Moparts

anyone running a third brake light??

Posted By: AK_JH27

anyone running a third brake light?? - 08/06/10 07:15 PM

Thinking about adding one to my charger just to add a little more awareness of me stopping. My car kinda sits low all around and with most of the newer trucks, they sit pretty high, we have a ton of them here. that they might not see my taillights in traffic.

any aftermarket setups out there?
Posted By: Kirby

Re: anyone running a third brake light?? - 08/06/10 07:20 PM

I "frenched" one in the bottom of my go-wing on my 71 Cuda'- 14" LED- wired to my brake switch.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: anyone running a third brake light?? - 08/06/10 07:22 PM

I don't think you could lose installing one. I plan to. So many people text and talk on the cell phone while driving. Rearend accidents are the #1 most common. I plan to just run one of those single row LED strips so that it's low profile. Sure would be cool to mold one into my go-wing...
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: anyone running a third brake light?? - 08/06/10 07:33 PM

yes they are available

DON'T wire it from tail lights itself since will be working with turning and hazzards. Wire it directly from pedal switch

BTW a guy what I know inserted a third stop light into the deck lid rear face, above trunk cilinder. On a 73 Charger. Doesn't look bad at all! I wouldn't do it, but does look nice

Of course, needs a body job

Re: anyone running a third brake light?? - 08/06/10 07:44 PM

thanks for all the advice. I plan on installing it just inside the rear glass near the top.
Posted By: dOOc

Re: anyone running a third brake light?? - 08/06/10 07:45 PM

GOOD idea ... they make some nice-ones with LED's now I hear. And good point about wiring it into the brake pedal directly.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: anyone running a third brake light?? - 08/06/10 08:07 PM

i use this:

http://www.brakeflasher.com/brake.htm
Posted By: boydsdodge

Re: anyone running a third brake light?? - 08/06/10 09:01 PM

Cool
Posted By: dOOc

Re: anyone running a third brake light?? - 08/06/10 09:28 PM

Quote:

i use this:

http://www.brakeflasher.com/brake.htm

NEAT idea ... but almost 70 bux ?? ...
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: anyone running a third brake light?? - 08/06/10 10:56 PM

Out of a '92 (IIRC) Maxima. Bottom trimmed for height and angle. Painted to to match, as best as possible, the dark green interior. Mounted on a flat piece of sheet metal that slides under the the bottom of the lower inside window trim, between the trim and package tray trim. The sheet metal is covered with leftover headliner material for extra thickness and to match.

I posted a thread many moons ago. Probably still out there somewhere.

Wire runs directly from brake light switch for proper operation. Only downside is incandescent bulb, which is not as fast as LED.

Attached picture 6126493-Third_brake_light_1.jpg
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: anyone running a third brake light?? - 08/06/10 10:58 PM

From outside...

Attached picture 6126494-Third_brake_light_4.jpg

Re: anyone running a third brake light?? - 08/06/10 11:05 PM

thats exactly what i'm looking to do. thanks
Posted By: DartGTDan

Re: anyone running a third brake light?? - 08/07/10 03:15 PM

I picked up a 3rd brake light from a boneyard 1986-1988 Chevrolet Corsica. I installed 6 LED guts from a boneyard 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Painted it satin/flat black. Will mount much like MoparMarq did (some day).
© 2024 Moparts Forums