Moparts

Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket...

Posted By: cuda_tim

Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/26/10 02:20 AM

Ok, I need to change the gasket on my 727 transmission pan. I used cork before, with some sort of blue RTV.

I'm not sure that it ever stopped leaking! A dribble here & a dribble there.

What do you suggest?

I have a rubber gasket.

But I'm used to cork.

If I use the rubber gasket, what RTV should I use?

I'm temped to use cork again, but with Permatex 2. Putting the gasket on the pan & letting it dry overnight. Then applying the same sealant with a dab on each screw...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim...
Posted By: Neil

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/26/10 02:36 AM

I used a soft rubber gasket and clear GE Silicone I door and window sealant on my pickup transmission and it worked nicely. The GE silicone is available at home depot and lowes and it works better than any parts store rtv I have ever tried. It's super sticky and sets up pretty fast so have all your parts cleaned and ready to roll once you start applying it.

As with any sealant you need to make sure the surfaces are super clean. I went over the trans case surface with paper towels and carb cleaner several times in order to get it as clean and oil free as possible.
Posted By: broncobra

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/26/10 02:39 AM

Don't use rtv. Use Indian shellac or some thing else, or get one of those rubber/steel insert gaskets. RTV can get small blobs gunked up into everything, use a painted on type sealer.
Posted By: Reggie

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/26/10 03:07 AM

Go to a Dodge/Chrysler dealer and get the newer style reuseable pan gasket. The number for the 727 (or A-518/46RH/46RE) is: 2464324AC. It is hard nylon over steel with molded in double sealing beads. Be careful not to overtorque it, or you can strip the case threads because it doesn't compress the same as a cork or rubber gasket.
Posted By: 71autoxr

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/26/10 03:58 AM

Quote:

Go to a Dodge/Chrysler dealer and get the newer style reuseable pan gasket. The number for the 727 (or A-518/46RH/46RE) is: 2464324AC. It is hard nylon over steel with molded in double sealing beads. Be careful not to overtorque it, or you can strip the case threads because it doesn't compress the same as a cork or rubber gasket.

I agree. It will be the last pan gasket you ever buy. Well worth the money.
Posted By: dOrk !

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/26/10 04:24 AM

As long as the pan-rail is straight and flat ...and you do NOT over-torque the bolts ....

......ANY gaskets will work.

I have a cork one on my 62 since the late-70's ... on and off maybe 8 or so times .....NO problem.

And NOTE ... if you are chancing STRIPPING the threads in the case by OVERtightening ... you are using about FIVE TIMES ++ ... tooooo much torque on these bolts.
Posted By: Chilort

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/26/10 04:38 AM

Quote:

One of the best things I ever did. I love mine. It is a slightly different shape than a 727 pan from Mopar (old, or even their deep pan -- P3690730AB) but it seals and seals well. I agree with the torque issue too. I think the book calls for something like 150inlbs which is too much for cork too. I went to around 1/2 that.
Posted By: Scott Carl

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/26/10 05:59 AM

Quote:

As long as the pan-rail is straight and flat ...and you do NOT over-torque the bolts ....

......ANY gaskets will work.

I have a cork one on my 62 since the late-70's ... on and off maybe 8 or so times .....NO problem.

And NOTE ... if you are chancing STRIPPING the threads in the case by OVERtightening ... you are using about FIVE TIMES ++ ... tooooo much torque on these bolts.

I just rebuilt a GM (yeah I know ) but I re-used a rubber one that we had put on several weeks earlier when we thought it might just need a fluid and filter change. I got a new on in the kit but it was cork and as simply a personal choice, I'm not fond of cork. Anyway, point is, I just used a little film of white grease but no sealer. I go just snug on all bolts and another wrist twist (1/4 to 1/3 turn?) Been two weeks now and no leaks. If you can see the gasket compress and squish out any, you've over tightened.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/26/10 12:14 PM

x2..x3...x4 on the newer pan gasket from the dealer

well worth the $

just dont over torque the pan bolts,the gasket does not crush and you can strip the threds very ez

if you do pull some threds out..you can usally get by with a longer bolt as the newer gasket is thicker

had mine 5 yrs now and on/off about 8x so far and still no leak at the pan rail

now the shift selector seal is another thing though

Posted By: moparsquid

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/27/10 04:19 PM

Quote:

Don't use rtv. Use Indian shellac or some thing else, or get one of those rubber/steel insert gaskets. RTV can get small blobs gunked up into everything, use a painted on type sealer.

I agee i just did my pan and used Indian head and a rubber gasket fixed the prblem.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/27/10 04:26 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agee i just did my pan and used Indian head and a rubber gasket fixed the prblem.

Great stuff till you want to take it apart for a trans service. Have fun.
The new ribbed gaskets seal with no added sealer and are reusable.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/27/10 04:29 PM

I've always 3m adhesive a cork gasket [after it relaxes] to the tranny pan and then bolt it up, no sealer in the trans side.

the 3m works great.

mainly you need a pan that has not been torq'd to death in the past.

Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/27/10 04:50 PM

x2

wait till you remove the indian gasket sealer for the next service

dont get me wrong..I use it and it is good stuff

i am just picky were I use it and it wont be coming off any time soon

that dealer gasket is the way to go..even on an over torqued warped pan..like mine
Posted By: MoparMarq

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/27/10 06:24 PM

One more vote for the later model 46RE nylon gasket.
Reused mine after a nice trans fluid shower; no leaks, no problems.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/27/10 06:33 PM

Either will work.

I'd take a good look at the entire area, I replaced my pan gasket 3 times. Finally found out there were 3 other leaks making it look like the pan gasket was the problem.
Posted By: Mopar_Country

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/27/10 07:59 PM

Make sure your pan is flat on the mating area. A lot of the time you will see that in the bolt hole area that they are bowl shaped, this is from over tightening. Check with a straight edge on the surface that mates to the housing and see if everything is flush. If not you can work the bolt holes in the opposite direction to get a good seal on install.
Posted By: dusturbd340W5

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 06/27/10 08:28 PM

1st get the reusable gasket best gasket you will ever buy 2nd if installed correctly no gasket needs any sealer at all we use the fiber gaskets at work I use no sealer and have no problems.

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket.. STILL LEAKS - 09/04/10 04:52 PM

Ok, since I posted last, I've had several gaskets on the tranny pan and it is still leaking...

I even got the one from the Chrysler dealer, and that one leaked also.

I also checked the flatness of the pan, it is fine. It is a deep pan.

The good thing is that I'm getting pretty good at dropping it. Luckily, it has a plug for drainage.

Ok, I'm beginning to think that perhaps it is leaking at the filler tube. I'm going to check that today.

But here is my question...

It only appears to leak when it is sitting (I know, otherwise I wouldn't notice it...duh!).

But I'm wondering if perhaps I'm overfilling it. The filler tube is NOT original. Does the fluid sitting in the pan normally lie ABOVE the seal between the pan and tranny? That is, perhaps when the car is sitting the fluid is supposed to be below the pan lip.

Anyone??
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket.. STILL LEAKS - 09/04/10 05:11 PM

fluid level is above the pan and you get converter drainback raising the fluid level as it sits.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket.. STILL LEAKS - 09/04/10 05:29 PM

Many a pan gasket has been blamed for leaks that actually come from:
The selector shaft seal
The Fill-tube/O-ring
The reverse-shaft at the rear of the pan area, just above the pan rail
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket.. STILL LEAKS - 09/04/10 05:31 PM

Quote:

The selector shaft seal
The Fill-tube/O-ring

Exactly.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket.. STILL LEAKS - 09/04/10 06:30 PM

I always have a tendency to over tighten so cork is always out for me. On my daughters neon I used "the right stuff" and no gasket but usually I just use a rubber gasket. Her neon leaked no matter what I tried so I used the sealer only. As far as the filler tube leaking, reach up around the base of the tube and see if it is wet. The fluid isn`t going to drip uphill.
Posted By: BDW

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket.. STILL LEAKS - 09/04/10 08:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The selector shaft seal
The Fill-tube/O-ring

Exactly.

Good advice, as I said, replaced my pan/gasket 3 times. Look elsewhere.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=
Posted By: None2Slow

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 09/04/10 09:35 PM

I had a turbo350 in my 69 Camaro that we couldn't get to stop leaking. No matter what gasket we used. Checked the pan and it was a little bent around the bolt holes so we fixed it. Still leaked. Bought a new deep pan and it still leaked. Finally put a straight edge on the trans itself and found that it wasn't flat. After asking around, I was told that if somebody had taken a metal scrapper, lik a putty knife, to clean the rail, it's easy to cause this type of problem. We took a long file and carefully worked the area around the low spot and finally got it to even out a bit. Put it back together and no more leak. May be worth checking into.

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 09/23/10 04:12 AM

Ok, I took my deep pan off again. And I thought that I found the problem. I was so excited!

When I laid a straight edge across the front of the pan rail (the rail that meets the front of the tranny), there appeared to be a little bend... exactly where it leaks (on the passenger side front corner). That was the only place that it didn't appear to be straight.

So rather then try to straighten it (and perhaps make it worse), I bought a new pan.

But this one appears to be bent in the same area.

So I'm ready to sell the car. Any takers? (just kidding!)

Now I'm thinking that I have a couple of options. 1) try and straighten the old one or 2) try the new one as is.

It came with a new rubber gasket that is less than 1/8" thick.

Does anyone know, am I supposed to use any sealant?

Thanks!

Tim...
Posted By: 471Magnum

Re: Cork or Rubber? Tranny pan gasket... - 09/30/10 05:14 PM

Quote:

Go to a Dodge/Chrysler dealer and get the newer style reuseable pan gasket. The number for the 727 (or A-518/46RH/46RE) is: 2464324AC.

My local Dodge dealer indicates this is no longer a valid number.

Anybody got the current part number for the reusable 727 gasket?
© 2024 Moparts Forums