Moparts

Gibbs brand penetrant? LOOKS like great stuff

Posted By: 71TA

Gibbs brand penetrant? LOOKS like great stuff - 06/23/10 01:12 AM

Just ran across this website whill looking around at different styles of vintage wheels for old muscle cars. The guy has a webpage devoted to this stuff.

http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/
Posted By: Dadrules

Re: Gibbs brand penetrant? LOOKS like great stuff - 06/23/10 02:18 AM

wow! snake oil or ?? i'm going to buy a couple of cans of this to try. I do a fair amount of shooting in addition to throwing time and money at our Barracuda and always looking for a better lubricant for semi-autos.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Gibbs brand penetrant? LOOKS like great stuff - 06/23/10 02:29 AM

I found that page the other day when look up info on some wheels I have. Seems like a legit guy as he's a regular on some old hot rod boards.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Gibbs brand penetrant? LOOKS like great stuff - 06/23/10 02:37 AM

Quote:

wow! snake oil or ?? i'm going to buy a couple of cans of this to try. I do a fair amount of shooting in addition to throwing time and money at our Barracuda and always looking for a better lubricant for semi-autos.

I thought the same thing. I may break down and pic up a couple cans. From his write up I may never need any more than 2 cans
Posted By: In_The_Pink

Re: Gibbs brand penetrant? LOOKS like great stuff - 06/23/10 04:35 AM

Save your time and money and buy a can of protectant from the hardware store...even WD40 will do the same thing- penetrate and displace moisture to prevent corrosion.

I bead blasted then sprayed these with the attached product and have had zero corrosion in two years of sitting on a concrete floor:

Attached picture 6050426-LG_L312.jpg
Posted By: Y3 70 BEE

Re: Gibbs brand penetrant? LOOKS like great stuff - 06/23/10 04:48 AM

They say you can paint over it. FEEL LUCKY anyone?
Posted By: Y3 70 BEE

Re: Gibbs brand penetrant? LOOKS like great stuff - 06/23/10 04:56 AM

And that black and white pic of the guy and car looks new.
Posted By: Spike

Re: Gibbs brand penetrant? LOOKS like great stuff - 06/27/10 01:29 PM

Quote:

They say you can paint over it. FEEL LUCKY anyone?

Also states on that web page;

Painting over Gibbs Brand
The label on a can of Gibbs Brand says that "you can paint right over it". However, common sense will tell you not to paint over an oily surface that isn't clean.

To paint metal that has been treated with Gibbs Brand, simply begin by wiping it down with whatever surface cleaner is recommended by the manufacturer of the particular paint system that you are using, and proceed as you normally would.

Due to the tremendous variety of ingredients that are used in paints, it is not possible to be absolutely certain that Gibbs Brand is compatible with every paint on the market. However, we are not aware of any compatibility issues with any particular paint
Posted By: LimeliteAero

Re: Gibbs brand penetrant? LOOKS like great stuff - 07/04/10 12:40 PM

Ive been using nothing but Gibbs oil for about 20 years.

Its the best penatrating oil Ive ever used.(not saying the best out there only the best Ive used.) It makes easy work of some of the nasty rusted stuck nuts and bolts.
I first stumbled across it at Carlisle but now its not so easy to purchase.
© 2024 Moparts Forums