Moparts

Which posi brand is better?

Posted By: v8punch

Which posi brand is better? - 08/11/08 11:46 PM

I want to change my rear end from opem to posi. My case is 741 and I need to now wich brand is better: youkon cluch type or auburn cone type?
thanks.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/12/08 12:11 AM

Clutch type because it's rebuildable.
Posted By: moparcyco

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/12/08 12:17 AM

Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/12/08 01:50 AM

Quote:

I want to change my rear end from opem to posi. My case is 741 and I need to now wich brand is better: youkon cluch type or auburn cone type?
thanks.

clutch type , do not waste a penny on any cone type , especially the auburn
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/12/08 01:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

thanks.

clutch type , do not waste a penny on any cone type , especially the auburn

110%

Dr Diff - Cass sells them and all the hardware you will need...
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/12/08 01:22 PM

Anyone ever use an air-locker ?
Posted By: Moonraker

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/12/08 03:06 PM

Drop the extra cash and get a Detroit Locker or True Trac, better than cone or clutch.
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/12/08 03:17 PM

Quote:

Drop the extra cash and get a Detroit Locker or True Trac, better than cone or clutch.

i love my true trac if you do more street driving get the truc trac if you more oon the drag strip go with the locker.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/12/08 03:30 PM

8 replies and nobody's you for calling is a posi rather than a sure-grip.....Moparts must be getting soft!

Based on the sage advice here (and Johnrr's comments in particular) I purchased a clutch type unit for the Super Bee. Of course at this rate, it'll last forever since the car seems it'll never be done!

Dave
Posted By: 540challenger

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/12/08 03:34 PM

Quote:

8 replies and nobody's you for calling is a posi rather than a sure-grip.....Moparts must be getting soft!

Based on the sage advice here (and Johnrr's comments in particular) I purchased a clutch type unit for the Super Bee. Of course at this rate, it'll last forever since the car seems it'll never be done!

Dave

posi doesn't bother me as much as when someone calls a six pac a tripower then all
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/12/08 04:37 PM

Quote:

Dave

too many brand X guys have jumped ship and infested mopars , instead we just point, snicker and shake our heads when someone says the word posi

plus he is asking about the auburn which IS a posi POS .
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/12/08 05:15 PM

Quote:

too many brand X guys have jumped ship and infested mopars , instead we just point, snicker and shake our heads when someone says the word posi

:

OK, now I'm clear on the appropriate protocol!

Dave
Posted By: NachoRT74

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/12/08 05:19 PM

I HAVE TO call it POSI no matter what, since NOBODY in Venezuela knows the name SUREGRIP
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/12/08 08:13 PM

Get with DrDiff (board Member) and buy a Dana Spicer POWR-LOK which is the industry standard for limited slip differentials. It's very strong, rebuildable and there is one for an 8 3/4 rear.

Cost is very reasonable.

R.

I had to go on the Dana webpage to get the right spelling.
Posted By: v8punch

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/13/08 12:04 AM

I saw on ebay a SUREgrip clutch tipe for a good price... the seller said its the original brand....
I have a 383 450hp challenger but with open rear end type and I donīt now the ratio... probably 2.79(76?) o 3.23...
The case is 471, I'll need only the suregrip unit, bearings and gears 3.55 or I'll need more parts?
Thanks guys.... sorry about posi... I'm a MOPAR guy, and a Ford Mavevikc guy too..... but never brand X guy!

One more question: Can I use the larger pinion on 471 case? What I'll need to do to use it?
Thanks.
Posted By: Moonraker

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/13/08 03:18 AM

Quote:

I saw on ebay a SUREgrip clutch tipe for a good price... the seller said its the original brand....
I have a 383 450hp challenger but with open rear end type and I donīt now the ratio... probably 2.79(76?) o 3.23...
The case is 471, I'll need only the suregrip unit, bearings and gears 3.55 or I'll need more parts?
Thanks guys.... sorry about posi... I'm a MOPAR guy, and a Ford Mavevikc guy too..... but never brand X guy!

One more question: Can I use the larger pinion on 471 case? What I'll need to do to use it?
Thanks.

No pinion diameters are specific for for each case housing i.e. 741, 742, and 489 etc. 741 cases are considered weak by some peoples standards but I'll attach the following thread by DrDiff a fellow board member that explains a lot.
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/1.html
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Which posi brand is better? - 08/13/08 02:39 PM

I'd rather have a brand new one from DrDiff than a used one from the 'bay, even if it meant spending an extra $200. Dana Spicer was the original manufacturer of the POWR-LOK, it is a blessing that these are now in production again. IIRC the new price is below $500.

R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums