Moparts

Front Brake Drum Removal

Posted By: bobs66440

Front Brake Drum Removal - 08/01/10 12:52 AM

Does anyone have an easy method for separating the front brake drum from the hub? I was able to get one but the other is stubborn.

Thanks, Bob
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Front Brake Drum Removal - 08/01/10 02:44 AM

You'd want to have your machine shop use their swedge cutter tool to remove the "swedge" at the base of the stud that holds it to the drum then it'll easily press out
Posted By: 1969RR

Re: Front Brake Drum Removal - 08/01/10 02:45 AM

Hello! Try dropping the drum assembly down flat on the floor from about waist high. Or, try a big "Dead-blow" hammer, or try a block of wood with a BFH...most work! Jeff
Posted By: bobs66440

Re: Front Brake Drum Removal - 08/02/10 02:28 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Front Brake Drum Removal - 08/02/10 04:15 PM

Be very careful on removing the drum if you want to save it, it is very easy to ruin them by not removing the swedges first I use a deep well socket under the wheel stud and a lug nut on the stud and then drive them out, I don't own or know anyone with a swedge cutter, maybe I should buy one now that those old drums are getting harder to find the left sides on the early cars with left hand threads on the driver sides seem to be the worst ones to get off
Posted By: therocks

Re: Front Brake Drum Removal - 08/02/10 05:46 PM

Most good machine shops have the cutter.We also had the tool to swedge the drums back on at work before.Ive seen the hubs bend also because people tried to hammer the studs out.Droppimg the drum I doubt very much would get the hub to pop off unless they were removed before.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums