Moparts

1960 Chrysler New Yorker brake pedal goes to the floor.

Posted By: nd65

1960 Chrysler New Yorker brake pedal goes to the floor. - 06/08/10 02:03 PM

My neighbor has a 1960 New Yorker and last week his brake pedal went all the way to the floor and now has no brakes. He has fluid and no leaks are evident.

Could it be the master cylinder or power booster? Anyone changed these out on a 1960 before? How difficult? He has a factory service manual I am are going to use.

Any ideas before I start replacing parts for him?

Thanks,
Posted By: cptn60

Re: 1960 Chrysler New Yorker brake pedal goes to the floor. - 06/08/10 02:19 PM

Most likely the Master Cyl. I would pull the cyl and check for fluid seepage into the booster.
Posted By: therocks

Re: 1960 Chrysler New Yorker brake pedal goes to the floor. - 06/08/10 03:37 PM

Just get a master for a 69 C body with drums.I have one on my kids 62 300 and its been perfect for 10 years.You do have to plumb it in for the extra line.I got some brass blocks in the junk yard off of older mopars with drum brakes so I didnt have to try and find any parts.Just remember if you need to check rear brakes you need a special puller to get the drums off.That and the frts have dual wheel cyls.Also get a good 7/16s 6 point socket to adjust them.Rocky

Re: 1960 Chrysler New Yorker brake pedal goes to the floor. - 06/09/10 12:06 PM

If it were my car I would switch to the dual master. Not sure if I can convince my buddy. all of the brakes were checked and adjusted last summer at a shop.

I hope to just change the master and be done.

Thanks guys,
Posted By: gamagoat6x6

Re: 1960 Chrysler New Yorker brake pedal goes to the floor. - 06/09/10 09:31 PM

If the master is still full then it can only be fluid bypassing inside the master or something bad happened inside one of the brake assemblies but that will usually cause a big leak. kits are available for the master.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 1960 Chrysler New Yorker brake pedal goes to the floor. - 06/10/10 12:12 AM

Did this just start or has the pedal dropped gradually over time? Really loose brake shoe adjustment can use all of the MC's volume in one pedal stroke.

Will pumping the pedal raise it?

Re: 1960 Chrysler New Yorker brake pedal goes to the floor. - 06/10/10 12:04 PM

He has had a spongy pedal. When he had the brakes adjusted the shop said all wheel cylinders and brakes looked fine. He went to drive it last week and the pedal went to the floor and will not pump up.

Thanks,
Posted By: therocks

Re: 1960 Chrysler New Yorker brake pedal goes to the floor. - 06/10/10 02:06 PM

If its going to the floor Id say master is bad.It was pretty common back in the day to have it happen.Unless its a Show car Id put a dual master on it.Most people wont even know its there.I know my dads cousin was in the Model A thing.Changing to hydraulic brakes was one of the things that they allowed for safety.Just remember that the brakes have 2 adjusters on each wheel.Rocky
© 2024 Moparts Forums