Moparts

Strange Cylinder Ridge in Rebuilt 340

Posted By: FC7AARcuda

Strange Cylinder Ridge in Rebuilt 340 - 08/29/10 02:27 PM

I bought a rebuilt 340 to drop in my car until I get the original rebuilt. The engine was complete carb to pan, but I didn't hear it run. It looked clean, turned over fine and the price was right. I decided to replace all the gaskets before putting it in my car. After pulling the heads I found that every cylinder has a small ridge or taper about 1 1/2 inches from the top. No ridge at the very top. It's not enough to catch a fingernail on, but you can definitiely feel it. I was told the piston are .030+ speedpro and the motor has less than 1,000 mile on it. What would cause this? Is this something I can hone and still use?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Strange Cylinder Ridge in Rebuilt 340 - 08/29/10 02:57 PM

Need pictures... are they all at the height on all 8 clys?
Posted By: FC7AARcuda

Re: Strange Cylinder Ridge in Rebuilt 340 - 08/29/10 09:48 PM

I can't get my camera to take up close pictures that show the wear pattern. It's in all 8 cylinders at about 1 1/2" down from the top of the cylinder(lower ring problem?). The pistons appear to be installed correctly (notch pointing towards front of engine).

Any ideas?
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Strange Cylinder Ridge in Rebuilt 340 - 08/29/10 10:19 PM

Are you sure that it isn't just a ring set mark from not being run for a period of time and will disappear with a little run time?
Posted By: bradybunch

Re: Strange Cylinder Ridge in Rebuilt 340 - 08/29/10 10:30 PM

could be a timing problem.
© 2024 Moparts Forums