Moparts

440-externally balanced

Posted By: Sixt8Chrgr

440-externally balanced - 06/16/10 02:42 AM

If I put an externally balanced 440 in my 68 Charger with a torque flight can I use the stock torque converter that came with the 68 original torque flight that is in the car?

I know I have to use an externally balanced flex plate but don't much from there. Dont much about automatics.

Thanks,
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 440-externally balanced - 06/16/10 05:49 AM

The external balance of the last years of the 440 needed both : The correct harmonic balancer AND weighted torque converter. Since you want to retain the older non weighted '68 converter, you have 2 options: You can have the correct weight balance added to your '68 converter OR get the B&M flexplate with the balance offset factored in.
I would have the converter modified. A trans shop can either do it or recommend a source. It can be done for less than $50.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: 440-externally balanced - 06/16/10 11:01 AM

Quote:

The external balance of the last years of the 440 needed both : The correct harmonic balancer AND weighted torque converter. Since you want to retain the older non weighted '68 converter, you have 2 options: You can have the correct weight balance added to your '68 converter OR get the B&M flexplate with the balance offset factored in.
I would have the converter modified. A trans shop can either do it or recommend a source. It can be done for less than $50.

Use both and you willhave no problems at - been done a kazillion times.

Re: 440-externally balanced - 06/16/10 11:39 AM

I suppose another option would be to buy a new externally balanced torque converter?

I saw the flex plate on the B&M site.

Thanks
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 440-externally balanced - 06/16/10 11:39 AM

Just get the B&M flexplate for the externally balanced 440 and be done with it. Then you're free to use whatever converter you want. Not to mention it's just a simple bolt in deal and easier than trying to find someone to weld on the weight in the correct spot on the converter.

B&M 10238 if you have a forged crank ext. balance 440
B&M 10237 if you have a cast crank ext. balance 440

Re: 440-externally balanced - 06/16/10 11:46 AM

Thanks Chip
Posted By: Commando1

Re: 440-externally balanced - 06/16/10 01:11 PM

Quote:

Flex plate and torque converter?
Seems counter-intuitive.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 440-externally balanced - 06/17/10 04:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Flex plate and torque converter?
Seems counter-intuitive.

you might want to read this AGAIN ...

Quote:

© 2024 Moparts Forums