Moparts

New help with adjustable timing chain SB

Posted By: 74_360_Cuda

New help with adjustable timing chain SB - 07/21/10 03:49 PM

410 Stroker with Comp Cam XR286HR,

My ENgine builder is no longer in business for personnal reasons but he was really reliable.

In my documentation & verbally he told me that he has installed the Cam with 2 degree advance (104 instead of 106). This was to have good torque at low RPM since my gear was only 3:55.

I am now installing a 3:91 and would like to put the Cam back were the manufacturer recommend (I have also used dyno software to validate).

I trust my former engine builder but the crank gear is installed with the keyway labeled 0 degree??? Is this possible? When I lower the Cam gear dot down at 6 o'clock it is lining-up with the outboard 0 degree mark on the crank gear (marks closer to the chain).

My question is, is it possible that my Cam was installed with 2 degree advance even if the crank gear is in the 0 degree keyway? (JP Performance billet timing set)?

Thanks, will try to post picture later.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: New help with adjustable timing chain SB - 07/21/10 04:48 PM

Some of those timing sets have an array of dots/ triangles/squares that can be confusing. Eyeball all that you have/location and holler back. I am assuming w this good of a set that he didn't need to use the MP offset keys but used the above marks to advance it
Posted By: Baxter61

Re: New help with adjustable timing chain SB - 07/21/10 06:13 PM

yes, its possible. they make offset cam keys for adjustment at the cam. If he use a 2 degree advance key, you will either need to offset that at the crank or get a 0 degree advance key.
Posted By: 5spdcuda

Re: New help with adjustable timing chain SB - 07/21/10 07:43 PM

Personally I would leave it alone. All chains stretch, cheap ones a lot. Good ones not so much, but they still stretch. By the time you get a few more miles on it, it will be at 106*. Besides there isn't all that much difference between 3:55 & 3:91.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: New help with adjustable timing chain SB - 07/22/10 12:03 AM

Quote:

Personally I would leave it alone. All chains stretch, cheap ones a lot. Good ones not so much, but they still stretch. By the time you get a few more miles on it, it will be at 106*. Besides there isn't all that much difference between 3:55 & 3:91.

Posted By: 74_360_Cuda

Re: New help with adjustable timing chain SB - 07/22/10 03:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Precious advice! I agree, I will leave it alone!
© 2024 Moparts Forums