Moparts

Vacuum Leak

Posted By: Hotlumpy

Vacuum Leak - 08/19/10 10:43 PM

Alright, I have tried spraying Carb Cleaner around the intake & Carb, does anyone have any more tricks for finding Vacuum Leaks? How about the most likely or unlikely places you have had them?
Posted By: repad

Re: Vacuum Leak - 08/19/10 10:48 PM

I recently had a vacuum leak at the carb throttle shaft.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Vacuum Leak - 08/20/10 01:47 AM

At idle might run some propane in thru the PCV hose and see how it affects the eng. Not sure if it'll speed it up or down if it's lean from a leak but kickin out ideas & someone will know if it'll help you or not
Posted By: kilroy

Re: Vacuum Leak - 08/20/10 02:55 AM

If your talking about BB I couldnt get my carb to act right (acted like a vaccum leak) sprayed carb clean around intake and carb but I couldn't find it either. Took off intake sprayed head and intake sealing surface with copper coat and reinstalled car runs better than it has in a long time and carb acts right. Point is I couldnt find it (possibly under intake from cam valley?) but I recleaned and resealed intake tract and took car of it. You may have to put the elbow work in.
Posted By: Carsavior

Re: Vacuum Leak - 08/20/10 03:40 AM

I had a guy brought me a 69 Camaro once, ran fine under power but missed at idle. He had thrown everything but the kitchen sink at it. I told him it was a vacuum leak, but he argued that he had replaced the carb base gasket and the intake gasket. Its still a vacuum leak I told him. Pulled the intake back off, looked inside it, and found the leak. Someone had used a bolt that was too long to hold the coil bracket on the intake, and made a nice hole under the bolt. After putting some sealer on the bolt and putting it all back together, it ran good. (As good as a 69 Camaro will run, anyways)
Posted By: Hotlumpy

Re: Vacuum Leak - 08/20/10 09:39 PM

I found a pretty signifigant leak at the secondaries throttle shaft. The holley tech guy said there is always a small leak there that is acceptable (50 rpm raise from a shot of Carb cleaner. When I dowsed it, it killed my engine so I am thinking about a new base plate. Thanks for all the ideas, love to hear some more about pesky vacuum leaks!!
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Vacuum Leak - 08/21/10 03:19 AM

#1 on your hit parade should be vacuum lines - including PCV and brake booster. Plug them off one at a time and see if the "HG#'s go up.

Re: Vacuum Leak - 08/21/10 03:21 AM

I have been told the same thing that the secondary shaft is often times loose enough to leak but does not cause a problem.

Re: Vacuum Leak - 08/21/10 03:24 AM

Surely, you or a friend have another carb that you could swap to test. I would offer if you were nearer than a few thousand miles.
© 2024 Moparts Forums