Moparts

440 Oil Leaks

Posted By: KryslerKid

440 Oil Leaks - 07/23/10 06:04 AM

I have an old problem being valve cover leakage. It's mostly the right rear bank, #8 cylinder area. I yanked off the MP silver wrinkle covers w/the best gasket Mancini had & even tried a factory cover with a new compostite FelPro gasket, still leaks, all surfaces clean. Any suggestions? Also, one that Ive never seen before, oil is coming out of the distributor hold down bolt, bolt hole. It's sneaking out past the bolt. I've tired several correct bolts from other 440's, same thing. I've had this motor for 13 years and it just started doing this. Any help would be great! My nickname in the car club is now DripPan!
Posted By: 340SHORTY

Re: 440 Oil Leaks - 07/23/10 08:07 AM

Hi Drip Pan

do you suppose your engine is worn to the point that blowby is helping to push the oil out?
Posted By: wingman

Re: 440 Oil Leaks - 07/23/10 12:54 PM

Distributor hold down is a blind hole. Shouldn't be anything coming out of there.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 440 Oil Leaks - 07/23/10 06:24 PM

Quote:

Distributor hold down is a blind hole. Shouldn't be anything coming out of there.

Re: 440 Oil Leaks - 07/23/10 07:28 PM

That's what I thought. But I actually watched oil seeping up from the block at the threads. I put some silicone in the hole for the heck of it, and when I fired it up, I can actually see the oil pushing up the rtv out the top of the hole. I'll have to check to see if the hole is drilled/tapped all the way through from the previous owner, and if so, not sure what to do, maybe a stud with a gasket?

Re: 440 Oil Leaks - 07/23/10 07:32 PM

I'm not sure. I had the heads off in the winter, everything looked good in the cylinders, pistons. I did not re-ring it, but I am using a pvc valve on the right cover and a breather on the other. It leaked in the same spot last time around with my 906's. I put 915's on and still leaks same spot, that's why I thought maybe the cover was warped. Just gonna keep pullin my hair out...
Posted By: rexus31

Re: 440 Oil Leaks - 07/23/10 08:14 PM

Pull the valve cover. Place a small light on a flat surface (workbench) and with the gasket on place the valve cover over it. Press down on the two center bolt hole locations. If there is light shinning through your cover is tweaked and you will have to get out a piece of wood and a hammer and adjust it until it lays flat and you see no light shining through. If the light can pass the oil can as well.
Posted By: Commando1

Re: 440 Oil Leaks - 07/23/10 08:31 PM

I always take a section of 1/4" plate and do a stamping process all around the valve cover in the flat edge where the gasket lies flat. It always surprises me how many uneven spots are found this way when they weren't visible to the naked eye.
© 2024 Moparts Forums