Moparts

New clutch and big snap and now nothing

Posted By: 79machocharger

New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/19/10 02:36 PM

Just had a new clutch kit installed into my 70 challenger yesterday and this morning while driving it I got on to it a little and snap, then grinding. Pulled over and took the dust cover off and I cant see any thing or any broken pieces. I thought maybe the fork came off the throw out bearing but it doesnt feel like it. This is a over the counter clutch kit at Car Quest. I never used one of these before but I would asume it would hold up a little better then this. I guess I probably should of went with Center Force like I usually do.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/19/10 03:04 PM

Maybe you cracked the plate?,......spend the money on a SACHS or LUK set-up

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/19/10 03:08 PM

who sells these?
Posted By: Twostick

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/19/10 03:15 PM

Probably sheared the hub out of the disc if you didn't break anything in the trans or diff. The last time I had one go bang and then nothing I put it in gear and the drive shaft turned but the wheels didn't .

Kevin
Posted By: Swiss_Robert

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/19/10 04:15 PM

What exactly do you mean by "grinding"?

The fork cannot come off - not really. The plate that was mentioned - would be the friction plate.

You'll have to disassemble to know the truth...

(I have a new clutch in my own 1970 Challenger - and, well, that sounds interesting to me. Didn't know that this ever can happen... I have Centreforce in, hope this lasts longer. Hope that YOU are the one of 10'000 guys that makes this happen once in hundred years.)

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/19/10 04:34 PM

Yours should be fine, my clutch was cheap. We had it in the garage and never used it so I thought I would try it in mine. I paid $180.00 for it and I should spent a little more for a better one. The crapy part is I paid $200.00 for the garage next door to put it in and now that's money down the drain. I've been so busy working 12 hours day I didnt have time to do it my self.
Posted By: ademon

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/19/10 04:45 PM

i got a LUK from Pep boys $180 works great behind my mild 383 RR maybe putting out 345hp. Did you find out what the problem is?

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/19/10 07:20 PM

Just went and picked the car up and dropped it off at the garage that put it in. There looking it over right now. I called Car Quest and asked if they would cover the install fee and they said nope. They wouldn't even give me cash back and only give me another piece of junk clutch. Like I want to put another one of those in it.
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/19/10 08:48 PM

Might have broke the fork pivit stand that bolts on the bell housing.
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/19/10 08:50 PM

Quote:

Probably sheared the hub out of the disc if you didn't break anything in the trans or diff. The last time I had one go bang and then nothing I put it in gear and the drive shaft turned but the wheels didn't .

Kevin

Sounds about right. Also i would be there when they drop the tranmission. They olnly times i see a hub snap with low miles is when somehting was misaligned last time i changed one out the tranmission shop had the engine wire harness wedge between the block and bell housing cause a misalignment and the hub to fail.

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/19/10 09:05 PM

They almost have it back out, so well see very soon. Also went onto the Carquest web site and they have a section for labor refund request so it looks like I might not be out another $200.00.
Posted By: HitIt

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/19/10 10:02 PM

Quote:

Might have broke the fork pivit stand that bolts on the bell housing.

Z bars can snap at the welded arms too. Check that.
Posted By: wyotech_cuda440

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/19/10 11:43 PM

Quote:

Just went and picked the car up and dropped it off at the garage that put it in. There looking it over right now. I called Car Quest and asked if they would cover the install fee and they said nope. They wouldn't even give me cash back and only give me another piece of junk clutch. Like I want to put another one of those in it.

Damn, that sucks man, I hope you get it paid for. I would take the free clutch and sell it on ebay to get some of your money back.

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/20/10 12:00 AM

Took the clutch out and it looks fine? Could it be my tranny or rear end? It kind of moves on flat ground with some grinding sounds but will not go up any inclines.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/20/10 12:44 AM

Certainly an uncommon thing BUT I'm thinking the input shaft has snapped. Although it could be something as simple as the gears not fully engaging in the box. The grinding certainly won't be doing anything any good though!
Posted By: hemigod426

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/20/10 12:58 AM

ill guess in trans case for sure and more towards the tail shaft, pull side cover shift it by hand inside,while spining imput shaft to see where the damage is
Posted By: HPMike

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/20/10 01:09 AM

I gotta ask....

A shop is hired to work on the car(install a new clutch), then takes the clutch down for nothing. Do they have the capability to figure out the problem or are they just doing what you tell them to do?

Maybe you need a new mechanic

MB
Posted By: ademon

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/20/10 02:04 AM

Repair shop now on the sh*t list ! car quest off.

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/20/10 04:27 AM

Repair shop now on the sh*t list ! car quest off

LOL, I would of sworn it would had been the clutch as the car ran perfect except for the lack of clutch before. A day after the new clutch was put in it's hard not to think it wasnt the clutch. I had a slight vibration before this happend this morning when I down shifted into second gear. I was thinking maybe my clutch wasnt adjusted just right, now I'm kind of thinking maybe it was my rearend or tranny? Maybe now that the clutch is really grabbing good it might have done it in. I think I'll just have them leave the tranny out of it and I'll fix it later when I have time. Thanks for all the input guys really appreicate the help I'm done sinking any more money into it for a while.
Posted By: therocks

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/20/10 03:34 PM

If it kind of moves but grinds Id say trans or rear.With the drive shaft out the rear should be easy.Just try turning the yoke and see if the wheels turn or if it makes noise.Sounds like you broke something.Same with the trans.Put it in gear and see if the output shaft turns or if it makes noise.Rocky

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/20/10 04:33 PM

Rear end looks to be good as I grabbed the tire to hold it still and he tried turning the yoke and he couldnt. Another thing that we just noticed was that the bolts that hold the clutch to the fly wheel look to have fresh grind marks on them. Looks like the friction plate was bouncing around and hit them? This could of been previous damage as the old preasure plate was worn down alot.

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/20/10 05:06 PM

Could have I done any thing to the springs in the clutch? Maybe if it wasnt adjusted just right? None of the springs look broke and it's still pretty hard to push down the three fingers?
Posted By: 4BBodies

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/20/10 06:06 PM

Check the trans, if you put it in gear and the input shaft spins when you hold the output shaft, the input shaft/gear is toast. Happened on a Muncie I had, the previous owner described the same exact syptoms. It ended up having no teeth left on the input shaft gear, after a nasty launch. Easy to check, good luck to you.

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/20/10 07:04 PM

Quote:

If it kind of moves but grinds Id say trans or rear.With the drive shaft out the rear should be easy.Just try turning the yoke and see if the wheels turn or if it makes noise.Sounds like you broke something.Same with the trans.Put it in gear and see if the output shaft turns or if it makes noise.Rocky

I did this and they spun nice and smooth. Maybe it needs a load before it will do it. When I drove it after this happend if I went really slow it wouldnt make the grinding sound it's only when I gave it alittle more gas it would do it.

Re: New clutch and big snap and now nothing - 08/25/10 03:47 PM

For all those that thought it was the rear end you were right(lol). I just thought since every thing was fine before the clutch install it was the clutch. I'm fine with the whole deal as I now have a better clutch set up in my car. I'm going to use the rear out of my project challenger t/a untill my original one is fixed. Mine had 3:23's and the t/a has 3:55's which should be alot more fun any way .
The funny thing is we drained the fluid in the rear to see if we could see any metal peices and we saw nothing. I also tried turning the wheels while holding the pinion and we couldn't. I also checked in and out play at the tires and pinion and none, alittle at the tires but normal. Just wanted to say thanks for all the help
© 2024 Moparts Forums