Moparts

rear super stock springs

Posted By: swinger73

rear super stock springs - 07/03/10 02:07 PM

I recently installed super stock springs on the rear of my 73 Dart. I don't like the way it sits uneven what is the best way to fix this, crank up the left front torsion bar or put another right side spring on the left side? I like the ride height just not the fact that the right side sits higher.
Posted By: topside

Re: rear super stock springs - 07/03/10 04:42 PM

Either way works to level the car.
Posted By: 7D9LRE

Re: rear super stock springs - 07/04/10 12:26 AM

I don't want to high jack your post, just a quick question. Are the '65-'66 rear springs the same as length as later A-bodies?

Re: rear super stock springs - 07/04/10 12:40 AM

The springs I bought say they will fit a 64-76 A-body so I would say yes.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: rear super stock springs - 07/04/10 02:08 AM

You can also have a local spring shop take some arch out of the right spring or add some to the left.

I prefer the preloaded torsion bar on a drag car because plants the right tire harder.
Posted By: Leadfoot

Re: rear super stock springs - 07/04/10 07:46 AM

Can you turn the right hanger upside down?
Posted By: jbc426

Re: rear super stock springs - 07/04/10 08:45 AM

You can run either two left side springs or two right side springs. That's what I did. Works great, car sits even and looks level.

Re: rear super stock springs - 07/04/10 01:02 PM

Which did you use 2 lefts or 2 rights? I like the height of the right sides but am worried it will make the rear too stiff and cause it to bounce around a lot.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: rear super stock springs - 07/04/10 01:36 PM

Most SS springs are 120lbs/inch. Not that stiff. The 002/003 springs are 160lbs/inch. Still not real stiff. Some of the stock springs are over 200lbs/inch.

You do understand that if you use 2 the same that they will not work the way they were designed. The car may launch crooked. They are biased for a reason.

Re: rear super stock springs - 07/04/10 01:58 PM

Yup I do know that however using the SS springs was most likely not the best idea I have ever had in the first place, as I am just building a street car not a strip car. I am just trying to correct my mistake for the least amount of money. I am concerned that if I crank up the left front to level the car it will have an adverse effect on how the car handles.
Posted By: hemi_harvester

Re: rear super stock springs - 07/04/10 02:29 PM

Try just unbolting the stack and taking the bottom 1/2 spring out of the stack.
Posted By: convx4

Re: rear super stock springs - 07/04/10 11:45 PM

I would like to part with my 65 coronet super stock springs, They were not the right choice for my application.
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: rear super stock springs - 07/05/10 02:41 AM

At my shop we have done hundreds of those. The right rear does have more bias built in it. It is that way to control the twist from the torque . By using the torsion bars to level it is what you want to do so you can put into it the planed amount of bias the spring was designed for. There is not an issue in the handling of the car if aligned right afterwords.

Re: rear super stock springs - 07/05/10 01:32 PM

Thanks Jake I think you just saved me another hundred bucks, headed out to crank up the front.!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums