Moparts

Mancini timing chain cover small block

Posted By: 74_360_Cuda

Mancini timing chain cover small block - 08/10/10 05:38 AM

I have ordered a timing chain cover from Mancini, not the Mopar but the Mancini version. Quality appears to be OK at first glence. I was wondering if any of you have used it and if you were happy with it?

I have noticed that there is no more shoulder to install the seal, I guess it is to allow replacement from the front side. I was wondering if the seal could get pushed out by crankcase / oil pressure since there is no more hard stop?

Is the new Mopar cover built the same way? Mancini 4 digit P/N are the same as the last 4 digit of Mopar P/N and I was wonderinf if the casting is the same? On some picture I found the Mopar cover appears to have 3 holes arround the seal, what are those for? Also, it appears that the space between the water pump and the cover is reduced???

I am just wondering if I should use the Mancini cover or not...
Posted By: wireweld

Re: Mancini timing chain cover small block - 08/10/10 11:18 AM

I used it on my sb and had no problems with sealing or anything else. Had to clean some flashing out but nothing else.

Re: Mancini timing chain cover small block - 08/10/10 11:05 PM

Quote:

I used it on my sb and had no problems with sealing or anything else. Had to clean some flashing out but nothing else.

Thanks for the info, did you just drive the seal flush to the fwd face? Have you used sealant or anything?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Mancini timing chain cover small block - 08/10/10 11:45 PM

At some point the OEM timing cover was setup the same way. My 65 has a lip, my 87 doesn't.
Posted By: GO_Fish

Re: Mancini timing chain cover small block - 08/11/10 01:26 AM

Yes, in the 80's they went to the outside mounted front seal, permits you to change the seal without pulling the front of the motor off. There is a lip down in the bore, IIRC, the seal will bottom out on the lip before the front of the seal can get flush with the cover. Flush = damaged seal. Just put some RTV around the bore before you install the new seal, and it should stay put until you take it out.

Re: Mancini timing chain cover small block - 08/11/10 02:28 AM

Quote:

Yes, in the 80's they went to the outside mounted front seal, permits you to change the seal without pulling the front of the motor off. There is a lip down in the bore, IIRC, the seal will bottom out on the lip before the front of the seal can get flush with the cover. Flush = damaged seal. Just put some RTV around the bore before you install the new seal, and it should stay put until you take it out.

No lip in the bore on the Mancinin version... should I slightly recess the seal into the bore then?
Posted By: scamper340

Re: Mancini timing chain cover small block - 08/20/10 08:25 AM

Did you ever find any more information on this? I'm in the same boat, bought a Mancini timing cover with no lip.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Mancini timing chain cover small block - 08/20/10 08:35 AM

Late model seal has a front flange to set the depth..

Re: Mancini timing chain cover small block - 09/23/10 01:11 PM

I've just put it flush without problems.

I had to hand file a lot's of material to make the cover flush with the bottom of the block but so far no leak from the front seal so I guess the allignement with the crankshaft is ok...
© 2024 Moparts Forums