Moparts

1966 VIN locations?

Posted By: Freiburger

1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 03:08 AM

I just got a '66 Satellite with the dash cut out and long gone, so there's no VIN there. One VIN tag is still in the driver's door jamb. I can't seem to spot a number on the core support. In '66 did they stamp the VIN anywhere else on the car?
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 03:31 AM

In 68 and earlier they stamp a body# on the panels not the VIN. The body# is different than the VIN.

Sheldon
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 03:36 AM

In '66 there was no VIN on the dash anyways I thought, only the door pillar one to begin with?

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 03:39 AM

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm stuck with one VIN tag. At least it has original rivets.

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 03:40 AM

Quote:

In '66 there was no VIN on the dash anyways I thought, only the door pillar one to begin with?

Really? Anyone else?
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 03:41 AM

My old '66 Satellite only had the one on the pillar from memory..and it had been a one owner car as well.
(did sell it some years back though,so going from what I can remember )
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 03:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Really? Anyone else?

66 VIN is only on the door post. Sales Order numbers are on the tag, radiator support and behind the back bumper.
Posted By: A38s!

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 04:04 AM

Not quite 'on the body', but the Certicard's a spot.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 07:02 AM

The only vin tag on a 66 is on the door jamb drivers side.
There should also be a trim or fender tag with the sales order number located under the hood.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 01:35 PM

66 VIN is only on the door post. Sales Order numbers are on the tag, radiator support and behind the back bumper.

Doug what "tag" are you refering to?
Posted By: Gary67

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 02:09 PM

One vin tag on door jamb, fender tag if it's there has shippng order number that may or may not be on the rad support and behind the rear bumber on the l/s...Hit or miss on these cars with the so number stampings....
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 02:19 PM

OK the shipping order number is on the fender tag on the inner fender in the engine bay. Now I got it. Thanks gary. RR
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 03:52 PM

Dave, Are you wondering how to get this past the DMV since they want to verify the VIN with the secondary numbers? I went through this with both of my sons' cars (67 Barracuda and 67 Dart). I got the Barracuda VIN verified at the DMV and they balked at registering it since the VIN was only in one place. I offered to go home and get my GTS with two broadcast sheets (the only place you can match the VIN to SO). They finally accepted it.

When we went to get my oter son's Dart registered I had a cop friend of mine fill out the sheet. Since he knows NOTHING about cars he put what I told him on the form.
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/25/07 04:40 PM

EXACTLY

Quote:

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/26/07 04:36 PM

Really helpful info, everyone. Thanks. I only had a '64 once, so this '66 is the first time I've paid attention to this stuff on a pre-'68 Mopar.
Posted By: 4mulaS

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/26/07 05:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Really? Anyone else?

This is right. On my 66 A body there is a body sequence number on the rad core support, fender tag, and also one on the interior of the car on the drivers inner wheel house area. Other than that there is only one VIN and that is rivetted onto the drivers door jamb area.
Posted By: ddartdude

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/26/07 11:48 PM

On the 66 A-Body, there's an SO number on the rear package shelf between the speaker cutout and the back glass on the driver's side.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/28/08 04:25 AM

David, are you looking into your Mohave Green car?

For cars '67 and older, you can get an IBM card that is the Build record of the car from Chrysler historical. The card will have the VIN and the S.O. number on it. If you can locate the SO#'s on the body, the IBM card ties them together to prove the cars VIN.
The SO numbers can be hard to find. You need to have the rear bumper off and look near where the left bumper bracket mounts to the body. On the core support it is near the top left corner of the radiator. It could be on the front, back, or on top of the core support.

Chysler historical can be contacted at: pms@chrysler.com

Good luck!
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/28/08 04:59 AM

Quote:

David, are you looking into your Mohave Green car?

For cars '67 and older, you can get an IBM card that is the Build record of the car from Chrysler historical. The card will have the VIN and the S.O. number on it. If you can locate the SO#'s on the body, the IBM card ties them together to prove the cars VIN.
The SO numbers can be hard to find. You need to have the rear bumper off and look near where the left bumper bracket mounts to the body. On the core support it is near the top left corner of the radiator. It could be on the front, back, or on top of the core support.

Chysler historical can be contacted at: pms@chrysler.com

Good luck!

Joel Nailed it! Here's where to look for the rear number

Attached picture 4905554-1966SONumberStampRear.jpg
Posted By: vancamp

Re: 1966 VIN locations? - 12/28/08 01:34 PM

like some have said it is hit and miss if the S.O. numbers are stamped my 66 Satellite does not have the core support or the the rear bumper brace stampings, I seen cars with none, both or only one. vin,fendertag and certicard are really the only numbers you can rely on when looking at a 66 other than date codes.
© 2024 Moparts Forums