Moparts

Any advantage to running mostly antifreeze?

Posted By: PAULS_340

Any advantage to running mostly antifreeze? - 08/14/10 01:22 AM

Rather than 50/50 is there any advantage to have mostly antifreeze or is there any danger?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Any advantage to running mostly antifreeze? - 08/14/10 01:27 AM

NO , 50/50 MAX, more antifreeze is not a good thing .
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Any advantage to running mostly antifreeze? - 08/14/10 01:38 AM

Running more than 50/50 AF will hinder the cooling .... the BESTest is ZERO AF ...with something like water-wetter.
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: Any advantage to running mostly antifreeze? - 08/14/10 01:46 AM

And if you go to the track, they will kick you for having antifreeze in the system. Watch pinks all out when somebody looses it on the track. They get a year ban from the track.
Posted By: Baxter61

Re: Any advantage to running mostly antifreeze? - 08/14/10 01:49 AM

Quote:

And if you go to the track, they will kick you for having antifreeze in the system. Watch pinks all out when somebody looses it on the track. They get a year ban from the track.

dont watch pinks all out no matter the reason!
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Any advantage to running mostly antifreeze? - 08/14/10 01:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

dont watch pinks all out no matter the reason!

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Any advantage to running mostly antifreeze? - 08/14/10 01:54 AM

Quote:

Rather than 50/50 is there any advantage to have mostly antifreeze or is there any danger?

(1)No advantage (2) 50/50 protects a system to -35F below zero and more than 50/50 or 70/30 (cant remember which but iirc it's 70/30) the freezing point starts to rise . What Doc Fiberglass said ANY antifreeze hinders heat transfer and if your having a marginal cooling issue (& everything is fixed/changed that should be) then some antirust additive in the water w no antifreeze would be the way to go and water wetter may have rust inhibitors (I'm not sure). I haven't used any type of water wetter so I cant comment but the theory sounds valid
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Any advantage to running mostly antifreeze? - 08/14/10 04:25 AM

Quote:

rust inhibitors

Roger that ....and you should use some something to "lube" the water pump.
Posted By: 360view

Re: Any advantage to running mostly antifreeze? - 08/14/10 12:27 PM

The Evans NPG coolant
is high ninety percent propylene Glygol, along with additives that make it different than the more conventional 'Sierra' antifreeze.

I have run it in a 360 for nearly ten years.

It does allow running temperatures up to 360 degrees F.

I have not seen any reduction in detonation, as claimed for getting rid of the 'nucleate boiling' which is just a fancy name for little steam bubbles.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Any advantage to running mostly antifreeze? - 08/14/10 03:03 PM

And remember,if you buy 50/50 pre mix you are buying a half gallon of anti-freeze and a half gallon of water.
Posted By: 70Challengerse

Re: Any advantage to running mostly antifreeze? - 08/15/10 01:42 AM

Quote:

And remember,if you buy 50/50 pre mix you are buying a half gallon of anti-freeze and a half gallon of water.

and usually more.....
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Any advantage to running mostly antifreeze? - 08/15/10 04:18 AM

No advantage and a lot of disadvantages.
© 2024 Moparts Forums