of things. For the OP to think he can drop a 5.7 into his Challey and roll and spend less time and $$$ than by building a mild 440 is crazy. If somebody gave him the 5.7 he's still looking at thousands of dollars not mention the time to get it all up and running. AND it might match the HP numbers (oh and he's not talking about an 09 engine) it's at a much higher RPM and will make no where near the torque of a 440.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/01/10 07:12 PM

HERE save yourself some $$$ and aggravation. Plus you can sell the exhaust manis for a few hundred, the heads and intake for another $500. (since you already have the stealths. With a little more cam this could be a real strong runner for your e-body.

Fresh 68 forged steel crank engine 440 + .030. Carb to pan Including nice set of 68-69 HP exhaust manifolds. I believe this to be an original hi po engine but stamped numbers on top pad are almost gone. Pan rail numbers are PT440S24610641. Casting date 1 26 68. Balanced forged piston rotating assy with moly rings. Redone stock rods with new pins and fasteners. All machine work just done, crank turned, block square decked align honed, bored .030, new cam bearings etc. Top line new or rebuilt parts. Mildly ported iron heads all fresh, stainless valves. Hyd cam 442 465 272 282. Edelbrock Performer Intake. Engine tested and cam broken in with Brad Penn break in oil containing all proper additives. Pro assembled. Stock style pan with windage tray. Prefer local pickup here in N.E. Ohio but will deliver reasonable distance for fuel cost or free delivery to Norwalk Chrysler Classic with pre payment. Can also deliver to local shipper for palletizing and shipping at buyers expense. Can arrange for buyer to hear run on test stand depnding upon engine builder schedule.

Engine tested and cam broken in using Brad Penn break in oil containing all proper additives. Runs, looks and sounds great.

Asking $3895
Posted By: hemibeep

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/01/10 11:56 PM

okay, if you are using stock exhaust manifolds, you will probably have interference issues with steering rack, also, I believe the starter is on pass side of 5.7....you would move with 727. Look at radiator outlets, based on motor truck vs. car. I think oil filter might hit stock k-member? there is a great post in archieves about install into e-body. lots of pics.....
My opinion, go with new hemi, I am wrapping up 6.1 in 71 runner, and it is a winner. (also about 200 lbs off of the front of car!)

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/02/10 01:17 AM

60 for block off plate
60 for remote oil filter.....

If using car front cover, you need iether a custom radiator or that long ass hose from an 09 truck...

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/02/10 02:03 AM

Honestly I am starting to think it will be the same by the time I put both motors in, the only difference is I could probably put the 440 in myself. I guess if I cant sell the 440source heads then the decision may be made for me I have the rods, the block, and crank. I know even to build a "mild 440" this will be somewhat expensive the whole reason for the stroker, hemi battle was because my machinist said why build a motor you dont want for $700 cheaper than the motor you want. I may have to wait until the hemi swap becomes cheaper, this is a really tough choice tho. With unlimited money I think I would have to go new 6.1 hemi javascript:void(0)

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/02/10 12:20 PM

Quote:

Honestly I am starting to think it will be the same by the time I put both motors in, the only difference is I could probably put the 440 in myself. I guess if I cant sell the 440source heads then the decision may be made for me I have the rods, the block, and crank. I know even to build a "mild 440" this will be somewhat expensive the whole reason for the stroker, hemi battle was because my machinist said why build a motor you dont want for $700 cheaper than the motor you want. I may have to wait until the hemi swap becomes cheaper, this is a really tough choice tho. With unlimited money I think I would have to go new 6.1 hemi javascript:void(0)

I guess you didn't read my last post complete NEW 440 intake to oil pan $3800 OBO. AND it will drop right in. I guess cost isn't really your main concern. good luck finding a 6.1 for under 6k.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/02/10 01:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess you didn't read my last post complete NEW 440 intake to oil pan $3800 OBO. AND it will drop right in. I guess cost isn't really your main concern. good luck finding a 6.1 for under 6k.

Jeff you're pretty much talking to yourself at this point.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/02/10 02:08 PM

I guess you didn't read my last post complete NEW 440 intake to oil pan $3800 OBO. AND it will drop right in. I guess cost isn't really your main concern. good luck finding a 6.1 for under 6k. [/quo

I read your post but for 3800 I can buy a stroker kit and have my block machined. If I am going to build a 440 I may as well build the 440 I want. Besides I dont like buying stuff from other states unless its from a reputable manufacturer. That way if something goes wrong you have some form of recourse. If cost was no Issue, I would just buy a brand new 6.1 from Indy for 7k. Look man, I understand you love raised block motors, thats cool. But when it comes to reliability and factor Gen 3 Hemi's cant be beat. If you know me personally you know I dont want to be like everyone else. Thats why I got a mopar in the first place. Where I live there are none and if someone has one its a piece of junk or one that isnt cool (thats why I would not want the common big block) . I respect your opinion and value your comments and anyone elses. I will keep you posted on the build as it progresses I still havent made a decision but you have made me think.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/02/10 02:25 PM

Quote:

I guess you didn't read my last post complete NEW 440 intake to oil pan $3800 OBO. AND it will drop right in. I guess cost isn't really your main concern. good luck finding a 6.1 for under 6k. [/quo

I read your post but for 3800 I can buy a stroker kit and have my block machined. If I am going to build a 440 I may as well build the 440 I want. Besides I dont like buying stuff from other states unless its from a reputable manufacturer. That way if something goes wrong you have some form of recourse. If cost was no Issue, I would just buy a brand new 6.1 from Indy for 7k. Look man, I understand you love raised block motors, thats cool. But when it comes to reliability and factor Gen 3 Hemi's cant be beat. If you know me personally you know I dont want to be like everyone else. Thats why I got a mopar in the first place. Where I live there are none and if someone has one its a piece of junk or one that isnt cool (thats why I would not want the common big block) . I respect your opinion and value your comments and anyone elses. I will keep you posted on the build as it progresses I still havent made a decision but you have made me think.

I like both. You posted a question and I told you what I think you easiest, cheapest option is. Sounds like you had your mind set before you made the post. Good luck with your project.

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/02/10 05:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I like both. You posted a question and I told you what I think you easiest, cheapest option is. Sounds like you had your mind set before you made the post. Good luck with your project.

I was leaning I really want a 440 stroker but the Hemi seemed cheaper. Guys were saying if I buy the parts used for the Hemi you can do the swap pretty cheap.
Posted By: gdemon

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/02/10 05:43 PM

Ive done 4 hemi swaps so far and i think the prices are a little high. First off you can buy a complete 6.1 brand new for less then 6250 from the dealer.
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=1&fpart=1

used 5.7 $1000 on the high end
oil pan and pick up $300 gasket is reusable
Motor mounts $125 TTI
Exhaust manifolds $free comes with motor
Harness and computer $1400 Hot Wire
Throttle Control $240 Dealer
elect fan $15 u pick yard
Rad Alum $200 Ebay
6.1 rad Hoses $50 Dealer
Electric Fuel pump kit $350 Rock Valley
Flex Plate $100 Mancini
45 deg oil filter adpt $50 Dealer
6.1 cam $115 Dealer
16 6.1 exhaust springs $80 Dealer
16 6.1 push rods $40 Dealer

$4065.
Now there is a Guy in the new product section that has harnesses for $ 895. and then find a used Computer for a 2004 dodge ram manual trans. I got mine for $100.
Im sure I for got something but this pretty well sums it up. I know its not s stroker motor but a Gen III can make some nice hp too.My Demon got 20.1mpg @ 75 mph with a 355 gear and no overdrive coming back from the Nats.

Attached picture 6173740-isoresize6-15-10.jpg

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/02/10 05:55 PM

Quote:

Ive done 4 hemi swaps so far and i think the prices are a little high. First off you can buy a complete 6.1 brand new for less then 6250 from the dealer.
Motor mounts $125 TTI
Rad Alum $200 Ebay
6.1 rad Hoses $50 Dealer
Flex Plate $100 Mancini
6.1 cam $115 Dealer

$4065.
Now there is a Guy in the new product section that has harnesses for $ 895. and then find a used Computer for a 2004 dodge ram manual trans. I got mine for $100.
Im sure I for got something but this pretty well sums it up. I know its not s stroker motor but a Gen III can make some nice hp too.My Demon got 20.1mpg @ 75 mph with a 355 gear and no overdrive coming back from the Nats.

Only problem with all that is you are getting a USED engine and that's just the cost of the parts, meaning he'd have to be able to do all the work himself. I think these swaps will become easier and cheaper in the years out when more aftermarket products hit the street and more people do it. He can also run an O/D trans w/ the 440 and get decent MPG's.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/02/10 06:15 PM

When I get home I want to do a hemi conversion in my 72 Duster. Here's the benefit to the new hemi, you can beat the tar out of them and unless you throw a rod thru the pan your ounly out $1k if you break something. With the stroker 440 you have a scrap iron that will take $$$$ to rebuild.
To me this is like being in the 60-70s if you puked a motor you can go to the junkyard get a motor do a cam swap and you are back in business on the cheap.
Posted By: gdemon

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/02/10 06:23 PM

True it is a used engine. My last Hemi I got had 9000 miles on it. Its not new but pretty close.So if your not in a big hurry and have time to shop you can find some great deals.

Jerry

Re: new Hemi conversion vs 440 stroker - 09/02/10 09:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Motor mounts $125 TTI
Rad Alum $200 Ebay
6.1 rad Hoses $50 Dealer
Flex Plate $100 Mancini
6.1 cam $115 Dealer

$4065.

Only problem with all that is you are getting a USED engine and that's just the cost of the parts, meaning he'd have to be able to do all the work himself. I think these swaps will become easier and cheaper in the years out when more aftermarket products hit the street and more people do it. He can also run an O/D trans w/ the 440 and get decent MPG's.

I'm really not in any rush I may put the source heads on my 383 change my rear end and just wait till I move cross country to do anything( this will give me a chance to complete my car and enjoy the bb I already have
© 2024 Moparts Forums