Moparts

NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WITH ELECTRICAL/WIRING

Posted By: RAPID1055

NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WITH ELECTRICAL/WIRING - 07/15/10 10:24 PM

Have an 1970 E Body Cuda...Recently all electrical was fine with the exception of Dome light.

Situation that just sprang up:

1.Have tail lights no back-up lights or blinkers.

2.Reverse light inside car will not light in reverse.
Would appreciate any input recommendations

Thanks
Posted By: j3wbagell

Re: NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WITH ELECTRICAL/WIRING - 07/16/10 12:45 AM

fuses under the dash they're cylindrical

Re: NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WITH ELECTRICAL/WIRING - 07/16/10 01:48 AM

Appreciate the response...However prior to posting....

as you described "fuses under the dash they're cylindrical" were pulled, checked visually and checked with a meter prior to putting them back in the fuse block under the dash.

Any other theories you or anyone else has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WITH ELECTRICAL/WIRING - 07/16/10 02:04 AM

The back up light and light inside the car are a part of the same circuit. Is it auto or manual? Anyway check the connection at the tranny trace it from there. The blinker sounds like it could be the blinker module. Its the metal gizmo hanging by two wires next to the fuse block. Or it could be the ground of the tailights. Thats the only place the backup lights and turn signal lights have in common, however, youd probably not have stop lights or tailights if thats the problem, but it wouldn't hurt to check.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WITH ELECTRICAL/WIRING - 07/16/10 02:07 AM

I think you have two different problems. Check the backup switch on the tranny and make sure it did not come loose. Short the two black wires that go to the switch and see if the lamps light. If they do, it is a bad switch. If not, lots of wiring to check. Get a diagram.
The turns signals could be do to a bad switch in the column. Try jiggling it while you have someone watch.
Also, those little cylinders with the wires inside them sometimes go bad without looking bad. Check them with an ohm meter to make sure.
Craig
Posted By: Slotts

Re: NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WITH ELECTRICAL/WIRING - 07/16/10 02:09 AM

It looks like you have to check and see if 12 vdc is present at these locations you stated. Start with your dome light. If there is 12 vdc then I would think you have a poor or no ground at all. Try a jumper test cable to a good ground and see if it lights.

Slotts

Re: NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WITH ELECTRICAL/WIRING - 07/16/10 02:24 AM

CUDAJOHN

CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH

Re: NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WITH ELECTRICAL/WIRING - 07/16/10 02:26 AM

DENFIREGUY

CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH

Re: NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WITH ELECTRICAL/WIRING - 07/16/10 02:29 AM

SLOTTS

CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH AS WELL.

APPRECIATE THE TIME YOU GUYS TOOK TO HELP ME OUT.

I will forward an update.
Posted By: dan9

Re: NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WITH ELECTRICAL/WIRING - 07/16/10 12:29 PM

Sometimes the door switches get a little crusty sometimes twisting them a little will make ground. As for the other issues i think others have gotten you off to a good start.
Posted By: Cudajon

Re: NEED HELP FROM ANYONE WITH ELECTRICAL/WIRING - 07/16/10 03:36 PM

RAPID1055, you don't understand nobody ever comes back and says thanks. But, Thank you and Your welcome. Its what this site is all about. The dome light is simple to trace and figure out but you have to remove the kick panels to get to the wiring. Its a double pole type connection kinda like what you find in a house where you have two light switches controlling the same light. See if you have voltage to the switchs and then if the switches open close. Unless the bulb is burned out thats pretty much it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums