Moparts

Buying a cam for a Magnum with mech. fuel pump?

Posted By: sharpie

Buying a cam for a Magnum with mech. fuel pump? - 08/21/08 10:01 PM

In the Hot Rod issue where they build a 5.9L Magnum with an LA front case and belt drive, here's what they say:

Quote:

Magnum engines featured a serpentine-belt accessory drive, a reverse-rotation water pump, and utilized a timing-case cover with no provision for a mechanical fuel pump. The Magnum camshaft nose was also changed and will not accept a mechanical fuel-pump drive eccentric. An LA-series timing case will bolt directly to a Magnum block, allowing mounting for the fuel pump, conventional accessories, and a standard LA-engine water pump in a retrofit application. The camshaft will also need to be ordered on a core with the LA-series nose to accept the fuel-pump eccentric.

The part I am most worries about is this: "The camshaft will also need to be ordered on a core with the LA-series nose to accept the fuel-pump eccentric."

What do they mean? Can I just purchase an LA-series camshaft, or will it not be correct? Thanks.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: Buying a cam for a Magnum with mech. fuel pump? - 08/21/08 10:04 PM

Magnums cams have a different snout on them that doesn't really allow a fuel pump eccentric.

Should be able to stick an LA cam into a magnum engine.

Re: Buying a cam for a Magnum with mech. fuel pump? - 08/21/08 10:30 PM

That's what I'd like to confirm. The article doesn't say, and I know I'll need to buy the eccentric and such, I just don't want to mess up a $300 order.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Buying a cam for a Magnum with mech. fuel pump? - 08/21/08 10:30 PM

Quote:

Magnums cams have a different snout on them that doesn't really allow a fuel pump eccentric.

Should be able to stick an LA cam into a magnum engine.

What about using a... linky linky

Re: Buying a cam for a Magnum with mech. fuel pump? - 08/21/08 10:38 PM

ah, thank you Jeff! that might be the way to go; I can use the stock cam for now

edit: though now that I look at that part, it looks like a magnum cam will fit into the 1987-02 (which that part's designed for), so that means an LA cam should slide into the Magnum block?
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Buying a cam for a Magnum with mech. fuel pump? - 08/21/08 10:39 PM

No prob
Posted By: patrick

Re: Buying a cam for a Magnum with mech. fuel pump? - 08/22/08 12:47 AM

Quote:

ah, thank you Jeff! that might be the way to go; I can use the stock cam for now

edit: though now that I look at that part, it looks like a magnum cam will fit into the 1987-02 (which that part's designed for), so that means an LA cam should slide into the Magnum block?

yup. the TBI LA's had a short snout, too. an LA cam and magnum cam are more or less identical, except carbed cams have the longer snout for a fuel pump eccentric, and LA cams have the #2 and #4 cam journals drilled to get oil up to the heads. OEM magnums typically don't....
Posted By: BulletBob

Re: Buying a cam for a Magnum with mech. fuel pump? - 08/22/08 05:52 AM

I have a Hughes snout extension kit on my Magnum & works great. 27,000 miles so far without fail.
Posted By: StandOnIt

Re: Buying a cam for a Magnum with mech. fuel pump? - 08/22/08 11:17 AM

The first cam I put in my magnum was a cam cut at CamMotion. The cam I have in it now is a MP purple 501/513 with the long snout. It is the circle track cam. Works pretty good for my combo. Hughs has cams for you with the long snout. You can get new cores or regrinds that are about half the cost. They have the springs to match the stick you want also.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Buying a cam for a Magnum with mech. fuel pump? - 08/22/08 05:22 PM

Hughes sells and adaptor to fit an fuel pump eccentric on a Magnum cam.
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: Buying a cam for a Magnum with mech. fuel pump? - 08/22/08 07:41 PM

I got my cam from Scott Brown and I asked him to grind a cam with the fuel pump eccentric. No problems or extra costs
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Buying a cam for a Magnum with mech. fuel pump? - 08/25/08 03:17 PM

Use a Carter P4070 Street Pump and you don't have to worry about the mechanical pump.
R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums