Moparts

Hot start trouble?

Posted By: studiocranium

Hot start trouble? - 08/17/08 07:31 AM

Howdy, folks! I recently purchased a '72 Fury with 440, and I'm hoping someone can help me figure out why it doesn't like to start once it's warm. It cranks just fine, but I have to hold the pedal to the floor and crank it excessively, like it's flooded. I've had three different carburetors on it (for various reasons) with no change at all- so I'm assuming this is a timing or ignition problem? The car recently had a tune-up with new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, and coil. Any ideas? My best guess so far is that the new coil is getting hot? Or maybe the ballast resistor? Thanks!

-Andrew
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Hot start trouble? - 08/17/08 01:08 PM

at that point with key on jump the starter relay(large stud to brown wire) w coil wire 1/4" from metal or have helper crank the ign to narrow it down if ign or fuel.
Posted By: 69Cuda340S

Re: Hot start trouble? - 08/17/08 01:24 PM

Most likely its fuel peculation due to todays fuel mixtures. The fuel evaporates very quickly and this is a problem for carburetor equipped cars. I put one of these gaskets on and it has pretty much eliminated the evaporation:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail...mp;autoview=sku

I was really surprised how well it worked. I'd also switch it a 180 degree thermostat if you haven't already. And block the heat cross overs on the intake manifold helps too.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Hot start trouble? - 08/17/08 01:36 PM

yes that was my 1st thought until I got to the part where he tried 3 carbs but you know if the heated intake is real hot(& they for sure can be) he could have a dozen diff carbs on there & they'd all be percolating.
© 2024 Moparts Forums