Moparts

Modern wiper motor interchangability?

Posted By: moparman383

Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/30/10 01:28 AM

Ok, this is kind of a weird question I know, but I hate the old wiper motors, and was wondering if anyone knew an alternative (hint hint, a cheap one) that I could use on my 71 Challenger. I don't care about originality, I just want something I can go grab off the shelf at my local auto parts dealer that will work better than original. I realize I will have to have a switch that allows for enough speed settings.

This may be just a pipe dream, but I wanted to see what kind of feedback I got.

Thanks.

Brad
Posted By: closer9

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/30/10 02:05 AM

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/30/10 02:09 AM

I agree. I thought surely someone here would have done this to their cars by now, but maybe they are the type of people who rig things up and don't use the internet? lol
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/30/10 02:15 AM

Maybe it isn't worth all the cobbling necessary.

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/30/10 02:19 AM

Quote:

Maybe it isn't worth all the cobbling necessary.

True. I was wondering if it would be a direct swap or take some work. Just kinda curious and figured this crowd would know.
Posted By: GregCon

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/30/10 02:20 AM

I doubt a modern motor is any better. Lighter perhaps, but not better.

But considering you can buy a cheap rebuilt unit still, why bother with the cobbling?

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/30/10 02:38 AM

Ok, so if going with an original, where does everyone recommend buying one?
Posted By: ahy

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/30/10 03:15 AM

Jules the "wiperman" is a great source. He is a member. I got a "variable speed" from him. Driving through a cloud burst a few weeks ago I appreciated it.
Posted By: Evil Monkey

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/30/10 07:58 AM

I would think that finding a modern wiper motor that would fit the firewall hole, connect to the wiper linkage, sweep the wipers correctly across the windshield, and park correctly, would be a longshot at best. I've never looked into it, so maybe there is something out there that would work without too much cutting and cobbling, but unless someone else has done it and knows what will work, it could be a long, long search trying to find one that works.

I'm sure it could be done, but I would think it would take lots of cutting, cobbling, some redesigning, and a whole lot of swear words to make a modern motor work, and it really wouldn't be worth the effort.
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/30/10 11:40 AM

Anything is possible but like EvilMonkey just said, it will be lots of work.
Today`s motors are much smaller so just hooking them up would be a task.
I have never done one nor had a client request one.
I would just go with original.
Jules
Posted By: JulesdaWiperman

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/30/10 11:41 AM

Quote:

Ok, this is kind of a weird question I know, but I hate the old wiper motors, and was wondering if anyone knew an alternative (hint hint, a cheap one) that I could use on my 71 Challenger. I don't care about originality, I just want something I can go grab off the shelf at my local auto parts dealer that will work better than original. I realize I will have to have a switch that allows for enough speed settings.

This may be just a pipe dream, but I wanted to see what kind of feedback I got.

Thanks.

Brad

What is it exactly that you hate about them ?

Jules

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/30/10 10:49 PM

Every old mopar I've ever rode in just had really sucky wipers. I was just curious if this would work, I know there are guys who swap out other parts from modern cars on their muscle cars so I thought I'd ask.

Now, for an original style wiper motor, I could care less about it being correct, tags, numbers, color, any of that stuff. I just need a CHEAP, quick wiper motor to throw on so i can drive it to the Nats. Sorry Jules, I would buy from you but you're stuff is kinda pricey for my budget. I called Advance and Auto Zone and neither carry them. I couldn't find one on Mancini either. That's about as far as my search has gone right now.

Thanks everyone.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/31/10 12:34 AM

I thought the 2 speed motors were only about 50 bucks from the chain stores. Cardone brand maybe???

You may be wanting 3 speed so
Posted By: racincuda

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 07/31/10 02:05 AM

I would like the intermintent settings that you get with newer cars & trucks but hav no idea how to make that work with these old two & 3 speed motors.
Im not electricaly creative
Posted By: ConcoursCreation

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 08/04/10 10:51 PM

There is a direct bolt on that will fit the hole in your firewall.
I have also always toyed with the idea.
Just find a:
1976-1989 Plymouth Volare, Dodge Aspen, Chrysler LeBaron, Dodge Diplomat, Plymouth Gran Fury, Town & Country, New Yorker, or Fifth Avenue.
Some of them came with intermittent wiper systems.
They look like the early 2 speed motors but have 1 extra terminals on the motor where the harness plugs into it.
Of course you will need the switch, delay control box/harness and I would say the connector that goes on the back of the wiper switch itself.
With that said....I think the only "bolt In" part is going to be the wiper motor.
Link connecting your 2 wiper arm pivots should be fine but the one going to the drivers side pivot from the wiper will almost for sure have to be modified.
As for a wiper motor crank.....this is why I think the link connecting to it will have to be modified but maybe not....they came with the plastic press in bushings.
I'm almost sure that there is a bronze bushing style crank that will work but never have gotten around to trying all the different ones I have.
I will try and dig some pics up.
Hope this helps
Jerry
Posted By: closer9

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 08/05/10 01:41 AM

Quote:

Just find a:
1976-1989 Plymouth Volare, Dodge Aspen, Chrysler LeBaron, Dodge Diplomat, Plymouth Gran Fury, Town & Country, New Yorker, or Fifth Avenue.
They look like the early 2 speed motors but have 1 extra terminals on the motor where the harness plugs into it.
Of course you will need the switch, delay control box/harness and I would say the connector that goes on the back of the wiper switch itself.
With that said....I think the only "bolt In" part is going to be the wiper motor.
Link connecting your 2 wiper arm pivots should be fine but the one going to the drivers side pivot from the wiper will almost for sure have to be modified.
As for a wiper motor crank.....this is why I think the link connecting to it will have to be modified but maybe not....they came with the plastic press in bushings.
I'm almost sure that there is a bronze bushing style crank that will work but never have gotten around to trying all the different ones I have.
Hope this helps
Jerry

Interesting. I will have to play around with this. I will be parting out a 5th Ave, and had wondered about the wiper motor/switch.
Posted By: Waveraider

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 08/05/10 03:51 AM

Is it for the Challenger, or the Gremlin?

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 08/05/10 12:57 PM

Quote:

Interesting. I will have to play around with this. I will be parting out a 5th Ave, and had wondered about the wiper motor/switch.

There are are non intermittent motors on those models also......it was an option.
Posted By: rjsjea

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 08/06/10 11:30 PM

I paid for this setup to be done after I smoothed out the firewall. It took several hours for a high end fabricator to do

Motor is mounted under the dash, using modified factory arms, mounted to an under dash cage bar. Motor is from a Ford Ranger.

So to answer the OP's question, yes it can be done, cheap however is a relative term

Attached picture 6126556-100_1223.JPG
Posted By: rjsjea

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 08/06/10 11:33 PM

Another pic

Attached picture 6126562-100_1224.JPG
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 08/07/10 06:15 AM

Quote:

Every old mopar I've ever rode in just had really sucky wipers.

Is this a wiperblade problem or the action?

I think the biggest challenge here will be the park feature.
Posted By: 9 Sec Phill

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 08/07/10 06:42 PM

If I remember right the intrepids have a one piece assembly that looks like it would be able to bolt under the dash. Is made of aluminum cast and has motor and pivits all as one unit. Im not sure of the distance betweent the pivots though...Phill

Attached picture 6127755-3.jpg

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 08/09/10 01:14 PM

Sorry so long posting a pic but life kinda took over lol.
Here is a pic of the motor. From the factory they were plated yellow zinc like a Little Red Express Truck.

Attached picture 6130627-MoparDelayWiperMotor_1.JPG
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Modern wiper motor interchangability? - 08/10/10 05:25 AM

Quote:

Just find a:
Hope this helps
Jerry

I pulled this complete delay wiper system from a junkyard 80's rwd chrysler 5th ave. The wiper motor bolts right in where the old 2-speed wiper motor in my 74 satellite was. That part is a straight drop in. I didn't look closely at the output end of the motor, but worse case scenario is I have to transfer the output shaft lever from my 2-sp wiper motor over to the 5th ave wiper motor. The one downside to this system I can see is my satellite originally has concealed wipers that have a park position that's further down on the windshield than the normal wiper sweep position. I imagine after this conversion is done they will no longer park down where they should, however mine never parked properly anyway because my plastic wiper cam has a piece cracked off which I never did get around to repairing.

Also, the twist dial delay wiper controls on the signal lever will NOT fit inside a 70's stock steering column. The 5th ave had a bulge in the steering column to accomodate the large delay wiper switch that sits at the base of the signal lever, inside the steering column. To get around this, I grabbed a dash mounted delay wiper switch off of a late 70's dodge ram van. I figure this leaves me two options, I can either use the ram van wiper switch and fit it into my dash somehow or I can mod the signal lever mounted delay wiper switch into my dash panel and make it fit exactly where my stock dial type wiper control was. I could even jb weld my old wiper control knob onto it so it will look 100% stock. The only real nagging issue I forsee as being a bit annoying is the wiper park issue because the donor car does not have concealed wipers. I also have one of those universal aftermarket type delay wiper add-on boxes. I could also try getting that to work with a 2-sp wiper motor but not sure if the concealed wiper type motor triggers a ground pin each time it passes by its park position or if that's only activated when the wiper controls are set to the off position.
© 2024 Moparts Forums