Moparts

Recommend an epoxy for my intake

Posted By: DaveRS23

Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/06/10 01:29 AM

I need to epoxy a piece or two in my al intake. Are the more expensive epoxies like Moroso better than something like JB Weld? I don't need a lot of strength, I think the most important thing would be adhesion to two pieces of al.

What epoxy would you recommend? Thanks!
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/06/10 01:52 AM

I have heard of many other guys using jb weld inside intake manifolds. Seems to be a fairly common practice. I would just be sure the area to be jb'd is clean, roughed up a bit and you cure it under heat for some additional strength. I hope whatever you're epoxying isn't a structural part...
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/06/10 03:08 AM

Make sure whatever epoxy you chose does not get affected by alcohol.
Posted By: Frederick

Re: Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/06/10 09:34 AM

MarineTex gray or A-788 Splashzone for gas engines.
Belzona 1111 for alcohol engines.

Getting a good mechanical bond is very important.

So, make sure you prepare the surface so there's plenty of mechanical "grip", degrease with acetone, and it'll never come out.

Re: Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/07/10 01:39 AM

Gas engine, so what's the source for the MarineTex or SplashZone? I have never heard of either.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/07/10 03:24 AM

Devcon "F"

http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?familyID=107
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/07/10 12:53 PM

Quote:

Gas engine ...

Youu do realize that most all gas sold in gas stations has alcohol in it ... they call it ethanol?
Posted By: dynamite

Re: Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/07/10 02:29 PM

You can get marine tex in any marina or boat store
Posted By: Chris_Holton

Re: Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/07/10 03:32 PM

You can get the "splash zone" from goodson with there logo on it or just call reher and morrison both have it in stock, I prefer to use j.b. weld around the edges to seal it, and it "feathers" better so fuel and oil cant lift it. I have used gallons of epoxy the last 10 years, splash zone" is the industry standard. Hope this helps...c.h.....
Posted By: 74_duster

Re: Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/07/10 06:29 PM

Quote:

Devcon "F"

http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?familyID=107

Devcon is good stuff. i have heard of it being used in cylinder heads after some overzealous porting. Still Holding years later
Posted By: RoadrunnerCN

Re: Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/07/10 09:15 PM

May sound crazy, but I just patch coated some rivets on my aluminum fishing boat with some epoxy I purchased from "Fasco" out of Hileah, FL. Think the website was fasco.com, but search on "Fasco, Hileah, FL" and it should come up (or "aluminum boat patch epoxy). I love the stuff. It worked great and I talked to them on the phone. They were helpful. You could ask if they have some that will not deteriorate with alcohol. They have many, many kinds. On the boat I used "Flex Steel", which has teflon in it for coating the bottom of boats, but again, they make all kinds. Just a thought.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/07/10 09:26 PM

Will aluminum brazing rod work in your application?

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=crmas&p=aluminum+brazing+rod
Posted By: BradH

Re: Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/07/10 11:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Gas engine ...

Youu do realize that most all gas sold in gas stations has alcohol in it ... they call it ethanol?

And even the 10% blend is enough to cause Moroso's epoxy to "unglue" from the intake, as I can confirm first hand.

If there's alcohol in your fuel, find that Belzona stuff someone mentioned above. But don't expect it to be cheap!

Re: Recommend an epoxy for my intake - 07/08/10 12:14 AM

Wow! More choices than I thought there would be. And a little more complexity. Thanks for the help, guys.
© 2024 Moparts Forums