Moparts

Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height?

Posted By: Mobarge

Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/13/08 05:58 AM

I've got a '71 B-Body, and I'd like to lower the rear ride height by about 1 inch. In looking at my factory stock hangers on the front of the rear springs, it looks like I can flip them (so the hanger hole is higher / closer to the undercarriage), which I believe will lower the car. Has anyone done this? How much does this lower the car? Anything to watch out for?
Posted By: D_C

Re: Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/13/08 06:09 AM

I've heard of it before. You can try it to see if it works out for you.

As you move the height, for every two-inches on one fixed-end (front or rear) you get 1-inch change in ride-height.

If it's time for new springs (old ones worn out) you could order a new ride height set or have the old springs de-arched.

Lowering-Blocks (mounted between the spring-pads and spring) are another option.

Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/13/08 06:11 AM

What would raising the front of the springs (flipping the hanger) do to the pinion angle?
Posted By: D_C

Re: Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/13/08 06:18 AM

Always a good idea to check that (pinion-angle) whenever you mess with the springs and ride-height.

If a problem (angle) is detected, you can often fix/adjust with wedge-shims unless it is excessive, in which case you'd need to cut-off/weld-on new spring perch pads onto the rear-axle housing.

Here is some info on checking D/S angles:

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0203sr_drive_shaft_angles/index.html

Re: Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/13/08 06:23 AM

The pinion angle is my biggest concern - I think I'd have to shim it for sure. I don't think I'd be lowering it enough to have to re-weld the perches though. Also, the springs are the XHD Mopar Performance springs.

Does anyone know where to get good solid-steel lowering blocks with the correct U-bolts? I checked Summit, Jegs, Mancini Racing and haven't really found the right set for a '71 B.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/13/08 06:42 AM

Quote:

I've got a '71 B-Body, and I'd like to lower the rear ride height by about 1 inch. In looking at my factory stock hangers on the front of the rear springs, it looks like I can flip them (so the hanger hole is higher / closer to the undercarriage), which I believe will lower the car. Has anyone done this? How much does this lower the car? Anything to watch out for?

I don't think the pattern is exactly 100% symetrical. IIRC, you have to rat tail file the holes a little??
Posted By: tecmopar

Re: Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/13/08 10:09 AM

When you flip them the holes don't line up so theres some work to be done on that. I do remember using a set of Rancho (I think) aluminum blocks and with a little massaging and longer bolts they worked out great. I don't remember where I got them from though, it was a while back. good luck.
Posted By: Gavin

Re: Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/13/08 11:17 AM

Correct, you have to elongate the holes in the mounting a very minor amount - an easy job and does not stop you reversing it back again. I did it on my Challenger, worked fine.

Alternatively if you prefer to spend money or to not elongate the holes you can now buy bolt-in brackets that have several sets of holes...can't remember where to get them but no doubt someone else will.....
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/13/08 02:01 PM

You can just order new hangers from Mancini Racing rather than butcher up the mounting holes. AR094 will give you a second set of lowering holes. Or, if you really want to drop the car get the AR098 hangers.

You might want to order the reinforcement plates at the same time.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/13/08 02:09 PM

I thought they went on upside down and swap sides to do that?

Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/13/08 03:36 PM

i flipped the front hangers about 5 years ago without any problems that i can remember.
this is what it looks like with 5 year old mopar performance hemi springs.
i am not sure the of the height of the tire. it has the STOCK 17" tire from a 08 mustang GT. 31" if i remember correctly.

Attached picture 4616256-roadrunner001.JPG
Posted By: UCUDANT

Re: Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/13/08 05:32 PM

Quote:

I thought they went on upside down and swap sides to do that?

I did that with my Cuda, I was doing a spring relocation and used the A body front hangers (they don't list offset E body hangers for stock spring length)

Re: Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/13/08 05:54 PM

Love the ride height on Mr T's '72. So, if I get this right: if I flop sides on the hangers, and turn them upside down, that should work. I may have to tap the holes out a bit though.
Posted By: Gavin

Re: Flipping Spring Hangers to Lower the Ride Height? - 08/14/08 11:30 AM

You don't need to swap them side to side
© 2024 Moparts Forums