Moparts

Converted to electronic ignition now doesn't charge

Posted By: jon01

Converted to electronic ignition now doesn't charge - 06/07/10 02:11 AM

Car is a 68 Coronet.
Simply installed an orange box and corresponding distributor. Charged fine before, now nothing.
Double checked connections at the alternator, bulkhead and voltage regulator.
Where should I start troubleshooting?

Thanks guys!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Converted to electronic ignition now doesn't charge - 06/07/10 03:11 AM

turn ign sw to "on" and w your VOM see if you have fire @ the VR and to the green wire at the alt field terminal. OE 68 type VR and single field terminal alt I am assuming.

Re: Converted to electronic ignition now doesn't charge - 06/07/10 03:15 AM

Quote:

turn ign sw to "on" and w your VOM see if you have fire @ the VR and to the green wire at the alt field terminal. OE 68 type VR and single field terminal alt I am assuming.

Will do, thanks for the quick response!

Re: Converted to electronic ignition now doesn't charge - 06/10/10 01:35 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Will do, thanks for the quick response!

Did this, have power at the green wire coming out of the VR as well as the field terminal.
Do not have power at the stud at the back of the alternator unless engine is running - key on, now power.
Posted By: macmic87

Re: Converted to electronic ignition now doesn't charge - 06/10/10 02:23 AM

if you are going from points to electronic, don't you need a dual field alternator?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Converted to electronic ignition now doesn't charge - 06/10/10 03:04 AM

Quote:

Do not have power at the stud at the back of the alternator unless engine is running - key on, now power.

You have no power at the large batt stud w the eng not running but with the eng runnning you do have power there (alt is charging)? but the ammeter inside is reading discharge? If I have that right check the large wire from the alt batt stud back to the bulkhead and if both sides of it's connection on the bulkhead are OK then go inside to the ammeter. if I'm not grasping this give me more info.
Posted By: HealthServices

Re: Converted to electronic ignition now doesn't charge - 06/10/10 06:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You have no power at the large batt stud w the eng not running but with the eng runnning you do have power there (alt is charging)? but the ammeter inside is reading discharge? If I have that right check the large wire from the alt batt stud back to the bulkhead and if both sides of it's connection on the bulkhead are OK then go inside to the ammeter. if I'm not grasping this give me more info.

I'm with Robert...

If you have a clean connection (Black batt Wire) at alternator all the way to through the bulkhead connector and to the ammeter you would have battery voltage with the key off.

Your statement says you do not. Check the wire as Robert mentions and the connection at the bulkhead. Or reword the statement with more info.
© 2024 Moparts Forums