Moparts

400 engine-what year blocks are best to make a stroker

Posted By: rtplumcrazy1

400 engine-what year blocks are best to make a stroker - 07/07/10 08:53 PM

-what year 400 blocks are the best to stroke-also if not the best year engine to stroke what other years are still ok-thanks
Posted By: bigdad

Re: 400 engine-what year blocks are best to make a stroker - 07/07/10 08:58 PM

1972 Cold weather block

casting 230#
Posted By: amxautox

Re: 400 engine-what year blocks are best to make a stroker - 07/07/10 09:01 PM

And I have two of them in my garage. both run, one needs a rebuild, one needs a crank kit.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 400 engine-what year blocks are best to make a stroker - 07/08/10 02:28 AM

A little more info is needed , what's your HP goal ?

The EARLY 230 block is the hardest to find , expect to pay a premium if the seller knows what he has , but I wouldn't pay stupid money for one unless it has been cleaned , magnafluxed and sonic checks good , these blocks can and do suffer from core shift.
Posted By: quickd100

Re: 400 engine-what year blocks are best to make a stroker - 07/08/10 10:29 AM

Quote:

A little more info is needed , what's your HP goal ?

The EARLY 230 block is the hardest to find , expect to pay a premium if the seller knows what he has , but I wouldn't pay stupid money for one unless it has been cleaned , magnafluxed and sonic checks good , these blocks can and do suffer from core shift.

I agree with John 100%. If I had a number of blocks to chose from though I'd go with the one that has thickest cylinder walls reguardless of the year it was cast. The early 230 blocks while having very good beef around the crank can also have very, very bad core shift. I've got one I use as a door stop in my garage, one cylinder checks right at .082, it's never been bored. Dave
© 2024 Moparts Forums