Moparts

Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ?

Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/21/10 06:36 PM

Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is BEST for BOTH power and efficiency on the street, on both big and small blocks? Any opinions or facts?
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/21/10 06:49 PM

H-guy ....whatchootryintodo ... stir-up a bunchO Berri-Bumz HORNET's nest ?
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/21/10 06:53 PM

Six-Pak, FACT.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/21/10 06:56 PM

The PAC-man is a died-in-the-wool Berri Bum ... his opinion does not count !!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/21/10 06:59 PM

Quote:

The PAC-man is a died-in-the-wool Berri Bum ... his opinion does not count !!

wishing you and your trees a Holley-Jolley Xmas Doc!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/21/10 07:05 PM

Hay Pac ..... and may that Holly spiney-BUSH stick-ya' .....

And NOW I uNderstand why you have that wording below yurr name ....DOWN SHIFTING .....

Ya gotsta' do dat to clean the motor out from that pig-fat Berri Crab !
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/21/10 07:24 PM

Kinda depends, lot easier to put the t-quad on a good manifold. The 6 pack problem is the manifolds not the carb, unless you are me and can't get a holley to run right for nothin. T-quads run great and are easy to work on.
Posted By: ademon

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/21/10 07:27 PM

gets to be a pain to jet a t-quad when there are no aftermarket jets and rods. i have to scrounge for jets and drill them out on the lathe to get A/F ratio close.

Attached picture 6151569-party046(640x480).jpg
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/21/10 09:26 PM

6 pack baby. over 1300cfm

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/21/10 09:36 PM

They only flow 1300 if you flow them a 3.0 inches like 2bbls aree flowed. If you flow a 6pk at 1.5 like the 4bbls are then it will strugle to flow 1000 cfm, or about the same as a good T-quad and you are still stuck with a 6pk manifold, a simple adapter can fit a t-quad to just about any manifold.
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/21/10 10:25 PM

Quote:

They only flow 1300 if you flow them a 3.0 inches like 2bbls aree flowed. If you flow a 6pk at 1.5 like the 4bbls are then it will strugle to flow 1000 cfm, or about the same as a good T-quad and you are still stuck with a 6pk manifold, a simple adapter can fit a t-quad to just about any manifold.

HotRodDave has it right. According to the resident Mopar junky over at Hot Rod Magazine (David Freiburger,) in terms of 4-barrel air flow the mighty Six-Pack flowed closer to 975cfm because 2-barrel carbs are rated using different specs.

Throw on a street tuned Holley 950HP on an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and there you go...
Posted By: gdonovan

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/21/10 10:58 PM

Quote:

gets to be a pain to jet a t-quad when there are no aftermarket jets and rods. i have to scrounge for jets and drill them out on the lathe to get A/F ratio close.

As someone who has run both I'll take a TQ anyday.

I have two TQ strip kits on the shelf!
Posted By: quickd100

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 12:18 AM

Better selection for single 4 manifolds than six pack for starters. A properly setup thermoquad will deliver better fuel economy and more horsepower. Dave
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 12:52 AM

Better throttle response too.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 01:07 AM

Quote:

H-guy ....whatchootryintodo ... stir-up a bunchO Berri-Bumz HORNET's nest ?

I guess I woke you up from the DEAD!!
What's your take on this?

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 01:15 AM

My take ? .... I think I should make a TON of T-shirts proclaiming .....The ThermoSquad is alive and well !!

And from what I have seen and read ...Mayor Dave has done a ton-O-work of the TQ when it comes to a E85 conversion ...

I have not done much lately on TQ R&D and tweaking as he has .... we should get HIS TAKE ...and maybe Scott's.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 01:19 AM

Quote:

Good point to about, Dave! I was wondering why when you increase the cubes, especially 440 strokers, you get an abundance of
low to midrange torque and decent mileage (provided the cam, compression and ignition timing
are correct for the combo)in a middle weight chassis (B-body stripper model) with the six pack induction.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 01:25 AM

Quote:

My take ? .... I think I should make a TON of T-shirts proclaiming .....The ThermoSquad is alive and well !!

And from what I have seen and read ...Mayor Dave has done a ton-O-work of the TQ when it comes to a E85 conversion ...

I have not done much lately on TQ R&D and tweaking as he has .... we should get HIS TAKE ...and maybe Scott's.

Good food for !! That E85 fuel may be the
answer to the cost of cruising. Good input Doc,
I figured you to come up with a answer WITHOUT the
added sarcasm!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 01:38 AM

Quote:

Better selection for single 4 manifolds than six pack for starters. A properly setup thermoquad will deliver better fuel economy and more horsepower. Dave

Dave, comparing a six pack to a TQ setup, on a
stroker (440/500) built for dual purpose, which
would net a tractable, but powerful setup? Six
packs have been known to do well with bigger displacements, but I know there's a limit.
TQ's are very responsive, but have their parameters also. What do you think?

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 01:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

HotRodDave has it right. According to the resident Mopar junky over at Hot Rod Magazine (David Freiburger,) in terms of 4-barrel air flow the mighty Six-Pack flowed closer to 975cfm because 2-barrel carbs are rated using different specs.

Throw on a street tuned Holley 950HP on an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and there you go...

But being so close in airflow, would the six pack
have more flow capability upstairs? Due to the two extra venturis? Or not.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 02:33 AM

The TQ will give more mpg because it mixes the fuel better in the very small triple venturi primaries, it will also be more responsive but a 500 inch BB with any 950-1000 carb should be very responsive. The one thing you can do with the TQ is bolt basically the exact same carb on a stock 273 and still have a very responsive motor, 6 pack, not so much.

I think air flow "up top" would be the same, but if I was forced to pick one I would guess the TQ with it's sewer pipe sized secondaries would flow more. Also it comes back to the manifold selection, a big single plane can bolt right on under the TQ and have a big plenum feeding all 8 cylinders from all 4bbls, the 6pack, well I don't know of any single plane for them, probably some odd balls out there but not many.
Posted By: joewhite440

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 04:22 AM

I know the Thermoquad will get you better fuel mileage. I never messed with them two much for performance. I always ran Holleys on everything. I have a Six Pack on my 440. They run well but require more tuning. Why don't you like the big Holleys? Do they make a lot of internal parts, Jets etc for the TQ like the Holley?

Joe Sr
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 04:55 AM

Hmmmmm

Attached picture 6152286-ThermoquadBadge.jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 06:15 AM

Which carb(s) is better will be determined by the particular engine combo it's used on, every engine has different fuel needs. Keep in mind that carb cfm ratings are based on demand, most won't flow thier maximum advertised cfm unless under idealic circumstances. most carburetors flow much less than advertised during normal use.

If you've ever had trouble figuring out what CFM carb your engine might need the formula below can be helpful:

Multiply your engine's CID by the RPM of the engine,
Divide the number by 3,456. Multiply the quotient by your engine's VE (volumetric efficiency). VE is a measure of how efficiently your engine pumps air. Generally a stock engine has a VE of .8, a race engine should be valued as .9, multiply this value by 1.35 for the minimum cubic feet per minute (CFM) rating that your engine can use. The CFM rating is used to classify carburetors, based upon how much air will flow into a WOT carburetor. The reason your results must be multiplied by 1.35 is that most carburetors work in pulses, and as a result intake will often be slightly above or below its average rate. The 1.35 modifier ensures that your carburetor can handle your engine at its maximum output. You want a carb that is equal to or greater than your final answer.

Example, my engine: 340 Stroked to 426 cubes, max rpm 5,700rpm.

426 x 5,700 = 2428200

2428200 div/ 3456 = 702.604 x .9 = 632.343

632.343 x 1.35 = 853.66 cfm

This tells me that when my engine is at full song at 5,700 rpm it could need as much as 853cfm of flow to keep up with it. In my case an unmodified 800 cfm TQ may fall a bit short, but a 1,000 cfm TQ should do the trick with a bit of room to spare.

Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 06:45 AM

The 6-pack is a proven performance intake for hot street/strip cars. The tq can be a good carb, however there's a shortage of good spreadbore intakes out there. If you want a dual plane intake, forget it. Unless you want to run a spreadbore adapter which is a known power robber. I love the idea of spread bore carbs, just dislike the lack of aftermarket support for them. Tuning the primaries on the thermoquad is very easy. With a properly dialed in choke and primaries my thermoquad made my 440 an excellent daily driver. However the secondaries were a pain to keep in tune. Any temperature fluxuation and I had to tinker with that air door again.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 07:21 AM

Quote:

Any temperature fluxuation and I had to tinker with that air door again.

DOOR tinkering ...do it once ..and do-it correct ...with the RIGHT tool !

Attached picture 6152399-DocsTQtool.jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 08:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I never encountered a thermoquad that needed that tool. I know what it's for but I was always able to do it with a couple screwdrivers just fine.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 09:18 AM

...and doing it with the two-screwdrivers .. you [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]-up the lock-screw ...plus if the spring snaps-back ... it can DISlodge or can break....

This tool here is soooooo much BESTer than the Miller part ...it makes the people's heads spin ...

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 09:52 AM

I never had any issues. Get the lock screw at the right tension and the inner screw will stay put long enough to tune it, then tighten the lock screw. I'm sure the tool is handy, but a big flat screw driver of the correct size has always done me well.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 11:43 AM

Quote:

The 6-pack is a proven performance intake for hot street/strip cars.

Oh? Its a good looking setup hands down but there is a bit of hyperbole in your statment.

Its been shown time and time again the six-pack loses to a decent 4-bbl intake and carb. Back in the day there were no high cfm carbs which was the whole point of having 3 x 2bbls.

Today were flooded with a mutitude of 800-1000 cfm choices including the TQ which is still hanging in there.

Pity it is not in production anymore as the resin fuel bowls really do help in keeping the fuel from boiling out.

Quote:

The tq can be a good carb, however there's a shortage of good spreadbore intakes out there..

Turning your statment around I could argue there is a acute shortage of six-pack intakes!

Matter of fact there is what, two or three for each engine series? And 40 year old designs to boot. There is a number of spreadbore intakes, including newer designs from Mopar Performance.

Quote:

However the secondaries were a pain to keep in tune. Any temperature fluxuation and I had to tinker with that air door again.

Can't say I ever had that problem and I ran my GTX with an O2 sensor and K&N monitor (back in the 80's!) so it was easy to keep tabs on the fuel mixture and get it dialed in fast.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 03:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The 6-pack is a proven performance intake for hot street/strip cars.

Oh? Its a good looking setup hands down but there is a bit of hyperbole in your statment

Its been shown time and time again the six-pack loses to a decent 4-bbl intake and carb. Back in the day there were no high cfm carbs which was the whole point of having 3 x 2bbls.

shown by who?

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 03:09 PM

Quote:

shown by who?

How about Mopar Muscle for staters?

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techa...akes/index.html

I can find several dyno intake shootouts showing the six-pack being bested by a 4-bbl, can you do the same?

Thought not.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 03:11 PM

bla bla bal, if the T-quad was/is so great somebody would re-pop it and make a mint. It's a good carb, I oved my T-quad 440, but a well tuned six-pack (and you have to tune any carb) will out run the T-quad. and they won't melt if you should have a good back fire or carb fire.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 03:17 PM

Quote:

bla bla bal, if the T-quad was/is so great somebody would re-pop it and make a mint.

Tooling cost my man, tooling costs.

I'm sure Edelbrock looked into it since they have already turned out both AFB and AVS clones.

Quote:

It's a good carb, I oved my T-quad 440, but a well tuned six-pack (and you have to tune any carb) will out run the T-quad.

Prove it.

Hey the six pack looks great and if thats what floats your boat then go for it.

Posted By: pinkduster

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 03:21 PM

I'd like to see some of the F.A.S.T. guys comment on this topic. What are some of those A12s running?
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 03:21 PM

F1Scamp Just conducted a test. Seems his new thermoquad car can't run with his six pack car despite them having the same engine. So he swapped the six pack on to his 71 340 Duster and ran it at the track. The car picked up 3 mph over the TQ. Now there was a elevation differance of about 2000 ft but that doesn't equal 3 mph. Keep in mind the TQ intake is all tricked out and the Pack is stock.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 03:24 PM

Prove it.

1st I'll have to find somebody at the track that uses one....But I'd be happy to entertain the challenge. I'd even run a few runs w/ the 6-pack and swap intakes and carbs. Hey I like them, but I just don't think they work as well as a 6-pack or a good DP for that matter. And yes if all I cared about was et, I would have went w/ a Perf RPM and a 850-900 DP carb.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 03:30 PM

Quote:

F1Scamp Just conducted a test. Seems his new thermoquad car can't run with his six pack car. So he swapped the six pack on to his 71 340 Duster and ran it at the track. The car picked up 3 mph over the TQ. Now there was a elevation differance of about 2000 ft but that doesn't equal 3 mph. Keep in mind the TQ intake is all tricked out and the Pack is stock.

In general I would guess the same results but would also bet on a close race either way. That being said, I don't think the above comparison is really fair to either setup, to do a real scientific experiment you need to eliminate as many variables as possible to prove a hypothosis.

A dyno test (track test on a car being second choice due to other variables with the car, track and weather) done on the same day with both setups being 100% stock (carbs and intakes) being the only variables as a baseline, then start experimenting with one change at a time and rechecking the results, that's about the only way to really reach any real conclusions IMO. Comparing a modified setup to a stock setup isn't fair in either direction since some modifications may actually hurt performance.

Quote:

bla bla bal, if the T-quad was/is so great somebody would re-pop it and make a mint. It's a good carb, I oved my T-quad 440, but a well tuned six-pack (and you have to tune any carb) will out run the T-quad. and they won't melt if you should have a good back fire or carb fire.

You'd have to have one hell of an engine fire to melt a TQ body, I think allot of those "My TQ melted" stories are highly exaggerated, they are made of a heat resistant RIM injection molded copolymer, it's actually pretty hard to melt it short of using a blow torch on it.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 03:53 PM

So how many power valves do you have to replace on a six pack after a backfire?

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 04:04 PM

Quote:

In general I would guess the same results but would also bet on a close race either way.

Oh no doubt, a well tuned setup is in the 15-20 hp range.

Aside from the HP difference I also value simplicity, (fewer things to go wrong) and ease of tuning.

From those 3 standpoints alone 6-pack loses.

For looks its had to beat a six-pack or dual quad setup though

Quote:

That being said, I don't think the above comparison is really fair to either setup, to do a real scientific experiment you need to eliminate as many variables as possible to prove a hypothosis.

Which is also a good point, if I'm going to drop $1500-$2500 a induction setup I'd like some hardcore proof its faster than what I'm already running.

"Someones brother said" isn't going to cut it.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 04:10 PM

"You'd have to have one hell of an engine fire to melt a TQ body, I think allot of those "My TQ melted" stories are highly exaggerated, they are made of a heat resistant RIM injection molded copolymer, it's actually pretty hard to melt it short of using a blow torch on it"

I loved my TQ on my old 440 charger. Unfortunitly I let my bor use it while I was over seas, He loaded it up and it backfired, Don't know how he did it but the carb never worked after that. I even rebuilt it and had a pro take a stab at it.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 04:17 PM

Quote:

He loaded it up and it backfired, Don't know how he did it but the carb never worked after that. I even rebuilt it and had a pro take a stab at it.

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Attached picture 6152675-Spicoli.jpg
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 04:34 PM

Quote:

Only one just like any other old holley out there...And if it's backfiring your not getting fuel mileage or performance tuned like that !!! ...I'll take the 6 pack thank you...I can show you the good gas mileage I get right up to the point where the other two carbs come in... ..

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 04:34 PM

Hey Scott, Here's the thing... Chrysler thinks its 15hp better, NHRA thinks its 14hp better and some guy I know thinks his car doesn't go as fast with a thermoquad. How is that for scientific?

Welcome to the world of the completly obvious.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 04:42 PM

Tom, you and your friends have a ton of real world on track experience, no doubt, you get my full respect, and I'm not saying you are wrong or right, as I mentioned I would tend to agree that in the end a Six Pack would probably edge the TQ. However, so far have not seen any valid real world proof (controlled dyno or track testing as I described) supporting it either way, including the example you used.

Chryslers ratings were often manipulated in the name of marketing or the insurance industry, and as far as the NHRA goes, I don't agree with MANY of their factors.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 04:45 PM

Quote:

Hey Scott, Here's the thing... Chrysler thinks its 15hp better, NHRA thinks its 14hp better and some guy I know thinks his car doesn't go as fast with a thermoquad. How is that for scientific?

Question- 15hp better than what, the stock cast iron 340/440 intakes?

Why yes, then you would be correct.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 05:07 PM

I mean come on this....

Attached picture 6152726-termo.jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 05:08 PM

vs. This???? I mean this has got to be worth at least 20hp on looks alone...lol

Attached picture 6152727-eng1.jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 05:14 PM

Well, since we are going on looks alone I think this one is the clear winner

Attached picture 6152735-67HemiEngineDetails.jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 05:17 PM

If need be I'll be happy to prove it. I'll have a new car coming out soon that I think would be the perfect test bed. It's a 72 400 Charger,TQ equipt of course. I'd have no problem swapping a pack on at the track,I own the parts. The car doesn't have fresh air so that wouldn't be a factor. I have the ability to set the A/F ratio in either setup to the other. I'm well versed in both setups. Its 8 bolts to me Sounds like fun

I'd be willing to bet on the pack by about 3 mph. If someone out there has a B engine spreadbore dual plane aftermarket intake I could borrow I bet we could close in on the pack.

We could always toss a TQ on the Bee I'm sure that would slow it right down. I would have to see if I have any 440 TQ manifolds.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 05:19 PM

Quote:

You win...

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 05:22 PM

Good idea Tom! I can give you a 440 TQ intake if you need one, I'm pissed at it anyway, stubbed my toe on the turd the other day

Quote:

If someone out there has a B engine spreadbore dual plane aftermarket intake I could borrow I bet we could close in on the pack.

I concur on that theory for sure.

*Wanna try using one of my freshly restored 1000 CFM CS TQ's? No mods just a stock rebuild.
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 06:02 PM

Since this is a question and answer forum, doesn't economy vs performance come into play. There are a lot of 4 barrel cars out the and not very many 6 pak cars. I will be replacing my Holley 750 DP with a Thermoquad. I'll bet I get much better gas mileage and more power(faster) at the strip. I have already tried the race on an engine dyno and the car was a pig at the strip. I changed cams, put on a dual plane spread bore manifold, took out the 4.30's and put in 3.23's. I realize now that a big part of my problem is a 410 stroker with Diamond rectangular port aluminum w2's. No torque down low. I'll let you know after I go to Sacrmento in September. Top gun dragstrip @ 4000' won't tell me much. The car ran 13.54 @100 mph at Top Gun in June. It didn't even start to run until 330'

Attached picture 6152803-P1010002.jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 06:44 PM

Quote:

Speaks for itself!!

Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 06:52 PM

I have ran 2 440s with the Edelbrock dual quad package. 2 500 cfm carbs with a 1 to 1 linkage. Great great and GREAT performance and looks! I know it not a mopar OEM offering but it is an era correct hi po set up. Its about half the price of a sixpack and easier/less expensive to tune. Id LOVE to see a shootout between the Six Pack and the Edelbrock CH28 with 2 4bbls.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 07:11 PM

Quote:

I have ran 2 440s with the Edelbrock dual quad package. 2 500 cfm carbs with a 1 to 1 linkage. Great great and GREAT performance and looks! I know it not a mopar OEM offering but it is an era correct hi po set up. Its about half the price of a sixpack and easier/less expensive to tune. Id LOVE to see a shootout between the Six Pack and the Edelbrock CH28 with 2 4bbls.

They (Chrysler) did offer a 2-4bbl inline setup
for the RB motor in the late 50's - early 60's.
The EDDY piece you have is a good design, lightweight and WITHOUT core shift (very little restriction in airflow). The shootout would awesome - try all three!!

Posted By: HPMike

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 07:15 PM

The 6 pack is better. Period.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 07:21 PM

Quote:

Since this is a question and answer forum, doesn't economy vs performance come into play. There are a lot of 4 barrel cars out the and not very many 6 pak cars. I will be replacing my Holley 750 DP with a Thermoquad. I'll bet I get much better gas mileage and more power(faster) at the strip. I have already tried the race on an engine dyno and the car was a pig at the strip. I changed cams, put on a dual plane spread bore manifold, took out the 4.30's and put in 3.23's. I realize now that a big part of my problem is a 410 stroker with Diamond rectangular port aluminum w2's. No torque down low. I'll let you know after I go to Sacrmento in September. Top gun dragstrip @ 4000' won't tell me much. The car ran 13.54 @100 mph at Top Gun in June. It didn't even start to run until 330'

Would you up the gear to 3.90 for a comprimise with the TQ. 3.23's may be a bit too high, I could be
wrong, since I don't know how high your torque
band is and converter's stall speed if an automatic.

Posted By: wyotech_cuda440

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 07:43 PM

I have no experience with a tq, but I cant complain about my 6pack, it just runs good. I have used a performer rpm airgap with a carter avs- I wasn't too impressed, then I went to the sixpack on a Weiand/mopar crossram- it ran a hell of a lot better, but didn't really pull below 3k. Then I swapped to a factory sixpack manifold, low end came back strong, but it did lose a bit up top.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 08:10 PM

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_0712_mopar_intake_manifold_comparo/index.html

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_0801_mopar_intake_manifolds/index.html
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 08:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

shown by who?

How about Mopar Muscle for staters?

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techa...akes/index.html

I can find several dyno intake shootouts showing the six-pack being bested by a 4-bbl, can you do the same?

Thought not.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 08:17 PM

Quote:

If need be I'll be happy to prove it. I'll have a new car coming out soon that I think would be the perfect test bed. It's a 72 400 Charger,TQ equipt of course. I'd have no problem swapping a pack on at the track,I own the parts. The car doesn't have fresh air so that wouldn't be a factor. I have the ability to set the A/F ratio in either setup to the other. I'm well versed in both setups. Its 8 bolts to me Sounds like fun

I'd be willing to bet on the pack by about 3 mph. If someone out there has a B engine spreadbore dual plane aftermarket intake I could borrow I bet we could close in on the pack.

We could always toss a TQ on the Bee I'm sure that would slow it right down. I would have to see if I have any 440 TQ manifolds.

i would think that you would have to have the 850 cfm t-quad, with the choke, and rod over the secondarys removed so it would cfm around 900, then you would need to drill primary jets around .101 and sec to at least .157, sqirter would have to be drilled to at least .033. Then you might be close to the 6 pac

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 08:22 PM

another problem with no aftermarket support is you would have to drill out the seat they are only .093 in the rebuild kits, don't want to starve the motor on the big end!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 09:34 PM

Quote:

dude that hing is going to be a PIG w/ 3.23's you ran 13's before get ready for 14's ... at least you won't need a helmet

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 09:42 PM

Quote:

...and doing it with the two-screwdrivers .. you [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean]-up the lock-screw ...plus if the spring snaps-back ... it can DISlodge or can break....

This tool here is soooooo much BESTer than the Miller part ...it makes the people's heads spin ...

Wasssupy ? .. LOL

B.u.g.g.e.r.e.d - up gets an EDIT ?

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 09:47 PM

Quote:

dude that hing is going to be a PIG w/ 3.23's you ran 13's before get ready for 14's ... at least you won't need a helmet

Hay Y-guy .... watch what choo say

I am running mid-12's ...with a 2.76 gear ... ....
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/22/10 09:51 PM

Quote:

one..the end carbs do not have power valves in them...

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/23/10 12:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Wasssupy ? .. LOL

B.u.g.g.e.r.e.d - up gets an EDIT ?

C'mon Doc!! We all know what you wanted to say!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/23/10 12:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

one..the end carbs do not have power valves in them...

The end carbs have metering plates in them, OR you can upgrade it to Quick Fuel's type
with screw-in jets.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/23/10 12:31 AM

Quote:

How is the powerband and mileage with those 500's?

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/23/10 12:35 AM

who cares about mpg? It's a 4 4 o! and if you go 2x4's do it right and get a set of holleys.
No idea but if I had to bet 2x500 eddys vs a 6-pack, I'll bet on the 6-pack. Now a set of DP's and a good 2x4 intake I'll take the twin holleys

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/23/10 12:58 AM

Quote:

who cares about mpg? It's a 4 4 o! and if you go 2x4's do it right and get a set of holleys.
No idea but if I had to bet 2x500 eddys vs a 6-pack, I'll bet on the 6-pack. Now a set of DP's and a good 2x4 intake I'll take the twin holleys

As it was explained beforehand, it's about VOLUMETRIC EFFICIENCY (thanks Scott for the great
tech on it! - ). Whether street,
race or in-between motor, it's about the VE. Build
power efficiently!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/23/10 01:24 AM

Well I can't tell you exactly when it will happen but I'm going to settle this question. Right now my dyno mule 440 is not in good enough shape to start comparing induction systems on a level playing field. You may or may not remember I bought a 2000hp Land & Sea engine dyno. I don't care how many hours it takes, I'm not paying for dyno time. Once things quit down around here I'll do the tests and and post all the results. Let the chips fall where they may. Dave

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/23/10 01:39 AM

Quote:

Well I can't tell you exactly when it will happen but I'm going to settle this question. Right now my dyno mule 440 is not in good enough shape to start comparing induction systems on a level playing field. You may or may not remember I bought a 2000hp Land & Sea engine dyno. I don't care how many hours it takes, I'm not paying for dyno time. Once things quit down around here I'll do the tests and and post all the results. Let the chips fall where they may. Dave

Thanks Dave, keep us posted!!

Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/23/10 02:09 AM

The car was a 1970 Challenger. The 440 was an old school build- TRW flat top pistons. (On paper rated at 10:1) The heads were 452s with a valve job only. No port work or even gasket matching. The cam was a Mopar 509. Old 3000rpm B&M converter, reverse man 727 and 4:10 rears. Hooker comp headers and 3 chamber Flowmasters (Hey it was 1995-they were the hot thing) I drove it to the strip and ran 12.80s. Dont know if Holleys would have been better but as a package the edelbrock system works great and is much more affordable than a six pack. Power was flawless from idle up to 6 grand. Mileage was about 10 mles per gallon. I could have ran 600cfm carbs but went with the 500s as this car was nearly all street. Im not saying the edlbrock set up is the best. For a multi carb set up it works great, looks great, has easy/affordable parts availability and costs MUCH less than a sixpack.
Quote:

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/23/10 03:05 AM

THIS is the solution for the CFM advantage those pig-rich Berri Crabs have over the Plastic Fantastic !

YOU SEE how happy this guy is ....

Attached picture 6153771-TQtr.jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/23/10 03:18 AM

Quote:

THIS is the solution for the CFM advantage those pig-rich Berri Crabs have over the Plastic Fantastic !

YOU SEE how happy this guy is ....

I would be happy with just ONE of those on a high rise intake. Why be GREEDY. They aren't AFB's!! Man-o-live!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/27/10 01:09 AM

Quote:

I have no experience with a tq, but I cant complain about my 6pack, it just runs good. I have used a performer rpm airgap with a carter avs- I wasn't too impressed, then I went to the sixpack on a Weiand/mopar crossram- it ran a hell of a lot better, but didn't really pull below 3k. Then I swapped to a factory sixpack manifold, low end came back strong, but it did lose a bit up top.

Why the crossram did that is because of the passages. They were tuned for 2.5k to about 6.5k.
The factory manifold is tuned for off-idle to 5.5k. Big difference!! The crossram needed gears
around 3.90 and up. The factory manifold would be comfortable with gears from 3.55 to 4.10
before rejetting for bigger gears.

Posted By: wyotech_cuda440

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/27/10 02:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Why the crossram did that is because of the passages. They were tuned for 2.5k to about 6.5k.
The factory manifold is tuned for off-idle to 5.5k. Big difference!! The crossram needed gears
around 3.90 and up. The factory manifold would be comfortable with gears from 3.55 to 4.10
before rejetting for bigger gears.

I knew that when I swapped. I would have kept the weiand, but I couldn't clear the hood with the air cleaner on. BTW, I have 4.56's and 29" tires, and the weiand has all of the old "tricks" done to it, the carbs have been worked as well. The car ran 10.9's in the late 80's/early 90's on DOT tires. Now it's on street duty, but I'm workin on a new engine that should put me in mid-low 11's on pump gas, with no issues on the street.
Posted By: quick77rt

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/27/10 04:18 AM

Great topic, and another ?

Which is a better manifold, the BB six pack or the small block manifold itself.

My slightly modified sb likes 7k max, ive run it to 7600 but it seems to fall of at 7.

Good Vid...pretty mild combo but the six pack works well..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxsguEwUgew

As far as stock for stock in the early 80s two friends, one had a very much stock 69 340/4 speed 3.91 Dart. Another an AAR Stock auto with 3.55s.

I know of no mods on the aar, the only thing we could tell on the dart was it had the big plastic spreadbore on it and it must of been lean as it got run hard and when running top end blasts you could eat a plug strap.

No getting back to the cars...I would say out of about 10 runs over a couple year period it was always the dart by a car length weather from a dead stop or a slow roll. stick/3.91 vs auto/3.55.

Both the aar and the dart were good running stockers and even in the early 80-s matching numbers, NOS, fender tags, never entered our minds just two cars on a country road doing what they were built to do...and them were some fun times.

Ive never run a tricked out T quad, but im leaning to one on a stock manifold/in a stroker motor in a driver project im working on.

I hate to ask the cost of a good 1000cfm unit, but then again it would still be cheaper then the full SP setup.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 08/28/10 03:11 PM

Quote:

My slightly modified sb likes 7k max, ive run it to 7600 but it seems to fall of at 7.

As far as stock for stock in the early 80s two friends, one had a very much stock 69 340/4 speed 3.91 Dart. Another an AAR Stock auto with 3.55s.

I know of no mods on the aar, the only thing we could tell on the dart was it had the big plastic spreadbore on it and it must of been lean as it got run hard and when running top end blasts you could eat a plug strap.

No getting back to the cars...I would say out of about 10 runs over a couple year period it was always the dart by a car length weather from a dead stop or a slow roll. stick/3.91 vs auto/3.55.

Both the aar and the dart were good running stockers and even in the early 80-s matching numbers, NOS, fender tags, never entered our minds just two cars on a country road doing what they were built to do...and them were some fun times.

Ive never run a tricked out T quad, but im leaning to one on a stock manifold/in a stroker motor in a driver project im working on.

I hate to ask the cost of a good 1000cfm unit, but then again it would still be cheaper then the full SP setup.

That would be an interesting topic! I think that the AAR was lacking in the gear department to run
EVEN with the Dart. The AAR might have had close
to 200 pounds extra weight to run with. Maybe the
combo of these factors could have been corrected
and the race would have been even, who knows. It
goes back to airflow, and how efficiently the motor breathes!! Seems like the stick/TQ combo
had a slight advantage over the auto/sixpack setup. Had the AAR ran 3.91's also, things would have been REALLY interesting!!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 12:22 AM

Quote:

A GOOD 1000 cfm TQ setup would be equivalent to
the factory six pack setup, engine depending (cubes, compression, cam timing, exhaust tuning
and ignition setup/timing). The cost may be on a sliding scale depending on the engine also!! Either one you can,t go wrong!! Thanks for the
input, fellow members!! You have given me food for thought!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 12:30 AM

Hyper ..... put DOWN that fattie and step-back from that keyboard ....and "eat" some of that food-for-thought !!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 03:38 AM

Quote:

Hyper ..... put DOWN that fattie and step-back from that keyboard ....and "eat" some of that food-for-thought !!

Mediators please step in at any time!! I have ZERO tolerance for the sarcasm OR stupidity.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 03:44 AM

Quote:

If this is the thoughts and professionalism of a
Thermoquad expert, no wonder why so many members RUN HOLLEYS!! Scott Smith you've got my vote.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 05:27 AM

Oh Hyper ...

TAKE a chill-pill !! ...

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 05:43 AM

They are addicting to a few of us these T-quads, I need a banana tool to adjust these bad boys. E-mail Doc??

Attached picture 6193209-022(1280x853).jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 06:52 AM

Damn a-guy ... those sure are nice-lookin-PlasticFantastics !..

Email coming at-cha' !!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 06:54 AM

six pack will only open the outboards either too fast, to slow, or just what the engine needs (ie not fully open), depending on the spring.

thermobogs put all four blades on end when you firewall it, and the air valve open fairly fast without the dreaded "bog".. as long as a wanna be tuner never touched it.

so my vote goes to the T-bog.

YAY!
Posted By: broncobra

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 02:50 PM

As far as looks go, the ONLY thing that looks better than a TQ is a Hilborn setup.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 03:06 PM

I am a very firm belelver in the T-Quad, I love them and I put them on everything but even I have to admit, they are THE ugliest carb EVER made!

I think the Holley HP carbs look the best but I can never get them to run right and they sure drink gas too.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 03:09 PM

Quote:

six pack will only open the outboards either too fast, to slow, or just what the engine needs (ie not fully open), depending on the spring.

thermobogs put all four blades on end when you firewall it, and the air valve open fairly fast without the dreaded "bog".. as long as a wanna be tuner never touched it.

YAY!

I've run both. Both will bog and both will not open fully if they are not set-up. It has nothing to do with the equipment it has to do with the operator. AND I CAN SAY that when the outboards open on a 6-pack it's WAAAAAAY more of a kick in thattail than when the 2ndaries on a TQ open. Not even close.
Posted By: broncobra

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 03:28 PM

Quote:

I am a very firm belelver in the T-Quad, I love them and I put them on everything but even I have to admit, they are THE ugliest carb EVER made!

I think the Holley HP carbs look the best but I can never get them to run right and they sure drink gas too.

I may be wacky, but I have a TQ sitting on a Holley Street Dominator that will be going on a stroked 400, sitting on a table in my bedroom. The TQ is a beautiful work of art. It is the first thing I see when I get up and the last thing I see when I sack out. To help inspire me to get things done. Plus it fits in with my scheme of aluminum and black for the engine, with black AN fittings and SS braided hose. Won't get it sent to DemonSizzler until I get the engine specs worked out, though. At least I didn't roll the wheels and tires in here, they are out in the kitchen where they belong. lol.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 03:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

YAY!

I've run both. Both will bog and both will not open fully if they are not set-up. It has nothing to do with the equipment it has to do with the operator. AND I CAN SAY that when the outboards open on a 6-pack it's WAAAAAAY more of a kick in thattail than when the 2ndaries on a TQ open. Not even close.

well I've driven BOTH and I can tell you that the T-bog gives WAAAAAAY more of a kick in the A$$ then the six pack. Not even MEGAclose.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 04:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

YAY!

well I've driven BOTH and I can tell you that the T-bog gives WAAAAAAY more of a kick in the A$$ then the six pack. Not even MEGAclose.

six pack must not have been setup right. Never seen a t-quad outrun 1 holley at the track let alone 3 of them.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 04:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

YAY!

six pack must not have been setup right. Never seen a t-quad outrun 1 holley at the track let alone 3 of them.

ha! obviously you don't get out much,,,
wanna be t-bog tuners always crack me up..
unwind the spring.. hell take it out THATS GOTTA be better LMAO.
I'll put my butt ugly t-bog up against a 6-pakshaquer anytime.

but the 1/24th of a keg does look GOOOOD siting on an engine.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 04:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

YAY!

Thats an intelligent statment a lot of the buick guys use them in place of the QJ for more flow on the 455 http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?t=168155
Posted By: cogen80

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 05:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

where do you get one of those tools?

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 05:58 PM

Henry ...email coming at-cha !

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 06:16 PM

Henry .. you will have to email me ... the one I sent to you bounced-back to me ...
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 06:17 PM

I love this thread, love hearing the TQuads doing so well.
I have loved them for so many years, little bit of time in and you get so much out.
The 71 Challenger T/A was going to be a Thermoquad,
the engineers got it so we had the best of both worlds.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 06:20 PM

Quote:

Thats an intelligent statment a lot of the buick guys use them in place of the QJ for more flow on the 455

Oh yeah .. the Buick guyz love 'em !!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 08:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Thats an intelligent statment a lot of the buick guys use them in place of the QJ for more flow on the 455

Oh yeah .. the Buick guyz love 'em !!

that's because they don't have 6-packs for buicks...lol
Posted By: hemigod426

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/13/10 11:27 PM

t-bogs were great on 440 cop cars, but for 1/4 mile its 440 six pack all the way. one reason port volume of intake/cfm flow, and throttle response of holly will spank a t-bog. for spread bore stock type single 4bbl intake t-bog is the best carb. the 1971 340s went the fastest ever with them on stock setups. but for racing or hot street car you dont see a guy putting a t-bog with adaptor on sigle plane m-1 intake....

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/14/10 12:10 AM

So is my small block six pack opening too soon or too late?? All six are wide open at launch.

Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/14/10 01:09 AM

Quote:

but for racing or hot street car you dont see a guy putting a t-bog with adaptor on sigle plane m-1 intake....

I have....It ran great!
Posted By: @#$%&*!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/14/10 01:39 AM

Quote:

...but for racing or hot street car you dont see a guy putting a t-bog with adaptor on sigle plane m-1 intake....

No you don't, because the M1 is Thermoquad ready, no adapter needed! The same is true of the Street Dominator.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/14/10 02:31 AM

a lot of the buick guys use them in place of the QJ for more flow on the 455

Well, I CAN say firsthand that they DO WORK on
Buick engines. Had a 70' 225 (I appologize members)with a 455 that I converted to GS specs,
put a 850? TQ (rejetted 440 version) on it and it
RAN HARD. Couldn't keep my right foot out of the tank!! Pretty good carb, but I still like my multiple carbs. No offense!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/14/10 06:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

...but for racing or hot street car you dont see a guy putting a t-bog with adaptor on sigle plane m-1 intake....

No you don't, because the M1 is Thermoquad ready, no adapter needed! The same is true of the Street Dominator.

Heres the Holley street dominator with my 910cfm t-quad. Also like the sound of the big secondary air doors slamming shut when i let off of WOT!!

Attached picture 6195183-party046(640x480).jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/18/10 04:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Heres the Holley street dominator with my 910cfm t-quad. Also like the sound of the big secondary air doors slamming shut when i let off of WOT!!

Makes an EVEN BETTER sound opening up thru the gears!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/18/10 04:49 AM

Makes an EVEN BETTER sound opening up thru the gears!! Even better when the doors slap shut...Huh???

So a T quad closes between shifts?....instead of how nice they sound running, or letting off with the doors slapping shut, how about a pic with sound=vid??? vs a pic with comments???
Posted By: CurYellowBird

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/18/10 09:14 AM

Not to steal the thread from the OP, but if you guys had a choice, would you choose a stock holley with vac secondaries or a T-quad?

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/18/10 09:22 AM

Ferrr yurr viewing enjoyment .....

SEE how happy this HEMI is .... with a pair of Plastic-Fantastics on it ? ....

(I was cleaning-out my desktop and found this pic)

Attached picture 6202529-TQsonHemi.jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/18/10 11:09 AM

Quote:

That's an old picture from under the hood of my wreck. Since that was taken I now have 2 140gph pumps, 1/2" fuel line all the way to the regulator, very large inline filter. The carbs will flow 900cfm+ each. The whole shoot'n match will be going on my dyno this winter for some tweaking.
It really runs nice on the street with this setup. Acceptable mileage and enough power to smoke the tires at 60-70 mph. Dave
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/18/10 11:22 AM

Quote:

Oh BOY!.......TWINS!!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/18/10 01:30 PM

Quote:

Not to steal the thread from the OP, but if you guys had a choice, would you choose a stock holley with vac secondaries or a T-quad?

stock holley? like the small vacuum units they used? Or a nice 750vacuum or bigger?

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/18/10 03:35 PM

I tried both a 770 street avenger and an 850 t-quad on my 318 mpg motor and the t-quad killed it in gas miledge, they both felt about the same driving them but the t-quad sounded incredible so my vote goes for t-quad.
Posted By: CurYellowBird

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/18/10 05:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

stock holley? like the small vacuum units they used? Or a nice 750vacuum or bigger?

Yes I'm referring to the small vacuum units that came on most of our cars stock. I have no idea how well they work since I haven't had any experience with them.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/18/10 07:30 PM

Wow, so many different questions all mixed up into one thread!

Speaking of 440's there is zero question that the 6 pack far outperforms the factory 4bbl setup. I'm sure this has more to do with the manifold than the carbs.
Someone linked the hotrod intake articles (ironically trying to make the opposite point, I believe) which shows that the sixpack setup does quite well indeed compared to AFTERMARKET 4bbl intakes and carbs at the 450hp level.....at some point that would change but if we're talking about stock to stock it's a no-brainer.

I suspect the small block 6 pack edge is a little smaller due to a better 4bbl intake....anyway, Tom would know so I'm gonna believe him on this one.

There is a reason why A12's do so well in PS, and it sits on top of the motor.

Dave

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/18/10 07:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes I'm referring to the small vacuum units that came on most of our cars stock. I have no idea how well they work since I haven't had any experience with them.

I'd think the t-q could give your more performace since the holleys are about 625cfm or smaller.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/19/10 04:37 AM

Quote:

Doc, that is a MEAN set of T-Q's on that HEMI!!
Is that car a low 11-high ten second piece!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/19/10 04:44 AM

Quote:

Makes an EVEN BETTER sound opening up thru the gears!! Even better when the doors slap shut...Huh???

So a T quad closes between shifts?....instead of how nice they sound running, or letting off with the doors slapping shut, how about a pic with sound=vid??? vs a pic with comments???

Try one on your motor and have firsthand witness!!
No YouTube or magazine link. You will
feel what it does and how well it runs!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 09/19/10 04:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That's an old picture from under the hood of my wreck. Since that was taken I now have 2 140gph pumps, 1/2" fuel line all the way to the regulator, very large inline filter. The carbs will flow 900cfm+ each. The whole shoot'n match will be going on my dyno this winter for some tweaking.
It really runs nice on the street with this setup. Acceptable mileage and enough power to smoke the tires at 60-70 mph. Dave

Good setup Dave. Love the multiple carbs, even
better since they aren't Holleys. Definitely
something different!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/17/10 08:03 PM

What would be more advantageous on a hi-riser (tunnel ram) two TQ's, two 660's or a FLOWED
six pack setup (old weiand or EDDY str hi-rise)?
We are talking hi-end bracket motors, small OR big
block (12.0-hi 10's).

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/17/10 09:14 PM

Just thinking about this makes me feel like I'm cheating

Attached picture 6255062-CompetitionThermoquadsonShortRam413.jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/17/10 09:30 PM

Is the 340 six pack still the one to beat in F.A.S.T. i thought a t-quad 340 ran a 11.45?

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/18/10 12:55 AM

Quote:

Scott, I LIKE!
Dave

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/18/10 03:36 AM

Quote:

Anyone have a spare napkin or handkerchiff?

Posted By: Cuda54

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/18/10 03:39 AM

Let see what will come back out? We will take the 3 holley two barrels a qj into a bucket of carb cleaner. We will keep them in there for a day or so. Then we will put them back on and start them up. Then we will see who has a carb. I love my 3 holleys on my 525hp 440 auto in my 1972 Cuda.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/18/10 04:10 AM

Quote:

Let see what will come back out? We will take the 3 holley two barrels a qj into a bucket of carb cleaner. We will keep them in there for a day or so. Then we will put them back on and start them up. Then we will see who has a carb. I love my 3 holleys on my 525hp 440 auto in my 1972 Cuda.

Carb cleaner disolves Quadrajets? News to me

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/18/10 05:13 AM

Quote:

QJ? Mopar engine?
3 Holleys (six pack)? Mopar engine?
TQ? Mopar engine?

Posted By: moparx

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/19/10 02:30 AM

Quote:

scott, are you thinking of using adapter plates, or hogging out the manifold plenums to run the thermoquads ?

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/19/10 02:52 AM

Adapters, no way I'd hack on those Short Rams

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/19/10 03:00 AM

Quote:

SHORT rams ? ... .... show me some LONGer ones than that !!

And BTW ... I worked at a shop that had some trick salvage Mopar parts before I went into the service .....

They used those intakes to hold TARPS down on the outside !! They probably had THREE HUNDRED of those

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/19/10 03:04 AM

Just for you Doc

Attached picture 6257418-LongvsShortRamsComparison(2).jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/19/10 03:10 AM

And of course, the "Shortest" Short Ram.

Attached picture 6257429-63MaxWedge.jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/19/10 03:14 AM

Shortest that is unless you count aftermarket and small blocks

Attached picture 6257434-STR-12a.jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/19/10 03:21 AM

Hay Scott .... I see some diffs in them ... but WHY the diff castings ? ... and what IS the length diff ...if any?

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/19/10 04:25 AM

Doc the runner lengths are the same but the DIVIDING WALL between them only goes about halfway down on the Short Rams, so, short wall = "Short Ram" full length (long) dividing wall = "Long Ram".

The shorter dividing wall effectively moves the peak torque about 1,000 rpms upward. Niether intake is a drag strip terror, but no slouch either with the right combo, real torque monsters even stock.

Stock Long Ram peak torque is at 2,800 rpm, the stock Short Ram is 3,800 rpm.

Of course if you want to have the king of all "Packs" you'll need a Navarro "Sixteen Pack"

Navarro Quad Quad Cross Ram for your viewing pleasure

Attached picture 6257575-NavarroMaxWedgeQuadQuad.jpg

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/19/10 04:29 AM

Quote:

Hay Scott .... I see some diffs in them ... but WHY the diff castings ? ... and what IS the length diff ...if any?

Doc, I do remember the LONG Ram was measured at
nearly 21" in length. The SHORT Ram was measured
almost the same in length. The LONG Ram was tuned for the 2500-3500rpm (peak torque) range, while the SHORT Ram was tuned for the 3500-4000rpm (peak
torque) range. A BIG difference the divider makes in power!! The Crossram, (SHORTY Ram) 15" in length, 5000-5500rpm (peak torque)

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/19/10 04:31 AM

Hyper, those measurements were inside individual runner lengths. That's why it gets confusing as the outside CASTING lengths are the same Long or Short Ram.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/19/10 04:40 AM

Quote:

Hyper, those measurements were inside individual runner lengths. That's why it gets confusing as the outside CASTING lengths are the same Long or Short Ram.

Thanks Scott, I stand corrected by both you and my archives!! Forgot COMPLETELY about the inner dividing walls! Old age I guess!!

Posted By: Mr340

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/19/10 02:24 PM

Quote:

Of course if you want to have the king of all "Packs" you'll need a Navarro "Sixteen Pack"

Hmmm I wonder if 4 TQ's would fit?????????

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/19/10 02:34 PM

Quote:

I was wondering that too It appears that they just might.

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/20/10 12:24 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I was wondering that too It appears that they just might.

If the AFB's fits, SURELY the TQ's can be made to fit also!! Where is that pioneering spirit!!

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/20/10 12:28 AM

Quote:

Doc the runner lengths are the same but the DIVIDING WALL between them only goes about halfway down on the Short Rams, so, short wall = "Short Ram" full length (long) dividing wall = "Long Ram".

The shorter dividing wall effectively moves the peak torque about 1,000 rpms upward. Niether intake is a drag strip terror, but no slouch either with the right combo, real torque monsters even stock.

Stock Long Ram peak torque is at 2,800 rpm, the stock Short Ram is 3,800 rpm.

Excuse me for a second, I GOT to EMPTY my drool
pan!!

Posted By: moparx

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/21/10 02:17 AM

Quote:

oops. forgot those were the shortys[of the longys]! i would use adapters too.......

Re: Thermoquad vs. Six Pack/Six Barrel. Which is best ? - 10/24/10 08:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

oops. forgot those were the shortys[of the longys]! i would use adapters too.......

Adapters would work!! Just take the time to "blend" the contours carefully to the bottom of the TQ. Wouldn't hurt anything, including power
output.

© 2024 Moparts Forums