Moparts

Harsh drive engagement?

Posted By: 65Valiant

Harsh drive engagement? - 07/01/10 06:07 AM

65 valiant with a 78 904 transmission. Always harsh and clunk noise when putting into drive...tried adjusting the idle and helped a little but the engine almost stalls due to the low idle when at stop lights.
Clunks a little bit in reverse too.
UJoints are fairly new.
Tranmission was rebuilt recently and shifts perfectly, yet still harsh drive engagement.
Any ideas?
Posted By: Pat_Whalen

Re: Harsh drive engagement? - 07/01/10 08:27 AM

Quote:

65 valiant with a 78 904 transmission. Always harsh and clunk noise when putting into drive...tried adjusting the idle and helped a little but the engine almost stalls due to the low idle when at stop lights.
Clunks a little bit in reverse too.
UJoints are fairly new.
Tranmission was rebuilt recently and shifts perfectly, yet still harsh drive engagement.
Any ideas?

What sort of rear axle?
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Harsh drive engagement? - 07/01/10 08:58 AM

What is the idle speed and what torque convertor are you using?
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: Harsh drive engagement? - 07/01/10 11:51 AM

When these cars were new in 64/5/6/etc. many owners, including myself, returned our cars to the dealer with this complaint...when new, or correctly rebuilt these transmissions have a very positive shift, that trait is part of what makes them last a lifetime. Slow easy shifting wears things out. my2cents

Re: Harsh drive engagement? - 07/01/10 01:17 PM

7 1/4 rear axle, idle set at 950/900, and a stock mopar torque converter, dont know the stall but for a 318/904 from 78 according to my mechanic.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Harsh drive engagement? - 07/02/10 06:05 PM

If it's a 12" convertor. They are tight. Tight means harsh engagement. This is not to say there is not a problem with your transmission or it can not be fixed by something in your transmission but I've swapped from 12 to 11 before and the engagement was much softer.
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Harsh drive engagement? - 07/02/10 06:08 PM

Quote:

7 idle set at 950/900, =

Is that idle in gear or idle in park/neutral.

Re: Harsh drive engagement? - 07/04/10 06:52 PM

In park the idle is a little higher...maybe 950/1000, and I adjusted the idle so in drive it is at 800.
Looks to be the lowest it will go without stalling when at a light. It actually helped a little with the engagement being harsh going from neutral to drive or park to drive.
I start the car in neutral now as I heard this helps the transmission fluid flow when starting the car cold.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Harsh drive engagement? - 07/04/10 08:41 PM

Quote:

Always harsh and clunk noise when putting into drive. Clunks a little bit in reverse too.
Any ideas?

ring/pinion (excessive) backlash
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Harsh drive engagement? - 07/04/10 09:02 PM

Quote:

In park the idle is a little higher...maybe 950/1000, and I adjusted the idle so in drive it is at 800.

That's a lot higher than the normal 550-650, if you have to run it that high to keep from stalling there's a problem with the tuneup.
© 2024 Moparts Forums