Moparts

Left turn signal indicator light staying on

Posted By: GregY

Left turn signal indicator light staying on - 07/03/10 12:49 AM

Guys,

When I turn the lights on in my '71 Charger, the left turn signal indicator on the instrument panel is on and steady.

The indicator will flash if I put the left turn signal or the flashers on. It goes off if I shut the lights off.

All the lights (headlights, high beams, side markers, tailights, brake lights, instrument panel lights, etc.) seem to be working fine. I also don't see any blown fuses.

I am assuming this is a warning light of some kind, but for what?

Thanks.

Greg
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Left turn signal indicator light staying on - 07/03/10 12:59 AM

Tighten the phillips screws that hold left park-turn lamp into valance.
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: Left turn signal indicator light staying on - 07/03/10 01:02 AM

It is almost certainly a ground problem at a left side turn signal/park lamp socket.

Although you think all the lights are "fine", if you inspect the left side 1157 bulbs closely, I predict that you will find that one of them is actually lighting BOTH filaments when only the park lights are on. This is the socket with the bad ground, and the park light filament is feeding back through the other filament (and your dash indicator) to get its ground.

Fix the ground at that socket.
Posted By: j3wbagell

Re: Left turn signal indicator light staying on - 07/03/10 04:22 AM

might be the indicator fuse should be 2 under the dash
Posted By: GregY

Re: Left turn signal indicator light staying on - 07/03/10 12:00 PM

Thanks guys, I will check these things.

Greg
Posted By: Ronnman

Re: Left turn signal indicator light staying on - 07/03/10 02:33 PM

Ground problem, probably at the front turn signal housing ground. Get right up to the lights and check with the lights on. You will see the light causing the problem will have the filament lightly glowing. Then remove bulb and clean socket and bulb. Recheck, if still a problem, check the socket to housing groung. Stake the rolled over lip if not making contact well. Then check the housing to body connection, clean and tighten as needed. Also, check the back lights for the same problem if not resolved.
Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums