Moparts

shot peening at home ?!?!

Posted By: Stanton

shot peening at home ?!?! - 08/04/10 04:02 AM

Think you could do shot peening with a run-of-the-mill blast cabinet (like the Harbor Freight siphon units)? The beads are only .007" so its not like the thing has to suck bb's up the line!
Thoughts ...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: shot peening at home ?!?! - 08/04/10 04:32 AM

I think with enough air pressure it should work and besides what's the worst that's going to happen...get plugged. Give it a try.

Re: shot peening at home ?!?! - 08/04/10 12:53 PM

I think the "worst" is wasting money on 50 pounds of shot. Since the stuff doesn't wear out its not something to easily resell.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: shot peening at home ?!?! - 08/04/10 01:14 PM

A shot blast cabinet isn't a sand blast cabinet persay so I can't really see how well it would work?
Posted By: moper

Re: shot peening at home ?!?! - 08/04/10 05:06 PM

Prob going to use a few nozzles tho. Tell use what happens....lol
Posted By: Commando1

Re: shot peening at home ?!?! - 08/04/10 08:43 PM

So, you have a Rockwell Hardness Tester to see if it works or not?
Posted By: Fury Fan

Re: shot peening at home ?!?! - 08/04/10 09:13 PM

I'd be skeptical that you'd have enough force to actually do compression on the surface, which is required to get any benefit.
Posted By: 474218

Re: shot peening at home ?!?! - 08/04/10 10:43 PM

Have you given any thought to "Roto Peening"?

More information: http://www.3m.com/product/information/Roto-Peen.html

Click on more information.
Posted By: pishta

Re: shot peening at home ?!?! - 08/04/10 11:48 PM

I would be a little skeptical on the outcome of that on the end of a hand drill> What is the operational RPM of those flapper wheels that would cause beneficial plastic deformation of the surface of the part? IF we are throwing around buzzwords, how about laser peening?
Posted By: 474218

Re: shot peening at home ?!?! - 08/05/10 12:54 AM

Quote:

I would be a little skeptical on the outcome of that on the end of a hand drill> What is the operational RPM of those flapper wheels that would cause beneficial plastic deformation of the surface of the part? IF we are throwing around buzzwords, how about laser peening?

Roto Peening is a standard repair, accomplished on high strength aircraft parts. If you looked at the second page you would have seen the strips that are use to determine proper saturation. In have done it numerious times and never had a problem.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: shot peening at home ?!?! - 08/05/10 01:02 AM

Works good. I have done it with my Harbor freight cabinet W/siphon gun.

Re: shot peening at home ?!?! - 08/05/10 02:30 AM

Quote:

Works good. I have done it with my Harbor freight cabinet W/siphon gun.

Where'd you find the shot ??

Roto-peening ... I've got a lot of stuff I'd like to do. It goes a lot faster in the cabinet.

I'm not planning to do it to alter the strength of the metal, only for the cosmetic finish - much like they do to alternator and starter casings when they're remanufactured. Sandblasting and glass beads are great for material removal but peening gives a much nicer finish.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: shot peening at home ?!?! - 08/05/10 04:36 AM

Been a while, but try www.tptools.com.
© 2024 Moparts Forums