Moparts

440 timing

Posted By: bigblockbryan

440 timing - 07/31/10 06:21 PM

should i time my 440 with a light and what were is peak performance on a 440.10.1. comp 484 cam alummium intake dual plane intake and 750 carb thanks.bryan
Posted By: Commando1

Re: 440 timing - 07/31/10 07:17 PM

You need a timing light AND a vacuum gauge.
A book on how to do a tune-up wouldn't hurt either.
Get these first and then we'll lead you through the process.
Posted By: MikeyT

Re: 440 timing - 07/31/10 07:27 PM

I use a dial back light and have been able to find that mine likes about 17 initial with a total of 38, similar 440.

Yet, like people stated on here, it would be good to get a nice tuning book.

Mike
Posted By: Commando1

Re: 440 timing - 07/31/10 07:34 PM

Quote:

I use a dial back light and have been able to find that mine likes about 17 initial with a total of 38, similar 440. Mike

If the lad is asking on whether he should use a timing light, he has no idea WTH you are talking about.

I'm just going to sit back and watch the zillion replies telling him all about advanced tuning theory before he even has the tools.

Re: 440 timing - 07/31/10 08:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I use a dial back light and have been able to find that mine likes about 17 initial with a total of 38, similar 440. Mike

If the lad is asking on whether he should use a timing light, he has no idea WTH you are talking about.

I'm just going to sit back and watch the zillion replies telling him all about advanced tuning theory before he even has the tools.

LOL ok, good point. I got excited to help out and jumped ahead. A good timing light can be picked up from sears for around 45 bucks and a vaccum guage is a must to set it right.

Of course if your somewhere near Madison Wisconsin, I could you these tools until you get them and show you how to set it and get it running nice!

Mike
Posted By: Polaraco

Re: 440 timing - 08/01/10 12:05 AM

Quote:

You need a timing light AND a vacuum gauge.
A book on how to do a tune-up wouldn't hurt either.
Get these first and then we'll lead you through the process.

Black Sheep. . . .

Re: 440 timing - 08/01/10 01:40 AM

yes i will buy a gauge and a light also i forgot to mention im running only 2 inch exaust. wich is probably most of the problem so next weekend i will be pulling it off and building a 3 inch for it.
Posted By: rexus31

Re: 440 timing - 08/01/10 01:50 AM

Quote:

yes i will buy a gauge and a light also i forgot to mention im running only 2 inch exaust. wich is probably most of the problem so next weekend i will be pulling it off and building a 3 inch for it.

What does the exhaust tube diameter have to do with timing the motor?

Re: 440 timing - 08/01/10 01:57 AM

well i can get it really close by ear and it sounds great then when i take it out run it it it doesnt seem like it performs correcty. there is were the restictive exaust comes in also i should have rejetted the carb when i threw the pipes on too im just thinking hey once in my life i will try a light on it
Posted By: rexus31

Re: 440 timing - 08/01/10 05:06 AM

Quote:

well i can get it really close by ear and it sounds great then when i take it out run it it it doesnt seem like it performs correcty. there is were the restictive exaust comes in also i should have rejetted the carb when i threw the pipes on too im just thinking hey once in my life i will try a light on it

Unbelievable. You can't time a motor by ear.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 440 timing - 08/01/10 05:26 AM

Quote:

Unbelievable. You can't time a motor by ear.

Sounds right versus is right can be totally different. What a lot of guys don't realize is that a distributor is a lot like a carb, it NEEDS to be tuned for your application. If you're just slapping one on and going, you are leaving performance on the table. A distributor needs a correct advance curve for your motor, one of the other posters got into this a little bit a few posts up. If that's right over your head don't just ignore it, because without a properly dialed in distributor your motor will not reach its peak performance or driveability.

Re: 440 timing - 08/01/10 06:42 AM

yea i relize this so getting a tune up book some mentioned earlier.Is there anyone thats better then the other im planing on getting a light and gauge later this week.then do some thrashing again next weekend
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 440 timing - 08/01/10 05:00 PM

get a dial back light. they ain't as accurate as a good basic Sears non dialback unit cause the delay is based on time and different harmonic balancers of different makes are different and they sure ain't calibrated at their factory for Mopar 7&1/4" dia balancers but they're good within 1 degree (mine was) & that's pretty good and supposedly MSD's play havoc w them but they are SO much fun to play with. Disregard the above information overload and get a fairly good one & have fun

Re: 440 timing - 08/01/10 07:20 PM

Here is a way to read vaccum gauges! I thought it was extremely helpful.

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

mike

Re: 440 timing - 08/06/10 07:45 AM

bought a timing light at sears gonna try and figure it out it was there digital once have access to a annalog also
© 2024 Moparts Forums