Moparts

440 fuel pump problems

Posted By: roy2345

440 fuel pump problems - 06/21/10 01:44 AM

Ok I put my rebuilt 440 back in my car and I am having fuel problems. My pump is not picking up from the tank and I noticed when I installed manual fuel pump it had no resistance as it did b4 the rebuild. I know the cam has a lobe that hits the fuel pump lever. Is this a basic for all cams that go into a 440? The cam is a Lunati Voodoo 60302 cam. If it is in fact the cam what electric fuel pump will be good for me? And where should I place the electric fuel pump? Thanks guys
Posted By: wingman

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/21/10 01:49 AM

Quote:

I know the cam has a lobe that hits the fuel pump lever.

Actually the cam lobe pushes the pushrod, which hits the fuel pump lever. Did you remember to put the pushrod back in?

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/21/10 01:55 AM

I guess the guy didnt put that in...Does the front of the engine has to be tore down to put that in?
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/21/10 01:58 AM

no, remove the plug and install

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/21/10 02:02 AM

ok what plug are you talking about? and where is it located?
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/21/10 02:17 AM

you really need to get someone to help you that knows what they are doing..you will ruin your new engine if you dont.. good luck

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/21/10 02:32 AM

remove fuel pump, look for allen head threaded plug , unscrew and put in push rod, put thick grease on rod to hold up while installing pump
Posted By: HYPER8oSoNic

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/21/10 03:45 AM

Quote:

Ok I put my rebuilt 440 back in my car and I am having fuel problems. My pump is not picking up from the tank and I noticed when I installed manual fuel pump it had no resistance as it did b4 the rebuild. I know the cam has a lobe that hits the fuel pump lever. Is this a basic for all cams that go into a 440? The cam is a Lunati Voodoo 60302 cam. If it is in fact the cam what electric fuel pump will be good for me? And where should I place the electric fuel pump? Thanks guys

with mopars4evers' post. He is dead-on right!! As far as the electric fuel is
concerned with, you may not need it if the mechanical pump is of sufficient pressure (7 psi
at least). Could use the electric as a pusher pump
to combat vapor lock, in those high demand situations (read: racing). But, I would not try
to confuse you with this info now. Sort it out
with the mechanical first, and then decide whether or not to add the electric pump to the system. carefully!!

Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/21/10 03:55 AM

retrieve the thread on the bad FP pushrods so you can pick a source for a good one that will last.

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/23/10 04:44 AM

Quote:

retrieve the thread on the bad FP pushrods so you can pick a source for a good one that will last.

Retrieve what thread?? Explain it man!!

Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/23/10 05:52 AM

There are some guys that are members of this forum that have either been here since the beginning or are super computer tech savvy. I am certainly neither of these. I'm sure that there are SEVERAL other members that may be very good with their cars but are a little slow to catch on to all the jargon associated with online forums like this one.
Just like dealing with young car enthusiasts, it would be nice to be as helpful as we can be to them.

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/23/10 07:14 PM

There is a problem with the new push rods being soft and wearing very quickly. There was another post on moparts about it. Do a search and see if you can locate it for additional info.

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/23/10 07:16 PM

here you go: https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/23/10 08:33 PM

Get a USED fuel pump pushrod--safe choice--new units are butter soft junk--the used ones will have a very smooth end and one with some wear where it ran against the pump--try and put the smooth end in first so it is against your cam--get help if you are unsure--Good luck

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/24/10 02:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Retrieve what thread?? Explain it man!!

Thanks Robert, I did locate the post. Very good
tech!! This is why I DID indicate to
the member who posted to sort out the
problem BEFORE moving to a modification!!

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/24/10 02:26 AM

Quote:

There are some guys that are members of this forum that have either been here since the beginning or are super computer tech savvy. I am certainly neither of these. I'm sure that there are SEVERAL other members that may be very good with their cars but are a little slow to catch on to all the jargon associated with online forums like this one.
Just like dealing with young car enthusiasts, it would be nice to be as helpful as we can be to them.

Hey man, I could never try to "know everything".
I find that the more you wrench on a car, more
problems occur adding to amount that was already
there when the car left the assembly line!! No
one person knows everything, there is no wrong in
the power of suggestion. And at this late age in my life, I am still learning!! The thing with myself is, I always know that there is someone
who knows a little something that I do not know.
I may not agree with everything that is said, but
I NEVER lose respect for my fellow members. As for the jargon, everyone has
different ways of expressing their style of tech
nical advice. It is not to confuse, but to think
about. If it doesn't make sense, by all means ask
questions. Here to help, not here to offend!
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/24/10 05:03 AM

Hey, I'm sorry if I came across as harsh. In the last few years I have tried to be more aware of the differences we all have. I try to use simple terms when I speak with non car guys that I know. My wife is in the computer software industry and listening to her go on about her job has me looking like a deer in the headlights. Nobody prefers to look stupid.
My dads last few years in the car business were tough on him, since everyone had switched to computerized accounting and inventory systems. NOW I see the same thing. I know that nobody has forced me to log on here, but I love these cars and I like to think that I have something to contribute to this great hobby. I dont know how to load pictures. I dont know how to copy a quote. I dont know what a bump is or a sticky. I know a few things about MOPARS and Chevrolets, and I have learned even more in the 4 months I have been a member here. I like posting questions in this column and the general section as well. So far I feel like a kid that has played the X Box Grand Theft Auto game for years and now I just got my license!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/24/10 12:41 PM

Quote:

Hell I thought the above was directed at me for not explaining to him how to retrieve the thread on the bad PR's that I brought up PS and I have yet to figure out how to make the search function work

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/25/10 01:17 AM

Quote:

Hey, I'm sorry if I came across as harsh. In the last few years I have tried to be more aware of the differences we all have. I try to use simple terms when I speak with non car guys that I know. My wife is in the computer software industry and listening to her go on about her job has me looking like a deer in the headlights. Nobody prefers to look stupid.
My dads last few years in the car business were tough on him, since everyone had switched to computerized accounting and inventory systems. NOW I see the same thing. I know that nobody has forced me to log on here, but I love these cars and I like to think that I have something to contribute to this great hobby. I dont know how to load pictures. I dont know how to copy a quote. I dont know what a bump is or a sticky. I know a few things about MOPARS and Chevrolets, and I have learned even more in the 4 months I have been a member here. I like posting questions in this column and the general section as well. So far I feel like a kid that has played the X Box Grand Theft Auto game for years and now I just got my license!

No need to apologize my friend, you do have opinions and SPEAK YOUR MIND. It is only human!
I was a little "uncomfortable" when I joined too,
but with the help of great members out there, they
helped me greatly!! My love for Mopars goes back
to the first 300 that rolled of the line in 55'.
Not that I am that old, (but I am way up in double digits) but I am very much interested in the "old school" 62' to 74' performance Mopars.
I do know them (not an expert), spent a lot of
time working on, driving and overhauling them.
But as I said, THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE WHO KNOWS
SOMETHING YOU DON"T KNOW. Never be afraid to ask
questions, no matter how ridiculous!! There are some respected engine builders, racers, mechanics
and body guys that know this forum and monitor it.
They are eager to help just as I am, and perhaps
while helping there could be new tech shared.
Always a learning curve, no matter what. So welcome (late), relax and fire away on your tech
questions or input you have on any repair or maintenance tips. And I know the
license feeling. It is great!!! Later dude!!

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/25/10 01:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Hell I thought the above was directed at me for not explaining to him how to retrieve the thread on the bad PR's that I brought up PS and I have yet to figure out how to make the search function work

It's cool Robert. Just a bit of "crossed communication" man!! Absolutely no problems!!
Thanks again for the tech advice.

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/25/10 01:33 AM

Quote:

There is a problem with the new push rods being soft and wearing very quickly. There was another post on moparts about it. Do a search and see if you can locate it for additional info.

Forgive me!!
Question: Does Chrysler know about the bad FP pushrods? And are they going to solve the problem?
(I know this is the wrong place to ask, but I would like to know)
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/25/10 01:38 AM

Given the crap MP has sold for years w/o batting an eye, I'm going with no.
Posted By: ireland383

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/25/10 02:15 AM

I wasn't taken any chances and used the Summit electric pump that doesn't require a regulator with good results.

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/26/10 01:44 AM

Quote:

Given the crap MP has sold for years w/o batting an eye, I'm going with no.

Is it possible to have a machine shop custom make them out of the good stuff? (Another question ) SORRY GUYS
AND GALS!!

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/26/10 08:29 AM

I ordered one off ebay and that was b4 I read the bad Push rod thread. It bothered me so that I just got a used one out of a scrapped 383 and I put it in as Sugguested and WHOLA it works great!! I put the new onr that came in the mail in the cabinets.

Re: 440 fuel pump problems - 06/26/10 11:09 AM

Quote:

I ordered one off ebay and that was b4 I read the bad Push rod thread. It bothered me so that I just got a used one out of a scrapped 383 and I put it in as Sugguested and WHOLA it works great!! I put the new onr that came in the mail in the cabinets.

GOOD DEAL!!

© 2024 Moparts Forums