Moparts

Heater Fuse Getting Hot???

Posted By: Hoop

Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/17/10 08:20 PM

My Heater Fuse on my Dart gets real hot after one Min. & you can tell its been getting too hot! What do you guys think would be makeing it do that???

Attached picture 6042058-Pictur116.jpg
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/17/10 08:24 PM

Heater motor or blower motor resistor going bad.

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/17/10 09:20 PM

I'm thinking resistor too, So Would a 71 dart heater blower resistor work on a 72 dart ???
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/17/10 09:26 PM

If it still does it on high speed it is not the resistor, high bypasses the resistor
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/17/10 09:40 PM

There is no way a fuse should be getting hot. They are rated by the amps the wires/components can handle (actually the fuse is a lower rating), so the only thing that can cause a fuse to get hot is exactly what I'm seeing in your picture, CORROSION. The fuses are not making good contact in the holders due to rust.
Posted By: stubbs300

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/17/10 09:45 PM

Quote:

There is no way a fuse should be getting hot. They are rated by the amps the wires/components can handle (actually the fuse is a lower rating), so the only thing that can cause a fuse to get hot is exactly what I'm seeing in your picture, CORROSION. The fuses are not making good contact in the holders due to rust.

Geeeez, no kidding, thats terrible! I would think the fuse would blow first. I'd hate to see what your bulkhead connector looks like. Looks like a fire waiting to happen!
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/17/10 09:50 PM

on my 68 Dart the wiper pivot leaked water and driped right into the fuse box and stayed rust

those need sand blasted and some die-electric grease

sure wont hurt to change that fuse thats all rusted on the inside of the glass
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/17/10 09:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Geeeez, no kidding, thats terrible! I would think the fuse would blow first. I'd hate to see what your bulkhead connector looks like. Looks like a fire waiting to happen!

Nope, the rust is LIMITING current. The heat is caused by the extra resistance. Heat in Watts is I^2*R (as I recall). So, with a very low resistance, which fuses and wire are SUPPOSED to be, there won't be much heat, but start adding resistance (even though the current will go DOWN) and you start making heat.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/17/10 09:59 PM

Jim is 100% correct.
Posted By: Pat_Whalen

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/17/10 10:37 PM

Quote:

Jim is 100% correct.

110%, I believe...
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/18/10 12:28 AM

Had a similar problem in my 79 B300. After replacing the blower motor and not fixing it, I got smart(?) and checked the wiring. There was a plug connector in between the switch gear and the motor that was corroded. Quick connector replace, works as new, and now I have a spare blower motor!!!

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/21/10 07:40 PM

Quote:

on my 68 Dart the wiper pivot leaked water and driped right into the fuse box and stayed rust

those need sand blasted and some die-electric grease

sure wont hurt to change that fuse thats all rusted on the inside of the glass

That is a new fuse, wear it got hot, it did that in one mouth!

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/21/10 07:51 PM

It douse it on all speeds, So I,ll tray to see if I can sand it down some how, see if that helps!
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/21/10 08:02 PM

wow looks like that in a month??

put on a jacket and ride with the heater off/windows up,IMHO

Posted By: 2DoorPost

Re: Heater Fuse Getting Hot??? - 06/21/10 10:14 PM

I have a van that was doing the same thing,the fuse got real hot then it would blow the fuse after 4-5 minutes.The blower motor needed oil,now it works great!
© 2024 Moparts Forums