Moparts

DUMB QUESTION- VACUUM

Posted By: cudaboone

DUMB QUESTION- VACUUM - 06/30/10 02:07 PM

My 528 has dominator intake and 1050 dominator carb. MSD pro billet distributor has vacuum pot.
Current have a vacuum motor to run my power brakes, however i am in the process of removing my booster and running manual disc brakes. Have all the parts ready.
Here's the question: could i use the vacuum motor that is already there to run a vacuum distributor?
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: DUMB QUESTION- VACUUM - 06/30/10 02:09 PM

do you mean as a vacuum advance for your distrib? why bother? you have a 528 cubic inch engine and a 1050 Dom carb. Vac advance is designed for better emissons and mpgs.
Posted By: The_Mean_Machine

Re: DUMB QUESTION- VACUUM - 06/30/10 02:14 PM

no, the vacuum pump would not simulate the operating conditions of your engine. Your dizzy needs a vacuum signal generated by the engine.
Posted By: moper

Re: DUMB QUESTION- VACUUM - 06/30/10 04:03 PM

No. Cap it and forget about it.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: DUMB QUESTION- VACUUM - 06/30/10 04:38 PM

The reason vacuum is used for advance is because depending on the load, the vacuum readings go up and down. You don't want the added vacuum under load, because it will detonate. And having the added vacuum while not under load will keep the plugs cleaner.

With a vacuum pump, it does not change when under load, it is a constant vacuum.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: DUMB QUESTION- VACUUM - 06/30/10 04:53 PM

In theory you probably could do it if you just flicked a switch to run the vaccum pump when on a steady cruise on the highway. However with a 528 with a 1050 I somehow don't think highway cruising is what the car was built for...
Posted By: cudaboone

Re: DUMB QUESTION- VACUUM - 06/30/10 04:56 PM

Thanks guys. It was just something that popped into my head for some reason.
© 2024 Moparts Forums